AMERICA/MEXICO - "The murder of father Nachito must not go unpunished", said the Archbishop Romo Muñoz
Tijuana (Agenzia Fides) - "The murder of father Nachito must not go unpunished", said the Archbishop of Tijuana, His Exc. Mgr. Rafael Romo Muñoz, after learning the sad news of the death of Father Ignacio Cortez Alvarez, known as "father Nachito", pastor of the church "María Auxiliadora" in Ensenada, in the region of Baja California (see Fides 23/07/2013). The Archbishop of the Archdiocese of Tijuana, which also includes the territory of Tecate and Rosario, is shocked by the news with regards to the violence against the priest.
In the note sent to Fides Agency, Mgr. Rafael Romo Muñoz expresses his intention to speak directly with the responsible of the Public Prosecutor’s office, because "the murder of father Nachito must not go unpunished". He then added: "I do not understand why there is so much violence. Certainly they thought that, after the Sunday Mass, there was money of the offerings in the house. Such crimes cannot go unpunishment".
The Archbishop spoke to the press not only because they personally knew the murdered priest, but also because the Diocese of Ensenada is preparing the ordination of its new Bishop, appointed on 21 May, Mgr. Rafael Valdez Torres, who will be consecrated on 31 this month. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 24/07/2013)
- 2015-03-31 - The denunciation of the Bishop of Piedras Negras: Too many missing persons of whom we know nothing
- 2015-03-23 - Caritas supports 80 thousand people without food or health care
- 2015-02-27 - The number of child laborers, exploited and often unpaid continues to increase
- 2015-02-27 - 5 months after the death of the students of Ayotzinapa: a calm but critical attitude
- 2015-02-20 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Nine years of indifference and impunity: the tragedy of Pasta de Conchos mine
- 2015-02-18 - “The poor are the ones who pay the price of corrupt politicians” Bishops denounce
- 2015-02-16 - For 20 years a group of women has offered railway-line assistance to emigrants travelling towards the United States
- 2015-02-12 - The Archdiocese of Acapulco committed to protecting young people from criminal gangs
- 2015-02-10 - Migrants: a phenomenon which is difficult to quantify
- 2015-02-09 - The Bishop of Zacatecas: "People die every day"