AFRICA/SUDAN - No food for 10,000 displaced people in 18 months in West Darfur
El Geneina (Agenzia Fides) - The displaced people in refugee camps in El Geneina, capital of West Darfur, are suffering a severe food crisis and live in conditions of total insecurity. One of the elders of the camp of El Riyadh told the local Radio Dabanga that about 10,000 residents have not received food rations for 18 months due to the lack of re-registration of their names throughout this period. The lack of access to food, even for those who had been registered, has led to extremely difficult living conditions. Food rations, which are currently distributed to those in possession of identification documents, have been reduced by 75% and reduced only to corn. The monthly ration is now limited to a dish and a half per person compared to five which were usually distributed in the past.
The elder of the refugee camp urged the leaders of the food distribution to solve the problem of identity documents as soon as possible and to increase the food rations. At the same time, the security situation in the camps of El Geneina is worsening, due to increasing attacks by armed militias. An elder of the camp of Abu Zer reported that IDPs in camps are not safe, even in their own homes, because of repeated attacks and killings by armed gangs at night. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 25/09/2013)
- 2013-12-12 AFRICA/SUDAN - The military hospitals refuse to treat the militiamen
- 2013-11-15 AFRICA/SUDAN - Armed militiamen attack farmers and take turns raping women farmers in North Darfur
- 2013-11-12 AFRICA/SUDAN - 7000 inhabitants in South Darfur do not have drinking water and basic services
- 2013-11-06 AFRICA/SUDAN - Air raid on a school in the area of the Nuba Mountains: people killed and wounded
- 2013-10-15 AFRICA/SUDAN - Training courses for Sudanese teachers in refugee camps in Chad
- 2013-09-27 AFRICA/SUDAN - Dozens killed in clashes in Khartoum during the protests for the rise in fuel prices
- 2013-09-26 AFRICA/SUDAN - Increasing acts of intimidation against the Church
- 2013-09-25 AFRICA/SUDAN - No food for 10,000 displaced people in 18 months in West Darfur
- 2013-09-12 AFRICA/SUDAN - New bombings in the Nuba Mountains in Sudan and South Sudan have been denounced
- 2013-07-26 AFRICA/SUDAN - "Converted being tracked down"