ASIA/SYRIA - The Christian MP Maria Saadeh: "Stop the attacks: we join the Pope for peace"
Damascus (Agenzia Fides) - "All Syrians, Christians and non-Christians, hope that prayer and fasting serve to stop violence, violations of human dignity, announced military attacks. As Syrian Christians, we share the heart and spirit of the Pope. We join him, thank him and hope he can help us": This is what was said to Fides Agency by the Greek - Catholic Maria Saadeh, member of Parliament in Damascus, in view of the day of prayer and fasting on September. "We really appreciate Pope Francis’ appeal – she explains to Fides – we remark the fundamental reasons to try to build peace in Syria and the Middle East. For years we have been working to build peace and harmony in the composite Syrian society. We have much to do to maintain a peaceful coexistence".
Today, Saadeh adds, "a future of peace in Syria is not just the responsibility of Syria but also of the international community and Europe. The Holy See knows our culture well and can support our efforts for peace, to stop violence . We need to ask all countries to stop violence and war. We call on the United States not to promote a military action, because it is illegal and the whole world recognizes it".
Maria Saadeh will join in the fasting and prayer, proclaimed by the Pope, with the Greek-Catholic community of Damascus: "We will live the day for peace, on September 7, with so many other faithful, with all Syrians of different ethnicities, cultures and religions" she concludes. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 05/09/2013)
- 2015-08-27 - A Syrian television documentary on the Assyrian Genocide projected in the presence of the Syrian Orthodox Patriarch
- 2015-08-26 - Mortar attacks on two churches in Damascus. The Maronite Archbishop: our life is like a game of Russian roulette
- 2015-08-05 - The "Water project" for Aleppo to provide water to the martyred Syrian city has concluded
- 2015-07-21 - Archbishop Hindo becomes "almost-mayor" of Hassaké
- 2015-07-20 - Armenians and Kurds fight together against the jihadists in Hassaké
- 2015-07-17 - Archbishop Antiba confirms the kidnapping of Father Antoine Boutros and his collaborator
- 2015-07-16 - A Melkite priest in the Syrian province of al-Suwayda missing. A kidnapping is feared
- 2015-07-07 - Cautious hopes for the release of the Franciscan parish priest taken away by jihadists
- 2015-06-30 - Thousands of Christian families fleeing Hassakè. Archbishop Hindo: jihadists have found support in the local population
- 2015-06-26 - ASIA/SYRIA – Mass escape from Hassaké, attacked by the jihadists of Daesh. Bishop Audo: "the agenda" of the forces is not clear