AFRICA/EGYPT - Tension for today’s demonstrations. A Coptic monastery attacked
Cairo (Agenzia Fides) - "The situation has been calm so far but one lives in tension due to the demonstrations announced today by supporters of ousted President Morsi. I hope that nothing serious happens", says to Fides Agency Fr. Rafic Greiche, spokesman of the Catholic Bishops of Egypt
"In much of Egypt, security conditions are improving but not in Giza and Al Minya" says the priest.
In this regard, Fr. Greiche reported the assault against a Coptic Orthodox monastery in a small village near Al Minya. "A group of people attacked the monastery and beat the monks. The police intervened but it was too late for the monks who were taken to hospital. One is still in hospital, the other was discharged". "It must be said that it is not always easy for the police to move in areas such as Minya, where Christians are always on the alert for the presence of various jihadist groups", said Fr. Greiche
"Minya is one of the governorates where in the past (in the 90s) there was a large number of terrorist attacks. It is one of the focal points of the presence of jihadist groups", recalls the priest.
"This is because the geography of the area favors the movements of these groups, often formed by Bedouin families who move easily, and can hide in the nearby mountains".
The authorities in Cairo have imposed strict security measures all over the country in view of the announced protests after Friday prayers. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 23/08/2013)
- 2014-09-29 - The Coptic woman who had disappeared returns home: she did not convert but had been kidnapped
- 2014-09-27 - New rules for the construction of churches: Christians prepare their proposal
- 2014-09-25 - Kidnappings continue to the detriment of the Copts, a dentist kidnapped killed
- 2014-09-19 - The army rebuilds a Catholic school devastated by Islamists in Beni Suef
- 2014-07-24 - AFRICA/EGYPT – There is no Christian in St. Anthony Abate’s hometown
- 2014-07-17 - A bill to ensure and regulate the construction of churches is being studied
- 2014-07-16 - Patriarch Tawadros II: the Bishops do not express support for candidates or political parties in elections
- 2014-07-08 - Sisi
- 2014-06-20 - Activist for Human Rights calls for the dissolution of the Salafist Party
- 2014-06-09 - New President al-Sisi enhances the role of the Coptic Church in the past and present of the nation