OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - The religious, voice and prophetic action in society
Port Moresby (Agenzia Fides) - The approximately two thousand religious present in Papua New Guinea, among orders and men and women congregations, "are called to be a prophetic voice, ready to denounce injustice": is the appeal launched in a note sent to Fides by the Bishop of Goroka, Msg. Francesco Sarego, SVD, of the community of the Divine Word missionaries, asking for a greater presence of the Federation of the religious orders on the crucial issues affecting the lives of society and the nation, such as, for example, the death penalty or reception of refugees and asylum seekers. Fr. Victor Roche, Svd agrees with the Bishop’s appeal, pointing out that "there are many problems in the country that need a prophetic voice", citing the issue of the killings linked to witchcraft, a sore point for Papua’s society.
"It is true - says to Fides Sister Marie Turner, a nun who lives and works in Papua - that the religious speak through action". "A prophetic voice is also in our witness and lifestyle", she explains, recalling that the religious are involved in social work for the victims of violence, the disabled, the sick and homeless, for those who suffer from all kinds of addictions. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 26/07/2013)
- 2014-03-01 - Bishops: urgent “truly humane” response to question of refugees
- 2014-02-03 - UN Coordinator in Papua: "Additional reflection is needed with regards to death penalty"
- 2014-01-31 - Archbishop Young: concern for the 13 prisoners that will be executed
- 2014-01-30 - The Church: population growth is not a nightmare
- 2014-01-28 - OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA – Does Papua New Guinea want notoriety thanks to the death penalty?
- 2014-01-23 - On the feast of St. Francis de Sales, the Church reflects on witchcraft
- 2014-01-02 - Fight against witchcraft: the vital contribution of Churches
- 2013-12-19 - A nun at the service of the illiterate and people with AIDS
- 2013-11-29 - The Church in the Pacific wants to be more present in the media
- 2013-11-18 - Bishop Rolando Santos: "The light of faith to enlighten the lives of families"