AFRICA/EGYPT - Tension for today’s demonstrations. A Coptic monastery attacked
Cairo (Agenzia Fides) - "The situation has been calm so far but one lives in tension due to the demonstrations announced today by supporters of ousted President Morsi. I hope that nothing serious happens", says to Fides Agency Fr. Rafic Greiche, spokesman of the Catholic Bishops of Egypt
"In much of Egypt, security conditions are improving but not in Giza and Al Minya" says the priest.
In this regard, Fr. Greiche reported the assault against a Coptic Orthodox monastery in a small village near Al Minya. "A group of people attacked the monastery and beat the monks. The police intervened but it was too late for the monks who were taken to hospital. One is still in hospital, the other was discharged". "It must be said that it is not always easy for the police to move in areas such as Minya, where Christians are always on the alert for the presence of various jihadist groups", said Fr. Greiche
"Minya is one of the governorates where in the past (in the 90s) there was a large number of terrorist attacks. It is one of the focal points of the presence of jihadist groups", recalls the priest.
"This is because the geography of the area favors the movements of these groups, often formed by Bedouin families who move easily, and can hide in the nearby mountains".
The authorities in Cairo have imposed strict security measures all over the country in view of the announced protests after Friday prayers. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 23/08/2013)
- 2015-04-16 - The Coptic Patriarch will participate in the commemorations of the centenary of the Armenian Genocide, to be held in Yerevan
- 2015-04-01 - Laying of the foundation stone of the church dedicated to the "Martyrs of Libya"
- 2015-03-31 - The Coptic Orthodox Church invites President al-Sisi to Easter Mass
- 2015-03-28 - The Coptic Church supports the government in the fight against illiteracy
- 2015-03-26 - The Coptic Orthodox Church reaffirms ban on pilgrimages to Jerusalem
- 2015-03-25 - President Sisi endorses the new regulation for the election of the Coptic Pope
- 2015-03-23 - The conviction for the Salafist leader who tore up a copy of the Bible confirmed
- 2015-03-20 - Hospitals in Al Azhar open their doors to Christian doctors
- 2015-03-17 - The Egyptian government reviews Islamic religious education programs to combat extremism
- 2015-03-09 - AFRICA/EGYPT – Armed assault against the Franciscan church of Kafr el Dawar