ASIA/SYRIA - Week of Prayer for Peace in Syria
Paris ( Agenzia Fides) - A week of prayer for peace in Syria begins today, August 30, and will last until September 6 in the 17 countries where the work of pontifical right "Aid to the Church in Need" (ACS) is present. As explained in a note sent to Fides by the French office of ACS, the week was scheduled for October, but recent events have anticipated the week: "We cannot wait. The time to pray for peace for Syrian people is now. Our brothers and sisters in Syria need it more than ever", explains the note. The campaign, which includes a specific Daily intention, joins the incessant prayer for peace and to avoid a military intervention on behalf of Western countries, that continues in all the Christian communities in Syria, as amply documented by Fides Agency (see Fides 29/08/2013) .
The prayer released by ACS and destined to the faithful around the world, invokes God for "a peaceful future for Syria, based on justice for all" and reads: "God of mercy, hear the cry of the Syrian people, comfort those who are suffering because of the violence, console those who mourn their dead, convert the hearts of those who have taken up arms, protect those who are committed to peace. God of hope, inspire leaders to choose peace instead of violence and to seek reconciliation with their enemies". (PA) (Agenzia Fides 30/08/2013)
- 2015-07-21 - Archbishop Hindo becomes "almost-mayor" of Hassaké
- 2015-07-20 - Armenians and Kurds fight together against the jihadists in Hassaké
- 2015-07-17 - Archbishop Antiba confirms the kidnapping of Father Antoine Boutros and his collaborator
- 2015-07-16 - A Melkite priest in the Syrian province of al-Suwayda missing. A kidnapping is feared
- 2015-07-07 - Cautious hopes for the release of the Franciscan parish priest taken away by jihadists
- 2015-06-30 - Thousands of Christian families fleeing Hassakè. Archbishop Hindo: jihadists have found support in the local population
- 2015-06-26 - ASIA/SYRIA – Mass escape from Hassaké, attacked by the jihadists of Daesh. Bishop Audo: "the agenda" of the forces is not clear
- 2015-06-24 - Jihadist attacks in Hassaké. Archbishop Hindo: "they are a sign of weakness and desperation"
- 2015-06-16 - The central districts of Aleppo attacked by rebels
- 2015-06-15 - Patriarchs and Bishops of the Eastern Churches pray together for peace and commemorate the centenary of the "Assyrian Genocide" in Damascus