ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - "To execute the converts to Christianity": shock-appeal in Parliament
Kabul ( Agenzia Fides) - A member of the Afghan Parliament suggested that those who convert from Islam to Christianity are to be executed, according to the sharia (Islamic law), in order to stop the rapid growth of Christianity among Afghan citizens, within the country and abroad. As reported to Fides by local sources, the shock-appeal of the Muslim Parliamentary Nazir Ahmad Hanafi came after a report published by the Afghan press that noted the increase of Christians in Afghanistan. Hanafi told the assembly: "The Afghan people continue to convert to Christianity in India. This is an affront to the Islamic law and, according to the Quran, they have to be executed". Previously, another member of the Afghan Parliament had reported that in India, where there are thousands of Afghan refugees, a Christian community was founded called "Church of the Afghans", where all the citizens of Kabul are invited.
As Fides learns, in the ensuing discussion at the meeting, another Member of Parliament , Abdul Latif Pedram, said that "conversions to Christianity are the result of the presence of the United States in Afghanistan". In conclusion, Abdul Rauf Ibrahimi, President of Parliament, condemning all the activities of "Christian proselytism" in Afghanistan, has ordered the National Committee for safety to "follow the matter seriously".
Islamic leaders of Afghanistan consider the growth of Christianity as a threat to the country and warned the government about the influence of Christianity. In recent months, the "Islamic Council of Afghanistan" notified with concern to President Karzai the growing presence of foreign workers in Afghanistan of Christian religion. According to local sources , even some members of the Afghan Parliament have secretly converted to Christianity , despite the risks involved. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 09/09/2013)
- 2014-02-26 - ASIA/AFGHANISTAN – Humanitarian aid and videogames for orphans in Herat
- 2014-01-29 - Peace and reconciliation: the expectations of the Afghan civil society
- 2013-09-23 - Minors abducted and exploited for the practice of "Bacha Bazi"
- 2013-09-09 - "To execute the converts to Christianity": shock-appeal in Parliament
- 2013-04-09 - In the country there are more than 8 million students, 39% of whom are girls
- 2013-04-03 - Parents forced to sell their children to cope with poverty
- 2012-11-29 - The African Church will set up "Faith, Culture and Development" Organ
- 2012-09-07 - A million children under 5 years of age are malnourished
- 2012-06-26 - Victims and people missing due to heavy rainfall recorded in the last days
- 2012-05-25 - The Taliban attack girls' schools in order to force the closure