AFRICA/ZAMBIA – Death of Cardinal Mazombwe, Archbishop Emeritus of Lusaka
Lusaka ( Agenzia Fides) - Strong emotion in Zambia for the death, on August 29, of Cardinal Medardo Joseph Mazombwe, Archbishop Emeritus of Lusaka.
In a statement sent to Fides Agency by the Episcopal Conference of Zambia, recalls that Cardinal Mazombwe was the first indigenous Cardinal of the Country. Pope Benedict XVI elevated him to the status of Cardinal in the consistory on 30 November 2010.
The late Cardinal held numerous positions in the Church of Zambia and the region. He was President of the Episcopal Conference of Zambia three times (1972 - 1975, 1988 - 1990 and 1999 - 2002) and President of the Association of Members of Episcopal Conferences of Eastern Africa (AMECEA), 1979-1986.
The Bishops' statement also points out that Cardinal Mazombwe "in the months before the Great Jubilee of 2000, was an ardent supporter of the campaign for the cancellation of the international debt of Zambia
Cardinal Mazombwe’s optimism and courage in dealing with cancer inspired many of those who visited him in the last twelve months. Even when he was getting weaker, Cardinal Mazombwe never gave up his passion with regards to issues of the Church and the nation", the statement concluded.
The funeral of the Cardinal will be held on September 3 at the Cathedral of Lusaka. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 31/08/2013)
- 2014-10-13 - "We are greatly concerned about the well-being of the President" say civil society
- 2014-04-08 - Almost 40% of infant mortality rate is due to malaria
- 2014-03-10 - Support to give strength to the women of Chisitu
- 2014-02-21 - AFRICA/ZAMBIA – Let's fulfill the aspirations of those who fought for the independence of building a more just Country
- 2014-01-25 - Bishops: "Respect democracy"
- 2014-01-09 - After 50 years of independence a proper Constitution focused on popular sovereignty is needed
- 2013-10-02 - "Do we still have a functioning state? " Asks Caritas
- 2013-09-16 - The right to a better education, better teachers and beautiful classrooms
- 2013-08-31 - AFRICA/ZAMBIA – Death of Cardinal Mazombwe, Archbishop Emeritus of Lusaka
- 2013-08-02 - Mothers manage the first kindergarten in the Chipata area