ASIA/SYRIA - Letter from the Grand Mufti of Damascus to the Pope: "Let us work together for peace"
Damascus ( Agenzia Fides) - In St. Peter's Square (if possible) or in the great Umayyad Mosque in Damascus, the Grand Mufti of Syria, Ahmad Badreddin Hassou , spiritual leader of Sunni Islam, welcomes the Pope's appeal and will be there praying and fasting for peace in his country. The Mufti sent, through the Apostolic Nunciature in Damascus, an official letter to Pope Francis and is preparing to participate in the special pro-Syria day on September 7, proposing to the Holy See to organize an interfaith meeting.
In the text of the letter, sent to Fides Agency, the mufti defines Pope Francis' appeal "son of the heavenly laws", praising the initiative to "pray for peace in Syria" as "good and for the good of humanity".
"His Holiness - the text reads – we thank you for this appeal of great humanity, based on faith, to fast and pray together God Almighty in order to bring peace on earth and protect us from the power of evil and oppression". Words which, according to the mufti, are in contrast "with all those who hide the shining light of faith, charity, mercy, and peace, that you ask and we all ask, as also the Prophets and Messengers of God asked".
Showing "profound gratitude for his spiritual attention" the mufti expressed the desire to "be with the Pope at the moment when the prayer will be raised to God Almighty", and states: "We will be together on September 7, to raise our plea to God", proposing to the Holy See to "organize a spiritual summit with religious leaders in Damascus or in the Vatican: so maybe we can stop the fire of those who want to destroy the land of Abraham, Moses, Jesus, Muhammad".
" Let us remain, hand in hand - the letter continues - in spreading peace and security for all peoples of the world, to counter the extremists and divisions on the basis of religion or ethnicity. We continue our journey in the footsteps of the Prophets, Saints, the righteous and the men of good will".
"May you remain, Your Holiness - concludes the text sent to Fides - under the protection, guidance and Providence of God, so together we reach the fullness of faith and light". (PA) (Agenzia Fides 04/09/2013)
- 2015-07-21 - Archbishop Hindo becomes "almost-mayor" of Hassaké
- 2015-07-20 - Armenians and Kurds fight together against the jihadists in Hassaké
- 2015-07-17 - Archbishop Antiba confirms the kidnapping of Father Antoine Boutros and his collaborator
- 2015-07-16 - A Melkite priest in the Syrian province of al-Suwayda missing. A kidnapping is feared
- 2015-07-07 - Cautious hopes for the release of the Franciscan parish priest taken away by jihadists
- 2015-06-30 - Thousands of Christian families fleeing Hassakè. Archbishop Hindo: jihadists have found support in the local population
- 2015-06-26 - ASIA/SYRIA – Mass escape from Hassaké, attacked by the jihadists of Daesh. Bishop Audo: "the agenda" of the forces is not clear
- 2015-06-24 - Jihadist attacks in Hassaké. Archbishop Hindo: "they are a sign of weakness and desperation"
- 2015-06-16 - The central districts of Aleppo attacked by rebels
- 2015-06-15 - Patriarchs and Bishops of the Eastern Churches pray together for peace and commemorate the centenary of the "Assyrian Genocide" in Damascus