AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - Two grenades found in the cathedral of Bossangoa
Bangui (Agenzia Fides) - Two unexploded grenades were discovered in the cathedral of Bossangoa, the Central African town 300 km north-west from Bangui, the center of fighting between members of the coalition Seleka and a number of armed groups, including men loyal to former President François Bozizé, who is originally from the area.
The clashes caused hundreds of deaths and thousands of civilians were forced to flee. According to the Vicar General of the diocese, Father Frédéric Tonfio, the IDPs who arrived in the city are about 35,000.
The diocesan Chancellor of Bossangoa, told Fides Agency that these people have been accommodated in different buildings "including the seminar and the Catholic school". The priest added that on September 19, "the Secretary-General, the Imam of the city, the local representative of Seleka and the commander of FOMAC (African Force in Central Africa) met to discuss ways to make the displaced people return back home" .
Fr. Tonfio said the grenades found in the cathedral have been entrusted to the military of FOMAC.
Tension remains high because the clashes, attributed by Seleka to the men who remained loyal to Bozizé, according to independent sources can be attributed in large part to self-defense groups organized by the local population tired of the abuses committed by the rebels (LM) (Agenzia Fides 21/09/2013)
- 2014-03-05 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - Imam of Bangui: "If we want peace, we must be impartial and condemn all forms of violence"
- 2014-02-26 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC – Work goes on at Bangui university despite chaos
- 2014-02-24 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC - “churches and mosques must be rid of armed infiltrators”: say the Catholic Archbishop and the Imam of Bangui
- 2014-02-18 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "The Anti Balaka are doing more damage than Seleka", says a missionary
- 2014-02-14 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "God exists and God knows"
- 2014-02-10 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - Religious leaders’ appeal: "Do not drag religion into political conflict"
- 2014-02-07 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "Christians and Muslims: the same blood, the same language, the same Country"
- 2014-02-04 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "The situation in Bouar is a bit calmer although there are reprisals against the Muslims"
- 2014-01-27 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA – Are the Anti Balaka really a "Christian militia"?
- 2014-01-23 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "The State has collapsed, UN intervention is needed": appeal of the Archbishop of Bangui and the Imam