AMERICA/VENEZUELA - Dialogue and truth, the Catholic community in favor of a clarification
Maracay (Agenzia Fides) - Commenting on the various political events that have recently sparked the debate at a national and regional level, the Bishop of the Diocese of Maracay, His Exc. Mgr. Rafael Ramón Conde Alfonzo, has launched an appeal for peace and for dialogue among all Venezuelans.
According to the note sent to Fides Agency, the Deputies of the Legislative Council of Aragua belonging to the party "Primero Justicia", have in fact delivered a document to His Exc. Mgr. Rafael Conde, asking for his intervention in the case of the deputy of the National Assembly, Richard Mardo, accused of fraud and corruption by the National Assembly. The president of the parliament has called for the deputy’s arrest and the suspension of parliamentary immunity. Public opinion is divided because the deputy worked for more than 15 years to help the needy and even received the honorary citizenship by the municipality of the city of Caracas. The legislator Elias Bermudez said that the Church in Venezuela is an institution for peace and truth, and that has always been on the side of the people struggling for the welfare of the needy. This is the why the Church has been asked to intervene in a case that has become a debate at a national level.
During the press conference convened by the Bishop of Maracay, Mgr. Conde has asked for understanding, tolerance and respect for all citizens. "We need to be open to dialogue to talk and listen," he reiterated. In his reflection on the situation, he noted that "in Venezuelan society it is necessary to respect the rights and obligations of all citizens, so that in every adversity there is the possibility of a peaceful solution and in this way national coexistence can be ensured". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 26/07/2013)
- 2014-02-28 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - Pray for Venezuela and discern events in the light of the Word of God
- 2014-02-27 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - The Church at National Conference for Peace: find ways and means for dialogue to resolve the difficulties of Venezuela
- 2014-02-26 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - “A process of reconciliation is necessary”, Bishops call dialogue to discover the truth
- 2014-02-26 AMERICA/VENEZUELA – Christians in prayer to accompany imminent National Peace Conference
- 2014-02-21 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - Cardinal Urosa to the government: "dialogue that recognizes the country's problems "
- 2014-02-18 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - Funeral of the two Salesians killed: more than 50 years at the service of Venezuela
- 2014-02-17 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - Two Salesians killed and two others injured during a robbery, insecurity in the country is worrying
- 2014-02-15 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - The Bishop of Maracay: "One has the right to protest, but violence has to stop"
- 2014-02-14 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - "The government must listen to the people who protest" the voice of the Church after 3 deaths during demonstrations
- 2014-01-31 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - According to the report of an NGO, more than 500 deaths in prisons in 2013