AFRICA/SUDAN - Increasing acts of intimidation against the Church
Khartoum (Agenzia Fides) - There are increasing acts of intimidation against priests and missionaries on behalf of the authorities of Sudan. This was denounced to Fides Agency by local Church sources that for security reasons have requested anonymity.
In particular, in September four priests were summoned several times by the security services (Sudan National Security Intelligence Agency) in order to be questioned.
A priest reported that during his interrogation, the security men accused him of being a spy at the service of another African Country, having among other things spent a training period abroad. The priest calmly replied that the allegations are unjustified.
Both the passport and his mobile phone were detained by security officials "for verification".
According to our sources, this episode is just one example of intimidation carried out by the Sudanese authorities against the Catholic Church. Recently, in fact, some church centers were closed, several priests and foreign missionaries were forced to leave the country, while others did not have their residence permit renewed or were refused entry into the Country. Finally, the meetings of the church and the faithful movements are controlled by a network of informers .
The government in Khartoum has already expelled all foreign missionaries of other Christian churches. There are fears now that the future of the Catholic Church in Sudan is at risk. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 26/09/2013)
- 2014-02-01 AFRICA/SUDAN - "Let us not forget the suffering of the peoples of Sudan", says the Church
- 2014-01-10 AFRICA/SUDAN - Anemia, typhoid, diarrhea and cough are the causes for thousands of deaths in South Darfur
- 2013-12-13 AFRICA/SUDAN - 25% less aid to 6 million Sudanese in difficulty
- 2013-12-12 AFRICA/SUDAN - The military hospitals refuse to treat the militiamen
- 2013-11-15 AFRICA/SUDAN - Armed militiamen attack farmers and take turns raping women farmers in North Darfur
- 2013-11-12 AFRICA/SUDAN - 7000 inhabitants in South Darfur do not have drinking water and basic services
- 2013-11-06 AFRICA/SUDAN - Air raid on a school in the area of the Nuba Mountains: people killed and wounded
- 2013-10-15 AFRICA/SUDAN - Training courses for Sudanese teachers in refugee camps in Chad
- 2013-09-27 AFRICA/SUDAN - Dozens killed in clashes in Khartoum during the protests for the rise in fuel prices
- 2013-09-26 AFRICA/SUDAN - Increasing acts of intimidation against the Church