AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - Two grenades found in the cathedral of Bossangoa
Bangui (Agenzia Fides) - Two unexploded grenades were discovered in the cathedral of Bossangoa, the Central African town 300 km north-west from Bangui, the center of fighting between members of the coalition Seleka and a number of armed groups, including men loyal to former President François Bozizé, who is originally from the area.
The clashes caused hundreds of deaths and thousands of civilians were forced to flee. According to the Vicar General of the diocese, Father Frédéric Tonfio, the IDPs who arrived in the city are about 35,000.
The diocesan Chancellor of Bossangoa, told Fides Agency that these people have been accommodated in different buildings "including the seminar and the Catholic school". The priest added that on September 19, "the Secretary-General, the Imam of the city, the local representative of Seleka and the commander of FOMAC (African Force in Central Africa) met to discuss ways to make the displaced people return back home" .
Fr. Tonfio said the grenades found in the cathedral have been entrusted to the military of FOMAC.
Tension remains high because the clashes, attributed by Seleka to the men who remained loyal to Bozizé, according to independent sources can be attributed in large part to self-defense groups organized by the local population tired of the abuses committed by the rebels (LM) (Agenzia Fides 21/09/2013)
- 2015-11-23 - The video message from Pope Francis brought to the Muslims by the Archbishop of Bangui
- 2015-10-28 - Archbishop of Bangui tells Fides that he was not kidnapped during a visit to the Central Mosque
- 2015-10-14 - The PMS invite to "put an end to hostility and bickering" and ask for sanctions and compensation
- 2015-10-01 - AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA – More clashes, but people want the stability of institutions
- 2015-09-29 - Thousands of people find refuge in parishes
- 2015-09-29 - Bangui in chaos: the reconstruction of the accidents, towards an uncertain future
- 2015-09-08 - Archbishop of Bangui: "Authority and the international community have to take on their responsibility to stop the violence"
- 2015-08-19 - The 2015 Sergio Vieira de Mello Prize will be awarded to the Interfaith Peace Platform
- 2015-07-24 - AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA – Training to counter unemployment: 29 teachers receive diploma
- 2015-05-18 - "We have to be humble to have the courage to forgive one another", said the Archbishop of Bangui