AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - Confusing situation in Bossangoa while the President substitutes the Chief of Staff
Bangui (Agenzia Fides) - "We are trying to understand what is happening in Bossangoa because it is difficult to get accurate information from there. Here in Bozoum the situation is calm" says to Fides Agency Aurelio Gazzera, a Carmelite missionary, who is in Bozoum, about 120 km from Bossangoa, in the northwest of the Central African Republic, area affected by violent clashes between men of the coalition Seleka and those who remained loyal to deposed President François Bozizé (who is from the area).
According to Doctors Without Borders (DWB), in the clashes on 7 and 8 September, at least 100 people lost their lives (see Fides 10/09/2013). DWB also reports of violence against civilians and warns about the result of sectarian conflict.
"Here in Bozoum the displaced are coming from areas affected by the fighting but so far we have managed to gather reliable information from them about what is happening", said Fr. Gazzera.
"At least one witness reports that in Bossangoa there have been several deaths some of whom were thrown into the river, but we do not know whether this is true", says the missionary.
Meanwhile, President Michel Djotodia has dismissed the Chief of Staff of the army, General Jean-Pierre Dolle-Waya, and appointed in his place, General Ferdinand Bombayaké. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 12/09/2013)
- 2014-07-17 - Civil society presents a scheme to lead the country out of the crisis
- 2014-07-11 - "Immediate start of the process of disarmament to ensure safety" ask religious leaders and politicians
- 2014-07-09 - 17 people who sought refuge in the area of the Cathedral in Bambari have been killed
- 2014-07-08 - AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA – The Cathedral in Bambari besieged by rebels
- 2014-07-01 - Twelve thousand refugees in the Cathedral of Bambari, the Bishop's appeal to Fides
- 2014-06-30 - "Civil society organizes itself, but authorities do not always help", says a missionary
- 2014-06-12 - The Archbishop of Bangui brings aid to 600 Muslims fleeing violence
- 2014-06-04 - New attacks against medical facilities and teams who work in Ndélé
- 2014-05-30 - The attack on Our Lady of Fatima parish in which a priest was killed was carried out by foreigners
- 2014-05-12 - "We are in an open-pit prison held hostage by violent people" denounce the Bishops