AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Tense Climate after the deposition of the government
Juba (Agenzia Fides) - Tense climate in Juba after the deposition of the government on behalf of South Sudanese President Salva Kiir. "Apart from an increase in roadblocks, currently there are specific movements in Juba or outside, but one lives in a state of anxiety waiting to see how the situation will evolve", said Chiara Scanagatta, representative of "Doctors with Cuamm Africa" in South Sudan, in a statement sent to Fides Agency. "We had signs of instability in previous weeks, when the President had taken many powers away from his deputy - continues Clare Scanagatta - and was aware of the tensions within the government and the party in view of the upcoming elections. Yet the ceremonies held on July 9, on the second anniversary of independence, one could breathe such an air of celebration and desire for change".
Doctors with Africa Cuamm, in South Sudan since 2006, is present in the country with a team of 14 operators who left the country and work in the hospital in Yirol in the State of the Lakes, and the hospital of Lui, in Western Equatoria. In the two hospitals over 53,000 outpatient visits, 13,000 hospitalizations, 1,461 deliveries and more than 47,000 vaccinations were carried out in 2012. (SL) (Agenzia Fides 25/07/2013)
- 2015-07-24 - AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN – School instruction during emergency situations a basic humanitarian necessity
- 2015-07-17 - "We must start again from scratch", says the Bishop Emeritus of Juba
- 2015-07-10 - New peace initiative announced by the Church on the anniversary of independence
- 2015-07-09 - Violence and insecurity in the camps where refugees fleeing the civil war are welcomed
- 2015-06-25 - Cholera and rains aggravate the humanitarian situation, thousands of refugees fleeing the war: the testimony of a missionary
- 2015-06-23 - Appeal from Torit: the few NGOs that have remained in South Sudan must not leave over 4 million displaced alone
- 2015-06-10 - New appeal of Christian leaders to stop the "senseless war"
- 2015-05-27 - Christian Churches: "Stop the violence, instigated by leaders, most of whom call themselves Christians"
- 2015-05-26 - Security situation worsens due to clashes
- 2015-05-04 - "Population left to themselves, we are determined to restore peace" say Christian leaders