AMERICA/BRAZIL - Violence, murders and suicides, the indigenous people hope in the aid of the Church
Balsas (Agenzia Fides) - His Exc. Mgr. Erwin Kräutler, Bishop of the Prelature of Xingu in Pará and president of CIMI, and Mgr. Enemesio Lazzaris, bishop of the Diocese of Balsas, in Maranhão and president of the Pastoral Land Commission (CPT), have denounced the agricultural speculation that damage the rights of indigenous peoples.
Several indigenous communities have in fact been forcibly expelled from the land where they lived in order to be occupied by agricultural enterprises.
A report by the CIMI (Indigenous Missionary Council) states that from 2003 to 2012, there were 317 murders of indigenous people in the State, out of a total of 563 throughout the Country during the same period. Between 2000 and 2012, segregation on roadsides or in tiny reservations led to the suicide of 611 indigenous people, mostly young people aged between 14 and 25, according to data from DSEI (District of Indigenous Health). These are just some of the dramatic situations reported by the Bishops .
The APIB (Asociacion de los Pueblos Indígenas de Brasil) announced, between 30 September and 5 October, a national mobilization for the rights of indigenous peoples and their recognition in the Constitution. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 21/09/2013)
- 2015-07-25 - AMERICA/BRAZIL – Franciscan Sister murdered
- 2015-07-23 - Mission Campaign 2015: material ready
- 2015-07-21 - The water crisis threatens millions of people
- 2015-07-20 - A video documents the first missionary experience of young people in the Amazon
- 2015-07-01 - The indifference of the state in the face of a situation of injustice denounced by the Bishop of Dourados
- 2015-06-25 - More than 20,000 people every week prepare themselves for the feast of Our Lady of Perpetual Help
- 2015-06-23 - Report of CIMI: suicide and infant mortality are decimating the indigenous population
- 2015-06-16 - On the border between Peru and Bolivia, crossroads of migrants
- 2015-06-16 - "No to prejudice, yes to rights and participation": week of Migrants
- 2015-06-10 - From Haiti to Brazil in the hands of human traffickers, with the hope of a better future