AMERICA/VENEZUELA - The Church participates in the national disarmament plan
Caracas (Agenzia Fides) - The Catholic Church, through the President of the Episcopal Conference, His Exc. Mgr. Diego Rafael Padrón Sánchez, Archbishop of Cumana, has confirmed his support for the disarmament plan of the population. Mgr. Padron pointed out that the Church does not propose, however, security policies, but does not hold back when it is requested to make a contribution to the national campaign on disarmament.
"The Church can act as an intermediary for those who want to lay down their arms" highlighted the Archbishop interviewed by a local radio station during the meeting of the Minister of the Interior, Justice and Peace of Venezuela with some of the clergy of the capital for an exchange of ideas on the national campaign proposed by the government.
"However, good intentions are not enough – emphasized Mgr. Padrón - because although the initiative goes in line for the security of the population, the most important thing is the disarmament of the spirit and of the violence that is within us". According to information sent to Fides Agency, the President of the Episcopal Conference reiterated: "The message of the Church is of reconciliation, forgiveness and peace, and this is why we say to political leaders and those who have public responsibilities, to moderate their language in order to express respect, in order to allow anxiety, tension and violence that exist in the country to disappear".
The "Plan Patria Segura" was proposed for the first time by late President Hugo Chavez. We are talking about a security project that promotes a culture of peace vs. violence and coexistence among communities. Currently it involves all institutions and is in place in the 14 departments of the country. In an interview, the Minister of the Interior, Justice and Peace reported that in 2012 petty crimes and other acts of vandalism were reduced by 50% thanks to the Plan Patria Segura. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 23/07/2013)
- 2014-03-11 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - One cannot stop violence with violence
- 2014-03-11 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - Churches subject to violence and sacrilegious acts, even during Mass
- 2014-03-10 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - The Bishop of Maracay on the situation in the country: "There is no peace without justice"
- 2014-02-28 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - Pray for Venezuela and discern events in the light of the Word of God
- 2014-02-27 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - The Church at National Conference for Peace: find ways and means for dialogue to resolve the difficulties of Venezuela
- 2014-02-26 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - “A process of reconciliation is necessary”, Bishops call dialogue to discover the truth
- 2014-02-26 AMERICA/VENEZUELA – Christians in prayer to accompany imminent National Peace Conference
- 2014-02-21 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - Cardinal Urosa to the government: "dialogue that recognizes the country's problems "
- 2014-02-18 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - Funeral of the two Salesians killed: more than 50 years at the service of Venezuela
- 2014-02-17 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - Two Salesians killed and two others injured during a robbery, insecurity in the country is worrying