ASIA/SYRIA - Maalula, land of martyrs: death in odium fidei of the young Sarkis
Damascus ( Agenzia Fides ) - For Syrian Christians, Maalula, the Christian village in the north of Damascus, attacked in recent days by armed Islamist groups, is already a "land of martyrs". Thanks to an eyewitness, a Christian woman named A. (anonymous for security reasons), currently in hospital in Damascus, Fides has reconstructed in detail the fate of three Christians killed in Maalula. Their funerals were celebrated on September 10 in Damascus, in the Greek-Catholic cathedral, in a celebration presided over by Melkite Patriarch Gregory III Laham, in the presence of the bishops of other confessions.
According to what the woman told Fides, the armed groups enter many homes of civilians on September 7, destroying and terrorizing people, damaging all the sacred images. In one house there were three Greek Catholic men Mikhael Taalab, his cousin Antoun Taalab, Sarkis el Zakhm, Mikhael’s grandson, and the woman A. , their relative, who says what happened. The Islamists warned everyone present to convert to Islam. Sarkis answered clearly: "I am a Christian and if you want to kill me because I am a Christian, do it". The young man together with the other two were killed cold bloodedly. The woman was injured and was saved by a miracle, later taken to hospital in Damascus. "What Sarkis did is true martyrdom, a death in odium fidei", said Sister Carmel to Fides, among the Christians of Damascus who assist the displaced in Maalula. Those present at the funeral were very moved. Today 's displaced in Maalula, mostly in Damascus, emphasizes the nun, " ask to be able to return to their homes, in peace and security". (PA) (Agenzia Fides 12/09/2013)
- 2015-06-30 - Thousands of Christian families fleeing Hassakè. Archbishop Hindo: jihadists have found support in the local population
- 2015-06-26 - ASIA/SYRIA – Mass escape from Hassaké, attacked by the jihadists of Daesh. Bishop Audo: "the agenda" of the forces is not clear
- 2015-06-24 - Jihadist attacks in Hassaké. Archbishop Hindo: "they are a sign of weakness and desperation"
- 2015-06-16 - The central districts of Aleppo attacked by rebels
- 2015-06-15 - Patriarchs and Bishops of the Eastern Churches pray together for peace and commemorate the centenary of the "Assyrian Genocide" in Damascus
- 2015-06-12 - President Assad meets the Patriarch and the Synod of Syrian-Orthodox Bishops
- 2015-06-11 - Jihadist militants of al Nusra Front massacre dozens of Druze civilians in Idlib
- 2015-06-09 - The five Patriarchs of Antioch in Damascus: no to the disintegration of Syria
- 2015-06-01 - Muslim leaders for the release of father Murad, but the kidnappers are foreign to the social fabric
- 2015-05-30 - Bishop of Aleppo: unreliable rumors on a jihadist beheaded by an Assyrian soldier. Christians never justify revenge with religious issues