AMERICA/VENEZUELA - Dialogue and truth, the Catholic community in favor of a clarification
Maracay (Agenzia Fides) - Commenting on the various political events that have recently sparked the debate at a national and regional level, the Bishop of the Diocese of Maracay, His Exc. Mgr. Rafael Ramón Conde Alfonzo, has launched an appeal for peace and for dialogue among all Venezuelans.
According to the note sent to Fides Agency, the Deputies of the Legislative Council of Aragua belonging to the party "Primero Justicia", have in fact delivered a document to His Exc. Mgr. Rafael Conde, asking for his intervention in the case of the deputy of the National Assembly, Richard Mardo, accused of fraud and corruption by the National Assembly. The president of the parliament has called for the deputy’s arrest and the suspension of parliamentary immunity. Public opinion is divided because the deputy worked for more than 15 years to help the needy and even received the honorary citizenship by the municipality of the city of Caracas. The legislator Elias Bermudez said that the Church in Venezuela is an institution for peace and truth, and that has always been on the side of the people struggling for the welfare of the needy. This is the why the Church has been asked to intervene in a case that has become a debate at a national level.
During the press conference convened by the Bishop of Maracay, Mgr. Conde has asked for understanding, tolerance and respect for all citizens. "We need to be open to dialogue to talk and listen," he reiterated. In his reflection on the situation, he noted that "in Venezuelan society it is necessary to respect the rights and obligations of all citizens, so that in every adversity there is the possibility of a peaceful solution and in this way national coexistence can be ensured". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 26/07/2013)
- 2015-01-30 - Mgr. Parra robbed during a parish meeting: "Money is spent on many things, but not on safety"
- 2015-01-13 - Dialogue to end the crisis: the exhortation of the Episcopal Conference
- 2015-01-12 - Shops are empty: Cardinal Urosa calls on the government to act quickly and urges to remain calm
- 2015-01-08 - AMERICA/VENEZUELA – Assembly of Bishops: dialogue to end the crisis and the necessity to find agreed solutions
- 2014-12-06 - Poverty, few infrastructures and precarious preventive measures: fertile terrain for Chikungunya virus
- 2014-10-28 - Cardinal Urosa Savino: "Respect for political prisoners"
- 2014-10-21 - AMERICA/VENEZUELA – May Saint John Paul II accompany Venezuela in the paths of peace and justice
- 2014-10-01 - "Division is not from God": in march for peace and unity of the country
- 2014-09-30 - Violence in the country does not decrease: a military chaplain killed
- 2014-09-27 - "Do not be afraid of peace" Pope Francis’ letter to Venezuela