ASIA/CHINA - Art to transmit faith
Shi Jia Zhuang (Agenzia Fides) - "To communicate the message entrusted to her by Christ, the Church needs art": various Catholic communities of mainland China use art as a tool of evangelization, according to the teaching of Pope John Paul II, contained in the Letter to Artists of 1999.
According to information provided to Fides Agency by Faith of He Bei, we learn that on the day of the Solemnity of the Assumption of Mary, the tenth edition of the Exhibition of Works of Art at the Cathedral of the Diocese of Tian Jin was held. Ten years ago, the diocese established a Group of Artists for evangelization, the aim of which was to illustrate, through the language of art, the Bible, faith and catechesis.
A member of the group said: "In ten years we have presented to the public 1,739 works of art that illustrate Christian themes. Of these: 994 calligraphies, 414 paintings, 331 craft objects, designed to transmit the Christian message". In this year's exhibition 224 works of art were exposed among paintings, paper cuts, engravings, embroidery, sculptures and photographs .... Each work "is an expression of love for Christ and for the Church".
Even the diocese of Ning Xia inaugurated an Exhibition of Christian art in the parish of Yin Chuan. Most of the very precious works belong to the collection of a Chinese priest, such as the paintings of the Sacred Heart of Jesus and the Immaculate Heart of Mary, dating back more than a century ago. Some members contributed by donating paintings, needlework, including that of "Our Lady of Sheshan" and "God is Love".
Many Catholics and non-Christians visited the exhibition, which has become such an opportunity and a means of evangelization. (NZ) (Agenzia Fides 02/09/2013)
- 2015-11-18 - The bull distributed to the faithful of Our Lady of Carmel parish in Beijing
- 2015-11-05 - On the feast of the Apostles Simon and Jude, two communities welcome new deacons and priests
- 2015-08-10 - Episcopal Ordination of the Bishop Coadjutor of Anyang in Henan (China)
- 2015-07-23 - ASIA/CHINA – China’s six major seminaries offer 79 new workers for the Lord’s vineyard
- 2015-07-10 - Improving faith and Christian life: pastoral summer activities for children and young people of Zhou Cun
- 2015-06-19 - Priestly ordinations: To serve the Church and become witness of faith
- 2015-06-11 - Five years of continuous Eucharistic adoration have strengthened faith and mission
- 2015-06-02 - Study Seminar to improve the collaboration between the Catholic Church and Chinese society
- 2015-05-26 - Pentecost of the Chinese community, on the Day of Prayer for China
- 2015-05-13 - An exhibition of historical objects commemorates the pioneers of the mission in the Year of Consecrated Life