AMERICA/CHILE - A pilot program for street children
Vina del Mar (Agenzia Fides) – To abandon the harsh realities of street life and receive psychosocial support is the experience that 25 children between 5 and 17 years of age were able to live in the municipality of San Antonio, the main Chilean port on the Pacific Ocean in the Valparaíso Region. In October 2012, young children had been placed in a small pilot program of local NGO Cidets, which recovered them from emergency situations. The initiative has had a great impact among the population in order to raise awareness about the reality of people living on the streets, especially when it comes to children who live or spend a lot of time wandering through the streets of the city. Given the success, the NGO has confirmed the program that provides the coverage of 26 minors also for 2013-2014. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 01/08/2013)
- 2015-05-19 - The main problems of childhood in Chile: Sexual exploitation, trafficking, drugs, alcohol
- 2015-05-18 - First agreement between former political prisoners and government, Mgr. Goic President of the Commission
- 2015-05-16 - Two students die during the protests; the Church appeals for non-violence
- 2015-05-06 - Bishops' statement: "The right to truth, forgiveness is not impunity"
- 2015-04-15 - Protection of life and communication in the Church's mission, priority in the Chilean Church
- 2015-04-14 - Floods force more than 40 000 children not to go to school
- 2015-03-30 - Floods and landslides: 12 dead and thousands displaced, Caritas at work
- 2015-02-23 - Rudimental bomb explodes near a parish in the capital
- 2015-01-29 - "We have lost a great opportunity": criticism regarding the Law on Education
- 2014-11-19 - Bishops support: "an educational reform for the good of the nation"