AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - Confusing situation in Bossangoa while the President substitutes the Chief of Staff
Bangui (Agenzia Fides) - "We are trying to understand what is happening in Bossangoa because it is difficult to get accurate information from there. Here in Bozoum the situation is calm" says to Fides Agency Aurelio Gazzera, a Carmelite missionary, who is in Bozoum, about 120 km from Bossangoa, in the northwest of the Central African Republic, area affected by violent clashes between men of the coalition Seleka and those who remained loyal to deposed President François Bozizé (who is from the area).
According to Doctors Without Borders (DWB), in the clashes on 7 and 8 September, at least 100 people lost their lives (see Fides 10/09/2013). DWB also reports of violence against civilians and warns about the result of sectarian conflict.
"Here in Bozoum the displaced are coming from areas affected by the fighting but so far we have managed to gather reliable information from them about what is happening", said Fr. Gazzera.
"At least one witness reports that in Bossangoa there have been several deaths some of whom were thrown into the river, but we do not know whether this is true", says the missionary.
Meanwhile, President Michel Djotodia has dismissed the Chief of Staff of the army, General Jean-Pierre Dolle-Waya, and appointed in his place, General Ferdinand Bombayaké. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 12/09/2013)
- 2015-03-26 - Caritas Bangui distributes aid to the displaced Muslims in Mbaiki
- 2015-03-03 - Archbishop of Bangui visits two militia leaders in prison
- 2015-02-24 - “Our country can be compared to a desert, where we must combat the temptations of the devil” says Archbishop Nzapalainga
- 2015-02-06 - "The conflict is political not religious" say three participants
- 2015-01-28 - Caritas: more funds needed for refugees from the Central African Republic
- 2015-01-14 - "Signs of hope but still too much violence, also due to the strong movement of weapons", say the Bishops
- 2015-01-13 - The situation is improving, the Bishops launch a campaign for social cohesion
- 2015-01-07 - Archbishop of Bangui threatened with death while bringing assistance to the displaced
- 2014-12-30 - Archbishop of Bangui pays a visit to former Seleka rebels again
- 2014-12-09 - “Where are you, perpetrator of violence in Central Africa?” demands the Archbishop of Bangui