ASIA/SYRIA - The Christian MP Maria Saadeh: "Stop the attacks: we join the Pope for peace"
Damascus (Agenzia Fides) - "All Syrians, Christians and non-Christians, hope that prayer and fasting serve to stop violence, violations of human dignity, announced military attacks. As Syrian Christians, we share the heart and spirit of the Pope. We join him, thank him and hope he can help us": This is what was said to Fides Agency by the Greek - Catholic Maria Saadeh, member of Parliament in Damascus, in view of the day of prayer and fasting on September. "We really appreciate Pope Francis’ appeal – she explains to Fides – we remark the fundamental reasons to try to build peace in Syria and the Middle East. For years we have been working to build peace and harmony in the composite Syrian society. We have much to do to maintain a peaceful coexistence".
Today, Saadeh adds, "a future of peace in Syria is not just the responsibility of Syria but also of the international community and Europe. The Holy See knows our culture well and can support our efforts for peace, to stop violence . We need to ask all countries to stop violence and war. We call on the United States not to promote a military action, because it is illegal and the whole world recognizes it".
Maria Saadeh will join in the fasting and prayer, proclaimed by the Pope, with the Greek-Catholic community of Damascus: "We will live the day for peace, on September 7, with so many other faithful, with all Syrians of different ethnicities, cultures and religions" she concludes. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 05/09/2013)
- 2015-05-27 - Assyrian hostages: jihadists release two women
- 2015-05-26 - The jihadists retreat from the villages on the river Khabur, leaving destroyed crosses and vandalized churches
- 2015-05-25 - Syrian Catholic Patriarch Ignace Youssif III: prayer and fasting for father Murad and deacon Hanna’s release
- 2015-05-22 - ASIA/SYRIA – Fr. Jacques Murad kidnapped; he belonged to the same community of Father Paolo Dall'Oglio
- 2015-05-13 - Raid of the coalition in the Khabur valley; Assyrian hostages are likely to become "human shields"
- 2015-05-08 - Chaldean Bishop of Aleppo: in dirty wars in the Middle East there are those who exploit the suffering of Christians
- 2015-04-30 - Archbishop Hindo: "jihadi attack warded off in Hassaké. Deadlock in negotiations for the release of Assyrian hostages"
- 2015-04-17 - Christian Cemeteries vandalized in Mosul and in Galilee
- 2015-04-17 - The Syrian government dedicates a garden to the Martyrs of the Assyrian Genocide in the center of Damascus
- 2015-04-15 - The Heads of the Christian communities in Aleppo: is it the time of the Resurrection of the Savior or the funeral of his disciples?