AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - Confusing situation in Bossangoa while the President substitutes the Chief of Staff
Bangui (Agenzia Fides) - "We are trying to understand what is happening in Bossangoa because it is difficult to get accurate information from there. Here in Bozoum the situation is calm" says to Fides Agency Aurelio Gazzera, a Carmelite missionary, who is in Bozoum, about 120 km from Bossangoa, in the northwest of the Central African Republic, area affected by violent clashes between men of the coalition Seleka and those who remained loyal to deposed President François Bozizé (who is from the area).
According to Doctors Without Borders (DWB), in the clashes on 7 and 8 September, at least 100 people lost their lives (see Fides 10/09/2013). DWB also reports of violence against civilians and warns about the result of sectarian conflict.
"Here in Bozoum the displaced are coming from areas affected by the fighting but so far we have managed to gather reliable information from them about what is happening", said Fr. Gazzera.
"At least one witness reports that in Bossangoa there have been several deaths some of whom were thrown into the river, but we do not know whether this is true", says the missionary.
Meanwhile, President Michel Djotodia has dismissed the Chief of Staff of the army, General Jean-Pierre Dolle-Waya, and appointed in his place, General Ferdinand Bombayaké. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 12/09/2013)
- 2013-12-03 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "The arrival of French and African troops is having positive effects"
- 2013-12-02 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - Caritas meeting in Rome on the humanitarian emergency in Central Africa
- 2013-11-26 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - Precarious situation in Central Africa; Paris announces the sending of other 800 soldiers
- 2013-11-21 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "Genocide is probably exaggerated, but anything could happen", says a missionary
- 2013-11-18 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "In Central Africa we risk a new bloodbath" says a missionary
- 2013-11-11 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - Calm returns in Bouar, Caritas in aid of the displaced
- 2013-11-08 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA- The "Republican Pact" signed in Bangui, drawn up in Rome in September
- 2013-10-23 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - Famine and diseases afflicting the Sudanese refugees
- 2013-10-21 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "The Central African Republic is a powder keg", says the Archbishop of Bangui
- 2013-10-08 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - Calm returns in Bangassou. "Now we need to reconcile the souls" says the Bishop