AFRICA/NIGERIA - "I am happy to be a Catholic" Holy Childhood celebrates the Year of Faith
Makurdi ( Agenzia Fides) - "I am happy to be a Catholic" was the theme chosen by Holy Childhood Association of Nigeria for the celebration of the Year of Faith, which was held at the "St. Thomas Aquinas" Major Seminary in Makurdi, in Benue state.
According to information sent to Fides Agency by Fr. George Ajana, National Director of the Pontifical Mission Societies (PMS) in Nigeria, the meeting which was held from August 5 to 9, was attended by over 400 children and young people from 46 Nigerian dioceses, which were followed by sixty animators, about forty nuns and thirty priests, including the national Coordinator of Holy Childhood and the National Director of the PMS.
In the four days of intense activities, the children took part in the National Quiz competition and a retreat, during which they were led to reflect on the theme of the meeting and how a child can bear witness to Jesus in their own home, at school, in church and in society. The two main reflections were proposed by the National Coordinator of Holy Childhood, Sister Benneth Ezeokoli, IHM and by the National Director of the PMS. In addition to the moments of prayer, such as the Mass, the Mission Rosary, the Eucharistic adoration, the celebration of the sacrament of penance, the children watched a film and attended the award ceremony of the winners of the quiz. The liturgies were animated by the children, and celebrated in the Yoruba, Igbo, Hausa and English language, depending on the diocese engaged in the animation. On this occasion the PMS Diocesan Directors had the opportunity to meet with the National Director for evaluation of the whole program thus far and also to discuss crucial issues about subsequent National PMS programs. (SL) (Agenzia Fides 20/09/2013)
- 2014-12-17 - The parishes of Maiduguri cares for more than 5,000 displaced people fleeing Boko Haram
- 2014-12-01 - Boko Haram: assault on the capital of Yobe, new victims over the weekend
- 2014-11-29 - Mgr. Kaigama: "Boko Haram attacks Muslims who do not think like them"
- 2014-11-27 - Boko Haram plans attacks with suicide women bombers disguised as nuns
- 2014-11-19 - File: the damage inflicted by Boko Haram to the diocese of Maiduguri
- 2014-11-19 - More than 100,000 Catholics scattered because of Boko Haram, "but we remain to bear witness with our presence", said a priest of Maiduguri
- 2014-11-18 - The President of the Episcopal Conference warns: "The 2015 elections will create a political situation that will be explosive"
- 2014-11-10 - Archbishop Kaigama: "Politicians must abandon the electoral struggle and unite to fight Boko Haram"
- 2014-11-06 - National Prayer Vigil for peace in the nation
- 2014-10-28 - There has not been any negotiation so far with the "real" Boko Haram