AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Tense Climate after the deposition of the government
Juba (Agenzia Fides) - Tense climate in Juba after the deposition of the government on behalf of South Sudanese President Salva Kiir. "Apart from an increase in roadblocks, currently there are specific movements in Juba or outside, but one lives in a state of anxiety waiting to see how the situation will evolve", said Chiara Scanagatta, representative of "Doctors with Cuamm Africa" in South Sudan, in a statement sent to Fides Agency. "We had signs of instability in previous weeks, when the President had taken many powers away from his deputy - continues Clare Scanagatta - and was aware of the tensions within the government and the party in view of the upcoming elections. Yet the ceremonies held on July 9, on the second anniversary of independence, one could breathe such an air of celebration and desire for change".
Doctors with Africa Cuamm, in South Sudan since 2006, is present in the country with a team of 14 operators who left the country and work in the hospital in Yirol in the State of the Lakes, and the hospital of Lui, in Western Equatoria. In the two hospitals over 53,000 outpatient visits, 13,000 hospitalizations, 1,461 deliveries and more than 47,000 vaccinations were carried out in 2012. (SL) (Agenzia Fides 25/07/2013)
- 2014-08-20 - Security agents release South Sudanese news editor South
- 2014-08-19 - The Bishops' Conference define the closure of Radio Bakhita "unfortunate"
- 2014-08-18 - The main Catholic radio station in the Country has been shut down
- 2014-08-05 - Commitment of the Church and of all the agencies present in Eastern Equatoria to raise awareness against the cholera epidemic that is rampant in the Country
- 2014-07-30 - Thousands of children at risk for an outbreak of cholera
- 2014-07-22 - Child malnutrition rates skyrocket: +73% compared to 2013
- 2014-07-10 - 3 children die every day; 50 thousand at risk for malnutrition, diseases and ethnic conflicts
- 2014-07-03 - 6 hospitals looted or burned in a few months, at least 58 people killed in the hospitals
- 2014-06-24 - Appeal of Christian and Muslim leaders: "Pursue political dialogue for peaceful settlement and end the war"
- 2014-06-13 - Despite the peace agreement there is still alert due to the constant arrivals of refugees in Ethiopia