AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - Confusing situation in Bossangoa while the President substitutes the Chief of Staff
Bangui (Agenzia Fides) - "We are trying to understand what is happening in Bossangoa because it is difficult to get accurate information from there. Here in Bozoum the situation is calm" says to Fides Agency Aurelio Gazzera, a Carmelite missionary, who is in Bozoum, about 120 km from Bossangoa, in the northwest of the Central African Republic, area affected by violent clashes between men of the coalition Seleka and those who remained loyal to deposed President François Bozizé (who is from the area).
According to Doctors Without Borders (DWB), in the clashes on 7 and 8 September, at least 100 people lost their lives (see Fides 10/09/2013). DWB also reports of violence against civilians and warns about the result of sectarian conflict.
"Here in Bozoum the displaced are coming from areas affected by the fighting but so far we have managed to gather reliable information from them about what is happening", said Fr. Gazzera.
"At least one witness reports that in Bossangoa there have been several deaths some of whom were thrown into the river, but we do not know whether this is true", says the missionary.
Meanwhile, President Michel Djotodia has dismissed the Chief of Staff of the army, General Jean-Pierre Dolle-Waya, and appointed in his place, General Ferdinand Bombayaké. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 12/09/2013)
- 2014-03-05 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - Imam of Bangui: "If we want peace, we must be impartial and condemn all forms of violence"
- 2014-02-26 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC – Work goes on at Bangui university despite chaos
- 2014-02-24 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC - “churches and mosques must be rid of armed infiltrators”: say the Catholic Archbishop and the Imam of Bangui
- 2014-02-18 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "The Anti Balaka are doing more damage than Seleka", says a missionary
- 2014-02-14 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "God exists and God knows"
- 2014-02-10 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - Religious leaders’ appeal: "Do not drag religion into political conflict"
- 2014-02-07 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "Christians and Muslims: the same blood, the same language, the same Country"
- 2014-02-04 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "The situation in Bouar is a bit calmer although there are reprisals against the Muslims"
- 2014-01-27 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA – Are the Anti Balaka really a "Christian militia"?
- 2014-01-23 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "The State has collapsed, UN intervention is needed": appeal of the Archbishop of Bangui and the Imam