AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - Confusing situation in Bossangoa while the President substitutes the Chief of Staff
Bangui (Agenzia Fides) - "We are trying to understand what is happening in Bossangoa because it is difficult to get accurate information from there. Here in Bozoum the situation is calm" says to Fides Agency Aurelio Gazzera, a Carmelite missionary, who is in Bozoum, about 120 km from Bossangoa, in the northwest of the Central African Republic, area affected by violent clashes between men of the coalition Seleka and those who remained loyal to deposed President François Bozizé (who is from the area).
According to Doctors Without Borders (DWB), in the clashes on 7 and 8 September, at least 100 people lost their lives (see Fides 10/09/2013). DWB also reports of violence against civilians and warns about the result of sectarian conflict.
"Here in Bozoum the displaced are coming from areas affected by the fighting but so far we have managed to gather reliable information from them about what is happening", said Fr. Gazzera.
"At least one witness reports that in Bossangoa there have been several deaths some of whom were thrown into the river, but we do not know whether this is true", says the missionary.
Meanwhile, President Michel Djotodia has dismissed the Chief of Staff of the army, General Jean-Pierre Dolle-Waya, and appointed in his place, General Ferdinand Bombayaké. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 12/09/2013)
- 2015-11-23 - The video message from Pope Francis brought to the Muslims by the Archbishop of Bangui
- 2015-10-28 - Archbishop of Bangui tells Fides that he was not kidnapped during a visit to the Central Mosque
- 2015-10-14 - The PMS invite to "put an end to hostility and bickering" and ask for sanctions and compensation
- 2015-10-01 - AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA – More clashes, but people want the stability of institutions
- 2015-09-29 - Thousands of people find refuge in parishes
- 2015-09-29 - Bangui in chaos: the reconstruction of the accidents, towards an uncertain future
- 2015-09-08 - Archbishop of Bangui: "Authority and the international community have to take on their responsibility to stop the violence"
- 2015-08-19 - The 2015 Sergio Vieira de Mello Prize will be awarded to the Interfaith Peace Platform
- 2015-07-24 - AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA – Training to counter unemployment: 29 teachers receive diploma
- 2015-05-18 - "We have to be humble to have the courage to forgive one another", said the Archbishop of Bangui