AMERICA/VENEZUELA - The Church participates in the national disarmament plan
Caracas (Agenzia Fides) - The Catholic Church, through the President of the Episcopal Conference, His Exc. Mgr. Diego Rafael Padrón Sánchez, Archbishop of Cumana, has confirmed his support for the disarmament plan of the population. Mgr. Padron pointed out that the Church does not propose, however, security policies, but does not hold back when it is requested to make a contribution to the national campaign on disarmament.
"The Church can act as an intermediary for those who want to lay down their arms" highlighted the Archbishop interviewed by a local radio station during the meeting of the Minister of the Interior, Justice and Peace of Venezuela with some of the clergy of the capital for an exchange of ideas on the national campaign proposed by the government.
"However, good intentions are not enough – emphasized Mgr. Padrón - because although the initiative goes in line for the security of the population, the most important thing is the disarmament of the spirit and of the violence that is within us". According to information sent to Fides Agency, the President of the Episcopal Conference reiterated: "The message of the Church is of reconciliation, forgiveness and peace, and this is why we say to political leaders and those who have public responsibilities, to moderate their language in order to express respect, in order to allow anxiety, tension and violence that exist in the country to disappear".
The "Plan Patria Segura" was proposed for the first time by late President Hugo Chavez. We are talking about a security project that promotes a culture of peace vs. violence and coexistence among communities. Currently it involves all institutions and is in place in the 14 departments of the country. In an interview, the Minister of the Interior, Justice and Peace reported that in 2012 petty crimes and other acts of vandalism were reduced by 50% thanks to the Plan Patria Segura. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 23/07/2013)
- 2015-11-26 - Tension in the capital, Cardinal Urosa: "State officials must ask for peace"
- 2015-11-23 - With the closure of borders many children are unlikely to make their First Communion
- 2015-11-11 - The Bishops call for elections: "Free vote, essential to strengthen democracy"
- 2015-09-22 - The National Assembly of the PMS: solidarity with our brothers in the East
- 2015-09-18 - The National Assembly of Pastoral Care: Renew enthusiasm in evangelization
- 2015-09-17 - Crisis with Colombia: "Governments have not done their best to solve the crisis", said Mgr. Padron
- 2015-09-07 - Poverty and precariousness force people to seek food in the garbage
- 2015-09-01 - The Bishops on the situation of conflict with Colombia: "Human rights are the same for all"
- 2015-08-12 - No social communications no democracy Bishop Lückert León speaks about the media
- 2015-08-11 - Drugs are lacking in the country, some use those for animals