AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Tense Climate after the deposition of the government
Juba (Agenzia Fides) - Tense climate in Juba after the deposition of the government on behalf of South Sudanese President Salva Kiir. "Apart from an increase in roadblocks, currently there are specific movements in Juba or outside, but one lives in a state of anxiety waiting to see how the situation will evolve", said Chiara Scanagatta, representative of "Doctors with Cuamm Africa" in South Sudan, in a statement sent to Fides Agency. "We had signs of instability in previous weeks, when the President had taken many powers away from his deputy - continues Clare Scanagatta - and was aware of the tensions within the government and the party in view of the upcoming elections. Yet the ceremonies held on July 9, on the second anniversary of independence, one could breathe such an air of celebration and desire for change".
Doctors with Africa Cuamm, in South Sudan since 2006, is present in the country with a team of 14 operators who left the country and work in the hospital in Yirol in the State of the Lakes, and the hospital of Lui, in Western Equatoria. In the two hospitals over 53,000 outpatient visits, 13,000 hospitalizations, 1,461 deliveries and more than 47,000 vaccinations were carried out in 2012. (SL) (Agenzia Fides 25/07/2013)
- 2015-08-28 - The President orders the cease-fire, but expresses strong reservations on the peace agreement
- 2015-08-27 - AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN – No celebration was held in Juba for the signing of the peace agreement, "too many deaths for us to rejoice"
- 2015-08-26 - Towards the signing of the peace agreement to end the conflict described by the UN as "a threat to the peace of the entire region"
- 2015-08-11 - The peace process led by the Council of Churches begins
- 2015-08-07 - There are few hopes that the peace agreement will be signed by 17 August
- 2015-08-05 - The government of Juba rejects IGAD's peace plan, criticized by many
- 2015-08-03 - “Peace now” women march through the streets of Juba
- 2015-07-24 - AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN – School instruction during emergency situations a basic humanitarian necessity
- 2015-07-17 - "We must start again from scratch", says the Bishop Emeritus of Juba
- 2015-07-10 - New peace initiative announced by the Church on the anniversary of independence