OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - The religious, voice and prophetic action in society
Port Moresby (Agenzia Fides) - The approximately two thousand religious present in Papua New Guinea, among orders and men and women congregations, "are called to be a prophetic voice, ready to denounce injustice": is the appeal launched in a note sent to Fides by the Bishop of Goroka, Msg. Francesco Sarego, SVD, of the community of the Divine Word missionaries, asking for a greater presence of the Federation of the religious orders on the crucial issues affecting the lives of society and the nation, such as, for example, the death penalty or reception of refugees and asylum seekers. Fr. Victor Roche, Svd agrees with the Bishop’s appeal, pointing out that "there are many problems in the country that need a prophetic voice", citing the issue of the killings linked to witchcraft, a sore point for Papua’s society.
"It is true - says to Fides Sister Marie Turner, a nun who lives and works in Papua - that the religious speak through action". "A prophetic voice is also in our witness and lifestyle", she explains, recalling that the religious are involved in social work for the victims of violence, the disabled, the sick and homeless, for those who suffer from all kinds of addictions. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 26/07/2013)
OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA
- 2015-03-31 - Cases of multidrug resistant tuberculosis increase and there is little accessibility to healthcare
- 2015-03-27 - "WeCare!" Foundation: support to vulnerable women and marginalized children and young people
- 2015-02-03 - The Bishops: "safe and humane conditions for refugees"
- 2015-01-19 - Bishops' Pastoral Plan: "Go and tell everyone"
- 2015-01-15 - Twenty years with Blessed Peter ToRot, an example for every Christian
- 2014-12-18 - The Bishop of Alotau’s appeal for the population
- 2014-10-03 - The President of Bishops: "Family in Melanesia is an intense network of relationships"
- 2014-07-01 - Political crisis: Bishops’ appeal for the common good
- 2014-06-30 - The Archbishop of Madang: "Church and State united against domestic violence"
- 2014-05-22 - Open Letter of the Bishops to politicians: "Let us protect life together for the common good"