AMERICA/MEXICO - "The murder of father Nachito must not go unpunished", said the Archbishop Romo Muñoz
Tijuana (Agenzia Fides) - "The murder of father Nachito must not go unpunished", said the Archbishop of Tijuana, His Exc. Mgr. Rafael Romo Muñoz, after learning the sad news of the death of Father Ignacio Cortez Alvarez, known as "father Nachito", pastor of the church "María Auxiliadora" in Ensenada, in the region of Baja California (see Fides 23/07/2013). The Archbishop of the Archdiocese of Tijuana, which also includes the territory of Tecate and Rosario, is shocked by the news with regards to the violence against the priest.
In the note sent to Fides Agency, Mgr. Rafael Romo Muñoz expresses his intention to speak directly with the responsible of the Public Prosecutor’s office, because "the murder of father Nachito must not go unpunished". He then added: "I do not understand why there is so much violence. Certainly they thought that, after the Sunday Mass, there was money of the offerings in the house. Such crimes cannot go unpunishment".
The Archbishop spoke to the press not only because they personally knew the murdered priest, but also because the Diocese of Ensenada is preparing the ordination of its new Bishop, appointed on 21 May, Mgr. Rafael Valdez Torres, who will be consecrated on 31 this month. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 24/07/2013)
- 2015-11-18 - AMERICA/MEXICO – The missing priest's body found, he had been set on fire
- 2015-11-17 - Parish priest in Cook has been missing for days
- 2015-11-16 - The child martyrs of Tlaxcala: martyrs of all Latin America
- 2015-11-12 - Minors not allowed to work in the sugarcane fields
- 2015-11-10 - A battlefield where migrants suffer, are attacked, die
- 2015-11-06 - Mgr. Arizmendi inaugurates a house of the migrant in Tuxtla Gutierrez
- 2015-11-05 - Bishops' appeal for peace: "Dialogue with everyone, even with organized crime"
- 2015-11-03 - For the first time in Mexican history a Pope's encyclical will be presented in the Senate
- 2015-10-27 - “Drugs are drugs even when sold as medicines”: the Catholic stance
- 2015-10-27 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Children in mining areas risk lead poisoning