ASIA/SYRIA - Abuse and forced marriages for refugee children
Zaatari (Agenzia Fides) - People continue to be increasingly desperate and poor. The children who fled the war in Syria with their families continue to be exploited, abused and forced into early marriages, quite unusual in the Country. About two million Syrian refugees are mainly divided between Turkey, Lebanon, Jordan and Iraq. The High Commissioner for the United Nations for Refugees (UNHCR) has launched an alarm to seek the most effective security measures to prevent the young from working, dropping out of school or returning to Syria as child soldiers. The latest UNHCR estimates, 130 thousand Syrian refugees live in the Zaatari camp, in Jordan where real networks of organized crime are being built, there is total anarchy and their scarce resources are constantly being looted and destroyed. In Jordan, refugees can only live out of the camp and controlled by national authorities. Many, due to the difficult conditions in which they find themselves living in Zaatari and because of the high levels of crime that occur, prefer to escape. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 07/08/2013)
- 2015-05-26 - The jihadists retreat from the villages on the river Khabur, leaving destroyed crosses and vandalized churches
- 2015-05-25 - Syrian Catholic Patriarch Ignace Youssif III: prayer and fasting for father Murad and deacon Hanna’s release
- 2015-05-22 - ASIA/SYRIA – Fr. Jacques Murad kidnapped; he belonged to the same community of Father Paolo Dall'Oglio
- 2015-05-13 - Raid of the coalition in the Khabur valley; Assyrian hostages are likely to become "human shields"
- 2015-05-08 - Chaldean Bishop of Aleppo: in dirty wars in the Middle East there are those who exploit the suffering of Christians
- 2015-04-30 - Archbishop Hindo: "jihadi attack warded off in Hassaké. Deadlock in negotiations for the release of Assyrian hostages"
- 2015-04-17 - Christian Cemeteries vandalized in Mosul and in Galilee
- 2015-04-17 - The Syrian government dedicates a garden to the Martyrs of the Assyrian Genocide in the center of Damascus
- 2015-04-15 - The Heads of the Christian communities in Aleppo: is it the time of the Resurrection of the Savior or the funeral of his disciples?
- 2015-04-14 - Bombings on Christian neighborhoods in Aleppo, also two young Salesian animators killed