AFRICA/KENYA - Religious leaders united: "we are convinced beyond doubt that the attempt to sow seeds of discord between Christians and Muslims will fail"
Nairobi (Agenzia Fides) - The attack carried out by the Somali Shabaab against the Westgate Mall in Nairobi has been condemned by religious Kenyan leaders participating in the Inter-Religious Council.
"We, religious leaders, are engaged in a robust dialogue to ensure that these relations are not just maintained but also made stronger. We are convinced beyond doubt that the attempt to sow seeds of discord between Muslims and Christians will fail miserably and that we shall remain united" said Adan Wachu, Secretary General of the Supreme Council of Muslims of Kenya.
Anglican Bishop of Nairobi, Joel Waweru Mwangi, said: "We are disheartened with whatever happened, but we want to call our Christian brothers and sisters to keep peace and maintain peace".
According to testimonies gathered by survivors, it seems the attackers targeted their victims based on religious affiliation, saving the Muslims, to whom they asked to recite the Shahada, the Muslim profession of faith. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 23/09/2013)
- 2014-10-17 - The Bishops: "What does the tetanus campaign hide?"
- 2014-09-05 - “Enough violence in northern Kenya!” cry Catholic Bishops
- 2014-09-05 - AFRICA/KENYA – New Rector for St. Matthias Mulumba Major seminary in the diocese of Eldoret
- 2014-09-05 - diocesan Major Seminary in the diocese of Nakuru, appointed.
- 2014-09-04 - AFRICA/KENYA – Rector for St. Thomas Aquinas major seminary in Nairobi appointed
- 2014-07-23 - Works begin on a new center for disabled children in the village of Kandisi
- 2014-07-18 - The First Lady praised the Church's role in improving the lives of millions of Kenyans
- 2014-07-17 - The army have discovered four fields where the perpetrators of the attacks in the coastal region hide
- 2014-07-15 - The perpetrators of the attacks against some villages on the coast have been identified
- 2014-07-09 - Bishops' appeal: "The media play a pivotal role in the Country"