AMERICA/BRAZIL - Missionary found dead in Haiti, an example to propose also for sanctification
Brasilia (Agenzia Fides) - The Brazilian episcopate will begin in 2015 the practice to ask the Vatican for the beatification of the missionary and pediatrician Zilda Arns, founder and coordinator of the Pastoral of the Child, who died in the earthquake that devastated Haiti in 2010.
The note sent to Fides by the Episcopal Conference of Brazil recalled that the beginning of the process will start in two years time, because the request for beatification and sanctification can be made only after the fifth anniversary of the person’s death.
The beatification of Zilda Arns was proposed by the Archbishop of the Archdiocese of Paraíba, Mgr Aldo Di Cillo Pagotto, who presides the Council for the Pastoral Care for Children, a Commission of the Bishops' Conference dedicated to the care and support of children, which was founded by the same missionary doctor in 1983 and today operates in more than twenty Countries in Latin America, Africa and Asia. The testimony of life of the missionary had caused a chain of solidarity immediately after the earthquake in Haiti (see Fides 14/01/2012).
The "Pastoral da Criança", as it is called in Brazil, on July 28 celebrated the 30th National Congress, and also representatives from the Philippines, Angola, Guatemala, Panama, Dominican Republic, Peru, Argentina, Colombia and Paraguay were asked to participate. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 08/08/2013)
- 2014-08-22 - AMERICA/BRAZIL – The "Ecumenism and the Missions" Symposium begins
- 2014-07-23 - Mission to relieve: a challenge for evangelization; the Missionary Campaign 2014 begins
- 2014-07-18 - The first "National Catholic Congress online" for those working in the field of evangelization
- 2014-07-16 - A photo exhibition on the 33 years of fighting for the rights of indigenous peoples arrives in Manaus
- 2014-07-04 - "Immediate answers concerning the issue of immigrants are urgently needed"
- 2014-06-30 - Exploitation of children: from the World Cup to the Winter Olympics 2016
- 2014-06-24 - "Mission to relieve" the missionary campaign against human trafficking in persons
- 2014-06-23 - The tragedy of child prostitution behind the glitz of the World Cup
- 2014-06-17 - Social inclusion and missionary work, the commitment of the Church in Brazil for Haiti continues
- 2014-06-12 - The World Cup begins with a "Red Card to Child Labour"