AFRICA/NIGERIA - "I am happy to be a Catholic" Holy Childhood celebrates the Year of Faith
Makurdi ( Agenzia Fides) - "I am happy to be a Catholic" was the theme chosen by Holy Childhood Association of Nigeria for the celebration of the Year of Faith, which was held at the "St. Thomas Aquinas" Major Seminary in Makurdi, in Benue state.
According to information sent to Fides Agency by Fr. George Ajana, National Director of the Pontifical Mission Societies (PMS) in Nigeria, the meeting which was held from August 5 to 9, was attended by over 400 children and young people from 46 Nigerian dioceses, which were followed by sixty animators, about forty nuns and thirty priests, including the national Coordinator of Holy Childhood and the National Director of the PMS.
In the four days of intense activities, the children took part in the National Quiz competition and a retreat, during which they were led to reflect on the theme of the meeting and how a child can bear witness to Jesus in their own home, at school, in church and in society. The two main reflections were proposed by the National Coordinator of Holy Childhood, Sister Benneth Ezeokoli, IHM and by the National Director of the PMS. In addition to the moments of prayer, such as the Mass, the Mission Rosary, the Eucharistic adoration, the celebration of the sacrament of penance, the children watched a film and attended the award ceremony of the winners of the quiz. The liturgies were animated by the children, and celebrated in the Yoruba, Igbo, Hausa and English language, depending on the diocese engaged in the animation. On this occasion the PMS Diocesan Directors had the opportunity to meet with the National Director for evaluation of the whole program thus far and also to discuss crucial issues about subsequent National PMS programs. (SL) (Agenzia Fides 20/09/2013)
- 2014-04-15 - The bombing in Abuja 15 days after the shootings in which 20 suspected members of Boko Haram were killed
- 2014-04-14 - Bombing in Abuja: "the victims of the Boko Haram and Al -Qaeda alliance are poor workers", said a priest
- 2014-04-11 - Catholic media practitioners have been called upon to use their profession to bring an end to communal clashes and violence in Nigeria
- 2014-03-31 - "If war crimes were really committed, Nigerians would consider such acts deplorable, but let us first verify the facts", said Mgr. Kaigama
- 2014-03-28 - Cardinal Onaiyekan: "Boko Haram insurgency is an anomaly in the socio-religious environment of the Nigerian nation which does not truly reflect the Country’s Muslim/Christian relationship"
- 2014-03-21 - The government announces the "carrot and stick" approach to defeat Boko Haram: "it should have been used before", said Mgr. Kaigama
- 2014-03-17 - "We are deeply worried" about the recent massacre, say the Bishops of Nigeria
- 2014-03-12 - Some Catholic and Anglican Bishops: "fight against corruption to defeat Boko Haram"
- 2014-03-11 - Boko Haram: over 500 Catholics killed and 20 churches and priests houses destroyed since 2009
- 2014-02-27 - “Move army command to epicentre of Boko Haram violence” Nigerian Senate orders