ASIA/SYRIA - Patriarch Gregory III to Obama: "Great leaders are those who know how to make peace"
Damascus (Agenzia Fides) - "The greatness of a leader is to seek peace and make peace, not to wage war and create destruction. A superpower is such if it is a power of peace": with these words, the Melkite Patriarch (Greek-Catholic) of Damascus, Gregory III Laham comments with relief the present moment, after U.S. President Barack Obama’s speech to the nation, which seems to roll back the specter of a military intervention in Syria. "The logic of violence is never the logic of wise people", he says. "We call on all political leaders of the world to return to the Word of Jesus in the Gospel: this is enough to build a world of civilization, liberty, dignity, love and mercy".
"Syria - Gregory III explains to Fides - is fully linked with neighboring countries. And if a tree in a forest burns, the entire forest will burn", he adds with a metaphor, warning against the risk of a regional war that would produce thousands of new victims.
The Patriarch, appreciating the diplomatic efforts and calling for a political solution to the ongoing conflict in Syria, renews "the invitation to renounce violence and not to resort to an attack of any kind", as the leaders of the Christian Churches of the Middle East said, who met recently in Jordan. "We also renew the invitation to all the faithful to continue to pray, as requested by the Pope, for peace in Syria and in the world", he concludes. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 11/09/2013)
- 2015-10-12 - Father Jihad (Community of Deir Mar Musa): we thank Christians and Muslims who prayed for the release of father Murad
- 2015-10-08 - The jihadists release the video of the execution of three Assyrian hostages
- 2015-10-07 - Video released on the Christians in Qaryatayn who sign a "protection pact"
- 2015-10-02 - Archbishop Hindo " McCain’s disturbing words on anti-Assad rebels armed by the CIA"
- 2015-09-29 - Bishop Abou Khazen: the choices of the West on the Syrian conflict continue to be inconsiderate
- 2015-09-25 - The self-defense "Sotoro" militias shoot each other
- 2015-09-18 - The Marists in Aleppo: there is a risk of getting used to horror
- 2015-09-15 - Four Christians among the victims of the jihadist attack in Hassaké
- 2015-09-08 - Archbishop Hindo: the demands of the jihadists for the release of the Assyrian hostages are more accessible
- 2015-09-04 - Negotiations on the release of father Murad and 270 hostages, Christians and Muslims