ASIA/CHINA - Art to transmit faith
Shi Jia Zhuang (Agenzia Fides) - "To communicate the message entrusted to her by Christ, the Church needs art": various Catholic communities of mainland China use art as a tool of evangelization, according to the teaching of Pope John Paul II, contained in the Letter to Artists of 1999.
According to information provided to Fides Agency by Faith of He Bei, we learn that on the day of the Solemnity of the Assumption of Mary, the tenth edition of the Exhibition of Works of Art at the Cathedral of the Diocese of Tian Jin was held. Ten years ago, the diocese established a Group of Artists for evangelization, the aim of which was to illustrate, through the language of art, the Bible, faith and catechesis.
A member of the group said: "In ten years we have presented to the public 1,739 works of art that illustrate Christian themes. Of these: 994 calligraphies, 414 paintings, 331 craft objects, designed to transmit the Christian message". In this year's exhibition 224 works of art were exposed among paintings, paper cuts, engravings, embroidery, sculptures and photographs .... Each work "is an expression of love for Christ and for the Church".
Even the diocese of Ning Xia inaugurated an Exhibition of Christian art in the parish of Yin Chuan. Most of the very precious works belong to the collection of a Chinese priest, such as the paintings of the Sacred Heart of Jesus and the Immaculate Heart of Mary, dating back more than a century ago. Some members contributed by donating paintings, needlework, including that of "Our Lady of Sheshan" and "God is Love".
Many Catholics and non-Christians visited the exhibition, which has become such an opportunity and a means of evangelization. (NZ) (Agenzia Fides 02/09/2013)
- 2014-03-07 ASIA/CHINA - The women of Zi Gong: active in the Church and in society, following the example of Mary
- 2014-03-04 ASIA/CHINA – The formation of the laity in view of Lent intensifies
- 2014-02-27 ASIA/CHINA – Eucharistic adoration and sobriety: message from Han Dan diocese for the new year
- 2014-02-19 ASIA/CHINA - Formation: priority commitment of the Catholic community for the new year
- 2014-02-12 ASIA/CHINA - 2014 "Year of the Gospel" in the parish of Xi Liu Lin
- 2014-01-30 ASIA/CHINA - Chinese New Year: opportunity for vocational pastoral ministry and evangelization
- 2014-01-28 ASIA/CHINA - 25 years of priesthood for some of the first priests ordained after the Cultural Revolution
- 2014-01-23 ASIA/CHINA - The Catholic community intensifies the works of charity and evangelization in view of the Chinese New Year
- 2014-01-17 ASIA/CHINA - "Heart to Heart": a heart that continues to beat to support the vocational path
- 2014-01-14 ASIA/CHINA - New priests at the beginning of the year, a sign of hope for the mission