OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - The religious, voice and prophetic action in society
Port Moresby (Agenzia Fides) - The approximately two thousand religious present in Papua New Guinea, among orders and men and women congregations, "are called to be a prophetic voice, ready to denounce injustice": is the appeal launched in a note sent to Fides by the Bishop of Goroka, Msg. Francesco Sarego, SVD, of the community of the Divine Word missionaries, asking for a greater presence of the Federation of the religious orders on the crucial issues affecting the lives of society and the nation, such as, for example, the death penalty or reception of refugees and asylum seekers. Fr. Victor Roche, Svd agrees with the Bishop’s appeal, pointing out that "there are many problems in the country that need a prophetic voice", citing the issue of the killings linked to witchcraft, a sore point for Papua’s society.
"It is true - says to Fides Sister Marie Turner, a nun who lives and works in Papua - that the religious speak through action". "A prophetic voice is also in our witness and lifestyle", she explains, recalling that the religious are involved in social work for the victims of violence, the disabled, the sick and homeless, for those who suffer from all kinds of addictions. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 26/07/2013)
- 2013-11-29 OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - The Church in the Pacific wants to be more present in the media
- 2013-11-18 OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - Bishop Rolando Santos: "The light of faith to enlighten the lives of families"
- 2013-11-12 OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - The family at the center of the Church's pastoral plan for the next five years
- 2013-11-06 OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - The Church in the Pacific questions itself about the new evangelization
- 2013-11-05 OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - The Church looks into the future: from the General Assembly a new pastoral plan
- 2013-08-27 OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - Church calls for authentic alliance with the State, especially with regards to social policy
- 2013-07-26 OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - The religious, voice and prophetic action in society
- 2013-07-23 OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - The Church deplores the agreement between Australia and Papua New Guinea on refugees
- 2013-07-16 OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - Prohibit non-Christian faiths? For the Church, it would be absurd
- 2013-07-09 OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - Teenage pregnancies: the Church is alone in the prevention