ASIA/SYRIA - Patriarch Gregory III to Obama: "Great leaders are those who know how to make peace"
Damascus (Agenzia Fides) - "The greatness of a leader is to seek peace and make peace, not to wage war and create destruction. A superpower is such if it is a power of peace": with these words, the Melkite Patriarch (Greek-Catholic) of Damascus, Gregory III Laham comments with relief the present moment, after U.S. President Barack Obama’s speech to the nation, which seems to roll back the specter of a military intervention in Syria. "The logic of violence is never the logic of wise people", he says. "We call on all political leaders of the world to return to the Word of Jesus in the Gospel: this is enough to build a world of civilization, liberty, dignity, love and mercy".
"Syria - Gregory III explains to Fides - is fully linked with neighboring countries. And if a tree in a forest burns, the entire forest will burn", he adds with a metaphor, warning against the risk of a regional war that would produce thousands of new victims.
The Patriarch, appreciating the diplomatic efforts and calling for a political solution to the ongoing conflict in Syria, renews "the invitation to renounce violence and not to resort to an attack of any kind", as the leaders of the Christian Churches of the Middle East said, who met recently in Jordan. "We also renew the invitation to all the faithful to continue to pray, as requested by the Pope, for peace in Syria and in the world", he concludes. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 11/09/2013)
- 2015-08-27 - A Syrian television documentary on the Assyrian Genocide projected in the presence of the Syrian Orthodox Patriarch
- 2015-08-26 - Mortar attacks on two churches in Damascus. The Maronite Archbishop: our life is like a game of Russian roulette
- 2015-08-05 - The "Water project" for Aleppo to provide water to the martyred Syrian city has concluded
- 2015-07-21 - Archbishop Hindo becomes "almost-mayor" of Hassaké
- 2015-07-20 - Armenians and Kurds fight together against the jihadists in Hassaké
- 2015-07-17 - Archbishop Antiba confirms the kidnapping of Father Antoine Boutros and his collaborator
- 2015-07-16 - A Melkite priest in the Syrian province of al-Suwayda missing. A kidnapping is feared
- 2015-07-07 - Cautious hopes for the release of the Franciscan parish priest taken away by jihadists
- 2015-06-30 - Thousands of Christian families fleeing Hassakè. Archbishop Hindo: jihadists have found support in the local population
- 2015-06-26 - ASIA/SYRIA – Mass escape from Hassaké, attacked by the jihadists of Daesh. Bishop Audo: "the agenda" of the forces is not clear