AMERICA/BRAZIL - Missionary found dead in Haiti, an example to propose also for sanctification
Brasilia (Agenzia Fides) - The Brazilian episcopate will begin in 2015 the practice to ask the Vatican for the beatification of the missionary and pediatrician Zilda Arns, founder and coordinator of the Pastoral of the Child, who died in the earthquake that devastated Haiti in 2010.
The note sent to Fides by the Episcopal Conference of Brazil recalled that the beginning of the process will start in two years time, because the request for beatification and sanctification can be made only after the fifth anniversary of the person’s death.
The beatification of Zilda Arns was proposed by the Archbishop of the Archdiocese of Paraíba, Mgr Aldo Di Cillo Pagotto, who presides the Council for the Pastoral Care for Children, a Commission of the Bishops' Conference dedicated to the care and support of children, which was founded by the same missionary doctor in 1983 and today operates in more than twenty Countries in Latin America, Africa and Asia. The testimony of life of the missionary had caused a chain of solidarity immediately after the earthquake in Haiti (see Fides 14/01/2012).
The "Pastoral da Criança", as it is called in Brazil, on July 28 celebrated the 30th National Congress, and also representatives from the Philippines, Angola, Guatemala, Panama, Dominican Republic, Peru, Argentina, Colombia and Paraguay were asked to participate. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 08/08/2013)
- 2015-07-01 - The indifference of the state in the face of a situation of injustice denounced by the Bishop of Dourados
- 2015-06-25 - More than 20,000 people every week prepare themselves for the feast of Our Lady of Perpetual Help
- 2015-06-23 - Report of CIMI: suicide and infant mortality are decimating the indigenous population
- 2015-06-16 - On the border between Peru and Bolivia, crossroads of migrants
- 2015-06-16 - "No to prejudice, yes to rights and participation": week of Migrants
- 2015-06-10 - From Haiti to Brazil in the hands of human traffickers, with the hope of a better future
- 2015-05-27 - Bishops’ refelection: "Thinking Brazil", social inequalities in Brazil
- 2015-05-22 - More than 630,000 signatures for political Reform and transparent elections
- 2015-05-02 - Bishops' Message for May 1st: "We cannot live with slave labor"
- 2015-04-29 - "They kill to intimidate": another indigenous leader killed, the complaint of CIMI