AFRICA/NIGERIA - "I am happy to be a Catholic" Holy Childhood celebrates the Year of Faith
Makurdi ( Agenzia Fides) - "I am happy to be a Catholic" was the theme chosen by Holy Childhood Association of Nigeria for the celebration of the Year of Faith, which was held at the "St. Thomas Aquinas" Major Seminary in Makurdi, in Benue state.
According to information sent to Fides Agency by Fr. George Ajana, National Director of the Pontifical Mission Societies (PMS) in Nigeria, the meeting which was held from August 5 to 9, was attended by over 400 children and young people from 46 Nigerian dioceses, which were followed by sixty animators, about forty nuns and thirty priests, including the national Coordinator of Holy Childhood and the National Director of the PMS.
In the four days of intense activities, the children took part in the National Quiz competition and a retreat, during which they were led to reflect on the theme of the meeting and how a child can bear witness to Jesus in their own home, at school, in church and in society. The two main reflections were proposed by the National Coordinator of Holy Childhood, Sister Benneth Ezeokoli, IHM and by the National Director of the PMS. In addition to the moments of prayer, such as the Mass, the Mission Rosary, the Eucharistic adoration, the celebration of the sacrament of penance, the children watched a film and attended the award ceremony of the winners of the quiz. The liturgies were animated by the children, and celebrated in the Yoruba, Igbo, Hausa and English language, depending on the diocese engaged in the animation. On this occasion the PMS Diocesan Directors had the opportunity to meet with the National Director for evaluation of the whole program thus far and also to discuss crucial issues about subsequent National PMS programs. (SL) (Agenzia Fides 20/09/2013)
- 2014-07-17 - The President intends to ask a billion dollars to fight Boko Haram
- 2014-07-07 - More than two thousand women widowed largely by the Boko Haram insurgency assisted by the Diocese of Maiduguri
- 2014-06-30 - New attacks in the north: the Bishop of Maiduguri, "the human mind cannot understand what is going on"
- 2014-06-26 - "Let us seek the path of dialogue to end violence", says to Fides Cardinal Onaiyekan
- 2014-06-11 - The Bishops: "necessary to ensure the rights of all religions throughout the Country"
- 2014-06-10 - "Yes to amnesty for Boko Haram, as long as there is sincere repentance and compensation for the victims" says Cardinal Onaiyekan
- 2014-06-06 - The Bishops announce six months of prayer for peace in Nigeria
- 2014-06-06 - "Boko Haram threatens the unity of the army", says Cardinal Onaiyekan to Fides
- 2014-05-28 - Boko Haram: For Cardinal Onaiyekan "It is not enough to condemn violence alone, but it is also necessary to condemn intollerant positions"
- 2014-05-23 - "The kidnapping of the girls in Chibok has united the Country", said the Bishop of Sokoto