AFRICA/SUDAN - Increasing acts of intimidation against the Church
Khartoum (Agenzia Fides) - There are increasing acts of intimidation against priests and missionaries on behalf of the authorities of Sudan. This was denounced to Fides Agency by local Church sources that for security reasons have requested anonymity.
In particular, in September four priests were summoned several times by the security services (Sudan National Security Intelligence Agency) in order to be questioned.
A priest reported that during his interrogation, the security men accused him of being a spy at the service of another African Country, having among other things spent a training period abroad. The priest calmly replied that the allegations are unjustified.
Both the passport and his mobile phone were detained by security officials "for verification".
According to our sources, this episode is just one example of intimidation carried out by the Sudanese authorities against the Catholic Church. Recently, in fact, some church centers were closed, several priests and foreign missionaries were forced to leave the country, while others did not have their residence permit renewed or were refused entry into the Country. Finally, the meetings of the church and the faithful movements are controlled by a network of informers .
The government in Khartoum has already expelled all foreign missionaries of other Christian churches. There are fears now that the future of the Catholic Church in Sudan is at risk. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 26/09/2013)
- 2014-11-12 - AFRICA/SUDAN – Alarm: haemorrhagic fever in Southern Kordofan
- 2014-10-01 - Epidemics and food shortages in refugee camps in Kass, South Darfur
- 2014-09-24 - Severe floods are affecting tens of thousands of new refugees in Darfur
- 2014-09-05 - AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN – Appeal for embargo on arms entering South Sudan, grave humanitarian crisis impending
- 2014-07-21 - AFRICA/SUDAN – Sudan bans the construction of new churches
- 2014-07-14 - Stop to the building of churches by the authorities in Khartoum
- 2014-07-09 - Torrential rains worsen the living conditions of hundreds of thousands of displaced persons
- 2014-07-02 - Humanitarian crisis and lack of investment in social sectors affect 70% of children
- 2014-06-25 - Over 4,500 homeless children in the capital of South Darfur
- 2014-06-02 - "The condemnation of Mariam Yehya Ibrahim is a direct persecution of Christians " say the Sudanese Christian Churches