AMERICA/MEXICO - "Do not take advantage of the tragedy": the Bishop of Córdoba asks authorities for transparency
Cordoba (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishop of the Diocese of Córdoba, His Exc. Mgr. Eduardo Patiño Leal, has called on the authorities and politicians of different sectors, not to take advantage of the families affected by the hurricane Ingrid and tropical storm Manuel in the area of Veracruz and anywhere else in the country. "It would be sad if anyone took advantage of the tragedy and pain of the victims, for political interest or just to appear in public", said Mgr. Patiño Leal asking everyone to show solidarity with those most affected. The authorities are also asked for clarity and transparency in the management of the resources allocated to the affected areas through the National Fund for National Disasters (Fonden), to try to repair the damage caused by the rains (see Fides 19/09/2013). In the note sent to Fides Agency, Mgr. Patino Leal also informed that the next meeting with the Bishops of every diocese, in Veracruz, will talk about the support needed in each affected area.
The storm Manuel and hurricane Ingrid caused torrential rains and floods on both sides of the Pacific (for Manuel) and on the Atlantic (for Ingrid, the second Atlantic hurricane of the season), which devastated much of the Mexican territory. There has been damage in 20 of the 32 states of Mexico. The local press reports more than 100 people who have died and a million homeless, an unprecedented situation in the recent history of the country. Only in the state of Veracruz, in eastern Mexico, the toll is heavy: a landslide killed 12 people. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 24/09/2013)
- 2015-08-03 - Solidarity Prize: Spanish Bishops in favour of Las Patronas candidature
- 2015-07-27 - Mariachi Zombie: amusing animated television series discredits bad zombie myth
- 2015-07-22 - Truth, justice, forgiveness and reconciliation: the pillars of peace promoted by the Church
- 2015-07-20 - Young Chiapas form an orchestra with pre-Hispanic instruments
- 2015-07-14 - Bishops on the escape of El Chapo, "we are not naive, we must eradicate corruption"
- 2015-07-13 - "Corruption spreads when transparency remains only good intentions": the Catholic voice before the scandals
- 2015-07-02 - A recreational project for indigenous children of different ethnicities
- 2015-07-02 - Widespread violence does not spare even three elderly nuns
- 2015-06-25 - Periodic monitoring of the situation of migrants, joint efforts of government and Church
- 2015-06-15 - Bishop of Mazatlan’s appeal after the violence perpetrated during the weekend