AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Tense Climate after the deposition of the government
Juba (Agenzia Fides) - Tense climate in Juba after the deposition of the government on behalf of South Sudanese President Salva Kiir. "Apart from an increase in roadblocks, currently there are specific movements in Juba or outside, but one lives in a state of anxiety waiting to see how the situation will evolve", said Chiara Scanagatta, representative of "Doctors with Cuamm Africa" in South Sudan, in a statement sent to Fides Agency. "We had signs of instability in previous weeks, when the President had taken many powers away from his deputy - continues Clare Scanagatta - and was aware of the tensions within the government and the party in view of the upcoming elections. Yet the ceremonies held on July 9, on the second anniversary of independence, one could breathe such an air of celebration and desire for change".
Doctors with Africa Cuamm, in South Sudan since 2006, is present in the country with a team of 14 operators who left the country and work in the hospital in Yirol in the State of the Lakes, and the hospital of Lui, in Western Equatoria. In the two hospitals over 53,000 outpatient visits, 13,000 hospitalizations, 1,461 deliveries and more than 47,000 vaccinations were carried out in 2012. (SL) (Agenzia Fides 25/07/2013)
- 2014-10-30 - Campaign against the recruitment of children in armed conflict: "Children, not soldiers"!
- 2014-10-21 - The warring parties recognize their responsibilities in the civil war, "an important step for peace"
- 2014-10-09 - The law that strengthens the powers of security services has been approved, the opposition protests
- 2014-10-07 - A million people at risk of hunger if the political crisis is not solved
- 2014-10-03 - South Sudan's authorities threaten Catholic community radio
- 2014-10-01 - Authorities have threatened to close down another Catholic radio
- 2014-09-29 - The Bishops denounce the manipulation of tribalism: "Put an end to the civil war now"
- 2014-09-23 - Religious leaders committed to calm tensions on the border with Uganda
- 2014-09-19 - South Sudan's Bakhita Radio can resume broadcasts, but without political issues
- 2014-09-17 - Malakal destroyed by the war - testimony of a nun