AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Tense Climate after the deposition of the government
Juba (Agenzia Fides) - Tense climate in Juba after the deposition of the government on behalf of South Sudanese President Salva Kiir. "Apart from an increase in roadblocks, currently there are specific movements in Juba or outside, but one lives in a state of anxiety waiting to see how the situation will evolve", said Chiara Scanagatta, representative of "Doctors with Cuamm Africa" in South Sudan, in a statement sent to Fides Agency. "We had signs of instability in previous weeks, when the President had taken many powers away from his deputy - continues Clare Scanagatta - and was aware of the tensions within the government and the party in view of the upcoming elections. Yet the ceremonies held on July 9, on the second anniversary of independence, one could breathe such an air of celebration and desire for change".
Doctors with Africa Cuamm, in South Sudan since 2006, is present in the country with a team of 14 operators who left the country and work in the hospital in Yirol in the State of the Lakes, and the hospital of Lui, in Western Equatoria. In the two hospitals over 53,000 outpatient visits, 13,000 hospitalizations, 1,461 deliveries and more than 47,000 vaccinations were carried out in 2012. (SL) (Agenzia Fides 25/07/2013)
- 2015-10-08 - Perplexity about the creation of 28 new States
- 2015-10-02 - Malaria: 4,000 cases a week and the death of three children a day
- 2015-09-22 - Women, widows and orphans who live in absolute precariousness continues to increase
- 2015-09-15 - A Comboni Congolese missionary wounded in a road ambush
- 2015-09-03 - The Archbishop of Juba will inform Pope Francis on the situation in his country
- 2015-08-31 - "People fear that the peace agreements may not be respected", said the Auxiliary of Juba
- 2015-08-28 - The President orders the cease-fire, but expresses strong reservations on the peace agreement
- 2015-08-27 - AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN – No celebration was held in Juba for the signing of the peace agreement, "too many deaths for us to rejoice"
- 2015-08-26 - Towards the signing of the peace agreement to end the conflict described by the UN as "a threat to the peace of the entire region"
- 2015-08-11 - The peace process led by the Council of Churches begins