AFRICA/EGYPT - Tension for today’s demonstrations. A Coptic monastery attacked
Cairo (Agenzia Fides) - "The situation has been calm so far but one lives in tension due to the demonstrations announced today by supporters of ousted President Morsi. I hope that nothing serious happens", says to Fides Agency Fr. Rafic Greiche, spokesman of the Catholic Bishops of Egypt
"In much of Egypt, security conditions are improving but not in Giza and Al Minya" says the priest.
In this regard, Fr. Greiche reported the assault against a Coptic Orthodox monastery in a small village near Al Minya. "A group of people attacked the monastery and beat the monks. The police intervened but it was too late for the monks who were taken to hospital. One is still in hospital, the other was discharged". "It must be said that it is not always easy for the police to move in areas such as Minya, where Christians are always on the alert for the presence of various jihadist groups", said Fr. Greiche
"Minya is one of the governorates where in the past (in the 90s) there was a large number of terrorist attacks. It is one of the focal points of the presence of jihadist groups", recalls the priest.
"This is because the geography of the area favors the movements of these groups, often formed by Bedouin families who move easily, and can hide in the nearby mountains".
The authorities in Cairo have imposed strict security measures all over the country in view of the announced protests after Friday prayers. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 23/08/2013)
- 2015-01-27 - The Coptic Catholic Diocese in Minya promotes religious reconciliation in the village of Delga with concrete projects
- 2015-01-26 - Copts killed and churches attacked in the riots on January 25
- 2015-01-23 - Coptic Associations are working on a document on the rights of citizenship
- 2015-01-20 - Coptic Patriarch Tawadros: the Church does not interfere in elections
- 2015-01-17 - With Patriarch Mathias’ visit, evidence of "ecclesial mediation" on the controversial Ethiopian dam
- 2015-01-16 - The Assembly of Catholic Bishops discusses support for Christian schools
- 2015-01-15 - The Coptic Patriarch Tawadros: the cartoons on Muhammad are offensive
- 2015-01-09 - Salafist leader condemns the violence against Copts in Libya
- 2015-01-07 - President al-Sisi attends Coptic Christmas mass at Cairo Abbasiya Cathedral
- 2015-01-05 - An 'educational manual' on the internet for jihadist mothers