AFRICA/KENYA - Religious leaders united: "we are convinced beyond doubt that the attempt to sow seeds of discord between Christians and Muslims will fail"
Nairobi (Agenzia Fides) - The attack carried out by the Somali Shabaab against the Westgate Mall in Nairobi has been condemned by religious Kenyan leaders participating in the Inter-Religious Council.
"We, religious leaders, are engaged in a robust dialogue to ensure that these relations are not just maintained but also made stronger. We are convinced beyond doubt that the attempt to sow seeds of discord between Muslims and Christians will fail miserably and that we shall remain united" said Adan Wachu, Secretary General of the Supreme Council of Muslims of Kenya.
Anglican Bishop of Nairobi, Joel Waweru Mwangi, said: "We are disheartened with whatever happened, but we want to call our Christian brothers and sisters to keep peace and maintain peace".
According to testimonies gathered by survivors, it seems the attackers targeted their victims based on religious affiliation, saving the Muslims, to whom they asked to recite the Shahada, the Muslim profession of faith. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 23/09/2013)
- 2014-12-18 - Clashes among MPs on anti-terrorism law could put fundamental freedoms at risk
- 2014-12-12 - Christian leaders ask Muslims "for a deliberate and concerted effort" to stop the violence of the Shabaab
- 2014-12-05 - AFRICA/KENYA – Bishop of Kakamega resigns, successor appointed
- 2014-12-02 - Coadjutor Bishop of Garissa: "One is trying to destabilize the north of Kenya"
- 2014-12-01 - Justice and Peace Commission: The state of insecurity is to be declared "national disaster"
- 2014-11-24 - Security measures have been intensified in front of churches after the massacre of the bus
- 2014-11-19 - AFRICA/KENYA – Joint tests of Church and State on the tetanus vaccine considered a means of birth control
- 2014-11-11 - The government presents a commission of inquiry on the tetanus vaccination after the protests of the Church
- 2014-11-07 - Bishops reaffirm: "tetanus vaccination is a program of population control in disguise"
- 2014-11-04 - The comfort of the Church for the victims of the attack in the area of Lake Turkana