ASIA/SYRIA – Perpetual night adoration to beg for peace and stop terrorism
Qarah ( Agenzia Fides) - In the face of danger, the uncertain future, against the evil of war and terrorism, "powerful weapons are prayer and Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament": in the Monastery of St. James in Qarah (city between Damascus and Homs), the resident community - an ecumenical community that welcomes 20 between men and women religious of 8 nationalities and of different Christian denominations – dedicate their days to pray without ceasing. Fr. Daniel Maes, a Belgian Catholic priest, head of the community, told Fides that today and in the coming days the priests and nuns will give life to a night Eucharistic Adoratio , "aware of the power of prayer and faith in the Providence of God": The community currently also houses some Muslim families (about 20 people) who have sought shelter at the convent because of the ongoing civil conflict.
But currently the whole monastery is in danger: "So far we have been saved from the war because both government forces and opposition groups have somehow protected and safeguarded us, knowing our life of prayer and hospitality.
Terrorist and jihadists groups are becoming more numerous and powerful, and as we were told, we could be the target of an attack at any moment. But where can we go? The whole community has decided to stay and pray. With confidence and hope", says to Fides Fr. Maes, who lives in the monastery next to monks and nuns from Belgium, France , Portugal, the United States, as well as Syria, Lebanon, Chile, Venezuela.
In this delicate moment, while a military attack by Western powers seems imminent, the ecumenical community of Qarah launches an appeal for peace, so that "the West acts with intelligence, responsibility and according to truth", says Fr. Maes. "A military attack - he stresses - is never a solution that generates peace, but only more hatred. Syria should return to the values that have always lived in centuries of history: coexistence and harmony among ethnic groups and different faiths, kindness, hospitality, solidarity have always characterized the Syrian society". (PA) (Agenzia Fides 29/08/2013)
- 2014-09-05 - Armenian Catholic Synod: in agenda Genocide centenary, martyrs’ beatification, situation of Middle East Christians
- 2014-09-03 - Christians in Qamishli collect aid for Yazidis fleeing Iraq
- 2014-08-21 - Mission of the Patriarchs in Iraq. The Chaldean Patriarch: no to sectarian militias
- 2014-07-31 - Aleppo, missile at the Armenian Catholic Church. Three dead
- 2014-07-30 - Pax Christi International: the arms trade fuels the Syrian conflict
- 2014-07-24 - Thousands of children excluded from the vaccination campaign against polio which has resurfaced in the Country
- 2014-07-08 - The government army towards Aleppo. Bishop Audo: we are on edge between hopes and fears, we also lack drinking water
- 2014-06-17 - Aleppo still without water, churches reactivate the wells
- 2014-06-05 - Aleppo again without water, other missiles on the areas inhabited by the Armenians
- 2014-06-02 - ASIA/SYRIA – The jiahdists of ISIL in Raqqa confiscate the property of Christians