AFRICA/NIGERIA - "I am happy to be a Catholic" Holy Childhood celebrates the Year of Faith
Makurdi ( Agenzia Fides) - "I am happy to be a Catholic" was the theme chosen by Holy Childhood Association of Nigeria for the celebration of the Year of Faith, which was held at the "St. Thomas Aquinas" Major Seminary in Makurdi, in Benue state.
According to information sent to Fides Agency by Fr. George Ajana, National Director of the Pontifical Mission Societies (PMS) in Nigeria, the meeting which was held from August 5 to 9, was attended by over 400 children and young people from 46 Nigerian dioceses, which were followed by sixty animators, about forty nuns and thirty priests, including the national Coordinator of Holy Childhood and the National Director of the PMS.
In the four days of intense activities, the children took part in the National Quiz competition and a retreat, during which they were led to reflect on the theme of the meeting and how a child can bear witness to Jesus in their own home, at school, in church and in society. The two main reflections were proposed by the National Coordinator of Holy Childhood, Sister Benneth Ezeokoli, IHM and by the National Director of the PMS. In addition to the moments of prayer, such as the Mass, the Mission Rosary, the Eucharistic adoration, the celebration of the sacrament of penance, the children watched a film and attended the award ceremony of the winners of the quiz. The liturgies were animated by the children, and celebrated in the Yoruba, Igbo, Hausa and English language, depending on the diocese engaged in the animation. On this occasion the PMS Diocesan Directors had the opportunity to meet with the National Director for evaluation of the whole program thus far and also to discuss crucial issues about subsequent National PMS programs. (SL) (Agenzia Fides 20/09/2013)
- 2015-02-26 - "Family threatened by materialism and selfishness", say the Bishops
- 2015-02-09 - "We hope that the postponement of the election was made with good intentions", said Mgr. Kaigama
- 2015-02-05 - "If Maiduguri falls into the hands of Boko Haram, it would be a disaster for Africa as a continent"
- 2015-01-26 - The Bishop of Maiduguri: "Boko Haram could conquer the entire north-east before the end of the election"
- 2015-01-23 - The Bishops: "too many politicians resort to slander and incite violence" during the election campaign
- 2015-01-16 - Malnutrition, trauma, violence: urgent medical assistance to the survivors of the attack committed by Boko Haram
- 2015-01-12 - "Future hope for a major demonstration to take place just like the one in Paris to say no to Boko Haram" proposes Mgr. Kaigama
- 2015-01-09 - New violence committed by Boko Haram: perhaps 2,000 dead, several churches burned
- 2015-01-08 - Boko Haram is now a regional problem
- 2014-12-29 - The IDPs in Maiduguri celebrate Christmas among hope and fears of suicide bombs