AMERICA/MEXICO - "The murder of father Nachito must not go unpunished", said the Archbishop Romo Muñoz
Tijuana (Agenzia Fides) - "The murder of father Nachito must not go unpunished", said the Archbishop of Tijuana, His Exc. Mgr. Rafael Romo Muñoz, after learning the sad news of the death of Father Ignacio Cortez Alvarez, known as "father Nachito", pastor of the church "María Auxiliadora" in Ensenada, in the region of Baja California (see Fides 23/07/2013). The Archbishop of the Archdiocese of Tijuana, which also includes the territory of Tecate and Rosario, is shocked by the news with regards to the violence against the priest.
In the note sent to Fides Agency, Mgr. Rafael Romo Muñoz expresses his intention to speak directly with the responsible of the Public Prosecutor’s office, because "the murder of father Nachito must not go unpunished". He then added: "I do not understand why there is so much violence. Certainly they thought that, after the Sunday Mass, there was money of the offerings in the house. Such crimes cannot go unpunishment".
The Archbishop spoke to the press not only because they personally knew the murdered priest, but also because the Diocese of Ensenada is preparing the ordination of its new Bishop, appointed on 21 May, Mgr. Rafael Valdez Torres, who will be consecrated on 31 this month. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 24/07/2013)
- 2013-12-07 AMERICA/MEXICO - "The Church is not afraid of threats", says the Bishop of Toluca
- 2013-12-06 AMERICA/MEXICO - "They left alive, we want them back alive": solidarity for the Caravan of Central American mothers
- 2013-11-25 AMERICA/MEXICO - "Violence against women is a social challenge", says Bishop Sanchez
- 2013-11-21 AMERICA/MEXICO - The Archbishop of Morelia calls on the population: "take shelter... there is violence in the street"
- 2013-11-12 AMERICA/MEXICO - "Evangelization in a context of violence" at the center of the reflection of the Bishops’ Assembly
- 2013-11-11 AMERICA/MEXICO - Three commitments on behalf of the authorities for migrants, after the intervention of Mgr. Vera López
- 2013-11-06 AMERICA/MEXICO – Historic event: a Bishop at the Congress of Coahuila opens a dialogue for the rights of migrants
- 2013-11-05 AMERICA/MEXICO - Children do not want to speak indigenous languages for fear of discrimination
- 2013-11-05 AMERICA/MEXICO - "We want peace!": The Bishop of Apatzingan leads a march with thousands of faithful
- 2013-11-04 AMERICA/MEXICO - A net divides the two countries, many families and even the altar for the Mass for Migrants