AMERICA/MEXICO - "The murder of father Nachito must not go unpunished", said the Archbishop Romo Muñoz
Tijuana (Agenzia Fides) - "The murder of father Nachito must not go unpunished", said the Archbishop of Tijuana, His Exc. Mgr. Rafael Romo Muñoz, after learning the sad news of the death of Father Ignacio Cortez Alvarez, known as "father Nachito", pastor of the church "María Auxiliadora" in Ensenada, in the region of Baja California (see Fides 23/07/2013). The Archbishop of the Archdiocese of Tijuana, which also includes the territory of Tecate and Rosario, is shocked by the news with regards to the violence against the priest.
In the note sent to Fides Agency, Mgr. Rafael Romo Muñoz expresses his intention to speak directly with the responsible of the Public Prosecutor’s office, because "the murder of father Nachito must not go unpunished". He then added: "I do not understand why there is so much violence. Certainly they thought that, after the Sunday Mass, there was money of the offerings in the house. Such crimes cannot go unpunishment".
The Archbishop spoke to the press not only because they personally knew the murdered priest, but also because the Diocese of Ensenada is preparing the ordination of its new Bishop, appointed on 21 May, Mgr. Rafael Valdez Torres, who will be consecrated on 31 this month. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 24/07/2013)
- 2014-12-15 - The Church reminds authorities that they even have to respond to the law for their actions
- 2014-12-13 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Conclusion of the 10th "Caravan of hope": 9 missing migrants found
- 2014-12-10 - The Church close to the families of the missing students and engaged in proposing solutions
- 2014-12-09 - AMERICA/MEXICO – After14 years ordination of 9 Indigenous permanent deacons
- 2014-12-09 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Young man dies to obtain justice
- 2014-12-06 - Bishop of Torreón calls for “more proposals and less protests to achieve peace”
- 2014-12-03 - Bishop Alba: "We cannot allow criminals steal our streets, steal our peace"
- 2014-11-29 - After improvised lessons in the street, minors are forced to bring chairs in a house used as a school every day
- 2014-11-29 - Students missing: "The authorities must clarify the situation", said the Bishop of Tlaxcala
- 2014-11-28 - From the first Sunday of Advent: Twelve Days of Prayer for Peace