AMERICA/CHILE - Raid in the cathedral, intervention of the President of Chile
Santiago (Agenzia Fides) - The President of Chile, Sebastián Piñera, has condemned the attack against the Cathedral of Santiago which took place on Thursday evening during the celebration of the feast of the city, the commemoration of St. James. "I wish to express our absolute condemnation and rejection to these types of acts, because it means not respecting other people’s rights", said Piñera.
On Thursday evening, about 5,000 people marched through the center of Santiago to ask for "free abortion". A group of protesters entered the Metropolitan Cathedral, interrupted the Mass, wreaked havoc, destroyed a part of the church, painted side altars and tried to burn the pews of the church.
"I spoke with the archbishop of Santiago to express our full solidarity and ratify the government’s commitment regarding freedom of religion, freedom of worship and the protection of the unborn", said the Chilean President.
The mayor of Santiago, Carolina Toha, told reporters that she "is not a believer", but held that "the people who were in the cathedral at that time, were attacked for no apparent reason and this is not acceptable". Toha was among those who attended the Mass celebrated by the Metropolitan Archbishop of Santiago, Mgr. Ricardo Ezzati, on the feast of St. James, the patron saint of the city. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 27/07/2013)
- 2015-10-05 - The Bishop of Punta Arenas thanks for the clarification on the gas supply
- 2015-09-29 - The Bishop of Punta Arenas denounces: There is no transparency in the agreements for gas
- 2015-09-25 - Earthquake victims help other victims: the President of Caritas Chile in the affected areas
- 2015-08-06 - "Freedoms have limits", said Mgr. Chomalí
- 2015-08-03 - “Abortion is never therapeutic”: local Catholic Church attacks
- 2015-07-01 - Procession at sea on Easter Island for St. Peter, praying for the Pope's visit
- 2015-05-19 - The main problems of childhood in Chile: Sexual exploitation, trafficking, drugs, alcohol
- 2015-05-18 - First agreement between former political prisoners and government, Mgr. Goic President of the Commission
- 2015-05-16 - Two students die during the protests; the Church appeals for non-violence
- 2015-05-06 - Bishops' statement: "The right to truth, forgiveness is not impunity"