AMERICA/CHILE - Raid in the cathedral, intervention of the President of Chile
Santiago (Agenzia Fides) - The President of Chile, Sebastián Piñera, has condemned the attack against the Cathedral of Santiago which took place on Thursday evening during the celebration of the feast of the city, the commemoration of St. James. "I wish to express our absolute condemnation and rejection to these types of acts, because it means not respecting other people’s rights", said Piñera.
On Thursday evening, about 5,000 people marched through the center of Santiago to ask for "free abortion". A group of protesters entered the Metropolitan Cathedral, interrupted the Mass, wreaked havoc, destroyed a part of the church, painted side altars and tried to burn the pews of the church.
"I spoke with the archbishop of Santiago to express our full solidarity and ratify the government’s commitment regarding freedom of religion, freedom of worship and the protection of the unborn", said the Chilean President.
The mayor of Santiago, Carolina Toha, told reporters that she "is not a believer", but held that "the people who were in the cathedral at that time, were attacked for no apparent reason and this is not acceptable". Toha was among those who attended the Mass celebrated by the Metropolitan Archbishop of Santiago, Mgr. Ricardo Ezzati, on the feast of St. James, the patron saint of the city. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 27/07/2013)
- 2014-10-20 - A hundred thousand on a pilgrimage for the family to the shrine of the first Chilean Saint
- 2014-10-03 - Apostolic Vicar of Aysen awarded: "Water is also a problem of sovereignty"
- 2014-06-26 - Wüñol Tripantu, the Mapuche celebration of the rebirth of life
- 2014-06-20 - "Here we are Lord, in the World Cup": special section on the website of the Catholic Bishops' Conference
- 2014-05-30 - AMERICA/CHILE – Local Catholic Church committed to educational reform nation wide
- 2014-05-07 - The decline in vocations to priesthood at the center of the Assembly of Bishops of Chile
- 2014-04-14 - Card. Ezzati’s appeal: Solidarity with the people of Valparaiso after the tragic fire
- 2014-01-09 - Peru and Chile, brotherly peoples
- 2014-01-07 - "One should listen to the Mapuche people in order to resolve the conflict in Araucanía" asks the Bishop of Temuco
- 2013-12-17 - "Supporting initiatives in favor of development": the President of the Bishops' Conference meets newly elected President Bachelet