AFRICA/CONGO DR - The UN establishes a safety zone around Goma
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - The UN Mission for the stabilization of Congo (MONUSCO) has declared a security area around Goma, capital of North Kivu, in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo, where for weeks there has been an on-going offensive of the Congolese army, against the guerrilla movement M23 and other armed groups operating in the province.
The purpose is to protect at least a million civilians, including refugees and inhabitants, present in the city.
MONUSCO, which will have to be reinforced by the so-called rapid deployment brigade (consisting of about three thousand men and not yet operational), has been criticized by local people who do not feel adequately protected by UN troops.
The Congolese military instead are beginning to be appreciated by the population because as referred in a note sent to Fides by the Peace Network for Congo "the first victories of the army have rekindled hope in the population, tired of war and oppression of the M23 (rapes , murder, theft, forced recruitment".
"With these first successes, the Congolese army have regained the confidence of the population, accustomed to losses due to treachery and complicity. Now the people of North Kivu encourages the military, providing them with the necessary food, and even accompanying them to the front line" continues the statement. These events in Goma are an unmistakable sign of a new relationship of trust and mutual sympathy between the army and people", the statement concludes. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 02/08/2013)
- 2015-04-10 - "The massacres in Butembo are a crime against humanity" denounce religious orders in the area
- 2015-04-09 - The opposition demands an investigation into the mass grave discovered 80 km from Kinshasa
- 2015-04-08 - Volcanoes erupting, wars, lack of infrastructure, extreme poverty and schooling for a few
- 2015-03-31 - The creation of new provinces is likely to result in a postponement of local elections
- 2015-03-18 - New violence in North Kivu: "there is an attempt to block the operations against the FDLR" denounces civil society
- 2015-03-12 - Alarm for the recruitment of young Muslims in eastern Congo
- 2015-02-27 - A priest killed in the east of the Country; the Bishop of Goma denounces insecurity in the area
- 2015-02-25 - Strong humanitarian concern for the announced offensive against Rwandan rebels
- 2015-02-23 - “Government must guarantee freedom of press”: appeal following closure of several broadcasters including Kinshasa’s Catholic TV
- 2015-02-21 - AFRICA/ DR CONGO – Election calendar made public: eight elections in two years