AMERICA/CHILE - Raid in the cathedral, intervention of the President of Chile
Santiago (Agenzia Fides) - The President of Chile, Sebastián Piñera, has condemned the attack against the Cathedral of Santiago which took place on Thursday evening during the celebration of the feast of the city, the commemoration of St. James. "I wish to express our absolute condemnation and rejection to these types of acts, because it means not respecting other people’s rights", said Piñera.
On Thursday evening, about 5,000 people marched through the center of Santiago to ask for "free abortion". A group of protesters entered the Metropolitan Cathedral, interrupted the Mass, wreaked havoc, destroyed a part of the church, painted side altars and tried to burn the pews of the church.
"I spoke with the archbishop of Santiago to express our full solidarity and ratify the government’s commitment regarding freedom of religion, freedom of worship and the protection of the unborn", said the Chilean President.
The mayor of Santiago, Carolina Toha, told reporters that she "is not a believer", but held that "the people who were in the cathedral at that time, were attacked for no apparent reason and this is not acceptable". Toha was among those who attended the Mass celebrated by the Metropolitan Archbishop of Santiago, Mgr. Ricardo Ezzati, on the feast of St. James, the patron saint of the city. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 27/07/2013)
- 2014-01-09 AMERICA/CHILE - Peru and Chile, brotherly peoples
- 2014-01-07 AMERICA/CHILE - "One should listen to the Mapuche people in order to resolve the conflict in Araucanía" asks the Bishop of Temuco
- 2013-12-17 AMERICA/CHILE - "Supporting initiatives in favor of development": the President of the Bishops' Conference meets newly elected President Bachelet
- 2013-12-16 AMERICA/CHILE - Michelle Bachelet, Chile's new president
- 2013-11-23 AMERICA/CHILE - A community divided in two in order to protect the environment threatened by the Pascua Lama project
- 2013-11-22 AMERICA/CHILE - Solidarity of the Chilean Church to the victims of the typhoon that hit the Philippines
- 2013-11-08 AMERICA/CHILE – Mgr. Ezzati re-elected President of the CECh; waiting for the final message of the Assembly
- 2013-10-15 AMERICA/CHILE - A 12-meter missionary cross to conclude the "Youth Mission"
- 2013-10-11 AMERICA/CHILE - "Water should not be anyone's privilege": the first congress for water in Chile
- 2013-10-09 AMERICA/CHILE - "All missionaries and for the whole world": the contribution of Chile to the missions