AMERICA/BRAZIL - Missionary found dead in Haiti, an example to propose also for sanctification
Brasilia (Agenzia Fides) - The Brazilian episcopate will begin in 2015 the practice to ask the Vatican for the beatification of the missionary and pediatrician Zilda Arns, founder and coordinator of the Pastoral of the Child, who died in the earthquake that devastated Haiti in 2010.
The note sent to Fides by the Episcopal Conference of Brazil recalled that the beginning of the process will start in two years time, because the request for beatification and sanctification can be made only after the fifth anniversary of the person’s death.
The beatification of Zilda Arns was proposed by the Archbishop of the Archdiocese of Paraíba, Mgr Aldo Di Cillo Pagotto, who presides the Council for the Pastoral Care for Children, a Commission of the Bishops' Conference dedicated to the care and support of children, which was founded by the same missionary doctor in 1983 and today operates in more than twenty Countries in Latin America, Africa and Asia. The testimony of life of the missionary had caused a chain of solidarity immediately after the earthquake in Haiti (see Fides 14/01/2012).
The "Pastoral da Criança", as it is called in Brazil, on July 28 celebrated the 30th National Congress, and also representatives from the Philippines, Angola, Guatemala, Panama, Dominican Republic, Peru, Argentina, Colombia and Paraguay were asked to participate. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 08/08/2013)
- 2015-11-25 - National school feeding program to improve the living conditions of children and farmers
- 2015-11-23 - The presence of foreign missionaries enriches the Church in Brazil
- 2015-11-13 - Two more religious missionary nuns sent to Haiti: they will help children, youth and families
- 2015-10-30 - Bishops' message: Crisis in the country worsens, dialogue and democracy are needed
- 2015-10-20 - "Scalabrinian Mission": opening of a new reception center for refugees in Sao Paulo
- 2015-10-14 - "The wealth of Brazil should be better distributed" asks Mgr. Nicioli
- 2015-10-10 - The Church: it is urgent to save abandoned children and adolescents who have disappeared
- 2015-09-16 - "How many people have to die before they have justice?", since 1983 at least 50 indigenous leaders have been killed
- 2015-09-15 - Preparation for World Mission Sunday 2015 begins
- 2015-09-14 - Early Marriages: still half a million young newlyweds between 15 to 17 years of age