ASIA/INDIA - The Bishops: Christians can contribute to justice in Orissa
Bhubaneswar (Agenzia Fides) - "Christians, although a small minority, are called, by virtue of their faith, to be the leaven of justice and peace in Orissa. Driven by their faith, hope and charity they are responsible for the construction of a new society in Orissa": this was reported to Fides by Mgr. John Barwa, Archbishop of Cuttack-Bhubaneswar, on inaugurating a formation seminar for lay Christians, catechists and pastoral workers organized in past days in Bhubaneswar, capital of Orissa, in collaboration with the Commission "Justice, Peace and Human Development" of the Episcopal Conference of India. The course was focused on the theme of justice: how to contribute and what the role of Catholics is?
A note sent to Fides by Fr. Charles Irudayam, Secretary of the Commission of the Bishops says that the course was attended by 70 Christian leaders from the five dioceses of Orissa.
The team of experts included Fr. Irudayam, Fr. Ajay Singh, Secretary of the Commission "Justice and Peace" in Orissa, the Jesuit Fr. Stanislaus Jebamalai, and other lay people. The expert speakers suggested strategies and lines of action in order to achieve the vision and objectives of the course. Among the issues raised, given the situation in Orissa, were: the problems and violence suffered by the local Church; discrimination of Dalits and minorities; "communitarian" pressures; violations of human rights, women's and children’s rights; the lack of political attention and the social marginalization of tribals and adivasis. To meet these challenges, what was stressed during the seminar was the Church's social doctrine that encourages the faithful to take an active role in building a just society, which ensures a harmonious life to the different groups. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 19/07/2013)
- 2015-11-20 - Cardinal Gracias: "This is how we will live the Jubilee of Mercy"
- 2015-11-17 - Aggression against Christians to "convert to Hinduism"
- 2015-11-12 - Appeal to Prime Minister Modi: "Protect religious minorities"
- 2015-11-10 - Depression, mental and emotional disorders for orphans, victims of armed conflict
- 2015-11-06 - Son of a Protestant pastor kidnapped
- 2015-11-04 - Hindu extremists against the growth of the Christian and Muslim population
- 2015-11-03 - The Report of the Commission of Inquiry on anti-Christian violence in Orissa is being prepared
- 2015-10-29 - Cardinal Alencherry: "India has to deal with serious issues, not the consumption of beef"
- 2015-10-24 - Dalit infants burnt alive: Bishops deplore inhuman act
- 2015-10-23 - Jesuit sees growing intolerance in India