ASIA/SYRIA - Week of Prayer for Peace in Syria
Paris ( Agenzia Fides) - A week of prayer for peace in Syria begins today, August 30, and will last until September 6 in the 17 countries where the work of pontifical right "Aid to the Church in Need" (ACS) is present. As explained in a note sent to Fides by the French office of ACS, the week was scheduled for October, but recent events have anticipated the week: "We cannot wait. The time to pray for peace for Syrian people is now. Our brothers and sisters in Syria need it more than ever", explains the note. The campaign, which includes a specific Daily intention, joins the incessant prayer for peace and to avoid a military intervention on behalf of Western countries, that continues in all the Christian communities in Syria, as amply documented by Fides Agency (see Fides 29/08/2013) .
The prayer released by ACS and destined to the faithful around the world, invokes God for "a peaceful future for Syria, based on justice for all" and reads: "God of mercy, hear the cry of the Syrian people, comfort those who are suffering because of the violence, console those who mourn their dead, convert the hearts of those who have taken up arms, protect those who are committed to peace. God of hope, inspire leaders to choose peace instead of violence and to seek reconciliation with their enemies". (PA) (Agenzia Fides 30/08/2013)
- 2015-04-17 - Christian Cemeteries vandalized in Mosul and in Galilee
- 2015-04-17 - The Syrian government dedicates a garden to the Martyrs of the Assyrian Genocide in the center of Damascus
- 2015-04-15 - The Heads of the Christian communities in Aleppo: is it the time of the Resurrection of the Savior or the funeral of his disciples?
- 2015-04-14 - Bombings on Christian neighborhoods in Aleppo, also two young Salesian animators killed
- 2015-04-09 - Caritas operator dies in the bombing in Aleppo
- 2015-04-01 - Idlib in the hands of jihadists. Orthodox priest kidnapped
- 2015-03-24 - The Islamic State shows a video of an Assyrian Christian who "converted" to Islam
- 2015-03-20 - Assyrian Bishop writes to the jihadists: our Church does not identify itself with any armed group
- 2015-03-18 - Catholic Bishops meet in Homs
- 2015-03-18 - Patriarch Gregoire III: "one is inconsiderate to invoke external military interventions to defend Christians in the Middle East"