ASIA/SYRIA - Letter from the Grand Mufti of Damascus to the Pope: "Let us work together for peace"
Damascus ( Agenzia Fides) - In St. Peter's Square (if possible) or in the great Umayyad Mosque in Damascus, the Grand Mufti of Syria, Ahmad Badreddin Hassou , spiritual leader of Sunni Islam, welcomes the Pope's appeal and will be there praying and fasting for peace in his country. The Mufti sent, through the Apostolic Nunciature in Damascus, an official letter to Pope Francis and is preparing to participate in the special pro-Syria day on September 7, proposing to the Holy See to organize an interfaith meeting.
In the text of the letter, sent to Fides Agency, the mufti defines Pope Francis' appeal "son of the heavenly laws", praising the initiative to "pray for peace in Syria" as "good and for the good of humanity".
"His Holiness - the text reads – we thank you for this appeal of great humanity, based on faith, to fast and pray together God Almighty in order to bring peace on earth and protect us from the power of evil and oppression". Words which, according to the mufti, are in contrast "with all those who hide the shining light of faith, charity, mercy, and peace, that you ask and we all ask, as also the Prophets and Messengers of God asked".
Showing "profound gratitude for his spiritual attention" the mufti expressed the desire to "be with the Pope at the moment when the prayer will be raised to God Almighty", and states: "We will be together on September 7, to raise our plea to God", proposing to the Holy See to "organize a spiritual summit with religious leaders in Damascus or in the Vatican: so maybe we can stop the fire of those who want to destroy the land of Abraham, Moses, Jesus, Muhammad".
" Let us remain, hand in hand - the letter continues - in spreading peace and security for all peoples of the world, to counter the extremists and divisions on the basis of religion or ethnicity. We continue our journey in the footsteps of the Prophets, Saints, the righteous and the men of good will".
"May you remain, Your Holiness - concludes the text sent to Fides - under the protection, guidance and Providence of God, so together we reach the fullness of faith and light". (PA) (Agenzia Fides 04/09/2013)
- 2015-04-01 - Idlib in the hands of jihadists. Orthodox priest kidnapped
- 2015-03-24 - The Islamic State shows a video of an Assyrian Christian who "converted" to Islam
- 2015-03-20 - Assyrian Bishop writes to the jihadists: our Church does not identify itself with any armed group
- 2015-03-18 - Catholic Bishops meet in Homs
- 2015-03-18 - Patriarch Gregoire III: "one is inconsiderate to invoke external military interventions to defend Christians in the Middle East"
- 2015-03-18 - Millions of children deprived of education: schools destroyed or used as shelters for the displaced
- 2015-03-16 - The US "open" up to talks with Assad. Archbishop Hindo: forced choice
- 2015-03-14 - The Jubilee seen from Aleppo. Bishop Abou Khazen: only mercy can save us from hatred and heal wounds
- 2015-03-11 - Uncertainty about the fate of Christians held hostage by jihadists
- 2015-03-05 - The Syrian Parliament commemorates the Armenian Genocide