AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - Two grenades found in the cathedral of Bossangoa
Bangui (Agenzia Fides) - Two unexploded grenades were discovered in the cathedral of Bossangoa, the Central African town 300 km north-west from Bangui, the center of fighting between members of the coalition Seleka and a number of armed groups, including men loyal to former President François Bozizé, who is originally from the area.
The clashes caused hundreds of deaths and thousands of civilians were forced to flee. According to the Vicar General of the diocese, Father Frédéric Tonfio, the IDPs who arrived in the city are about 35,000.
The diocesan Chancellor of Bossangoa, told Fides Agency that these people have been accommodated in different buildings "including the seminar and the Catholic school". The priest added that on September 19, "the Secretary-General, the Imam of the city, the local representative of Seleka and the commander of FOMAC (African Force in Central Africa) met to discuss ways to make the displaced people return back home" .
Fr. Tonfio said the grenades found in the cathedral have been entrusted to the military of FOMAC.
Tension remains high because the clashes, attributed by Seleka to the men who remained loyal to Bozizé, according to independent sources can be attributed in large part to self-defense groups organized by the local population tired of the abuses committed by the rebels (LM) (Agenzia Fides 21/09/2013)
- 2014-09-18 - "He protected the Muslims": the Alison Des Forges Award to a Central African camillian
- 2014-09-16 - “Central African crisis not insuperable” says Archbishop of Bangui
- 2014-08-18 - The Archbishop of Bangui to politicians "stop the suffering of the people as soon as possible"
- 2014-07-17 - Civil society presents a scheme to lead the country out of the crisis
- 2014-07-11 - "Immediate start of the process of disarmament to ensure safety" ask religious leaders and politicians
- 2014-07-09 - 17 people who sought refuge in the area of the Cathedral in Bambari have been killed
- 2014-07-08 - AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA – The Cathedral in Bambari besieged by rebels
- 2014-07-01 - Twelve thousand refugees in the Cathedral of Bambari, the Bishop's appeal to Fides
- 2014-06-30 - "Civil society organizes itself, but authorities do not always help", says a missionary
- 2014-06-12 - The Archbishop of Bangui brings aid to 600 Muslims fleeing violence