AMERICA/VENEZUELA - The Church participates in the national disarmament plan
Caracas (Agenzia Fides) - The Catholic Church, through the President of the Episcopal Conference, His Exc. Mgr. Diego Rafael Padrón Sánchez, Archbishop of Cumana, has confirmed his support for the disarmament plan of the population. Mgr. Padron pointed out that the Church does not propose, however, security policies, but does not hold back when it is requested to make a contribution to the national campaign on disarmament.
"The Church can act as an intermediary for those who want to lay down their arms" highlighted the Archbishop interviewed by a local radio station during the meeting of the Minister of the Interior, Justice and Peace of Venezuela with some of the clergy of the capital for an exchange of ideas on the national campaign proposed by the government.
"However, good intentions are not enough – emphasized Mgr. Padrón - because although the initiative goes in line for the security of the population, the most important thing is the disarmament of the spirit and of the violence that is within us". According to information sent to Fides Agency, the President of the Episcopal Conference reiterated: "The message of the Church is of reconciliation, forgiveness and peace, and this is why we say to political leaders and those who have public responsibilities, to moderate their language in order to express respect, in order to allow anxiety, tension and violence that exist in the country to disappear".
The "Plan Patria Segura" was proposed for the first time by late President Hugo Chavez. We are talking about a security project that promotes a culture of peace vs. violence and coexistence among communities. Currently it involves all institutions and is in place in the 14 departments of the country. In an interview, the Minister of the Interior, Justice and Peace reported that in 2012 petty crimes and other acts of vandalism were reduced by 50% thanks to the Plan Patria Segura. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 23/07/2013)
- 2013-12-05 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - Voting is "a moral obligation": the Archbishop of Caracas invites to participate in the municipal elections
- 2013-12-02 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - Final Message of CAM 4: "Missionary America, share your faith!"
- 2013-11-29 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - CAM 4: The American Church in permanent mission to bear witness to life
- 2013-11-28 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - A response of the missionary church to the multicultural world, the work of CAM4
- 2013-11-27 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - Joy and music for the great feast of the mission: CAM 4 has begun
- 2013-11-26 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - "May this continent allow faith to grow in other continents", said Cardinal Filoni, Special Envoy of the Pope at CAM 4
- 2013-11-25 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - On the eve of the opening of CAM 4, the last phase of the continental missionary journey
- 2013-11-22 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - Proclaiming the Gospel in a multicultural world: the opening of CAM 4 approaches
- 2013-11-19 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - No "unclean bread", Bishops' statement on the socio-economic situation
- 2013-11-18 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - A week before the continental missionary event, CAM 4 website is online