AMERICA/COLOMBIA – Farmers in the region of Catatumbo evicted from oil companies
Catatumbo (Agenzia Fides) - Catatumbo is one of the poorest areas of Colombia, which is situated in the northern department of Santander. In the region there are no public services and infrastructures and there is so much social inequality. 73% of the population is poor despite this being one of the areas with a high concentration of oil. National and transnational companies have evicted the farmers without offering them anything in return, unleashing a series of protests now going on for over a month. They blocked roads and highways urging the government to declare a Reserve Zone to protect their land and their lives. Among their demands, the farmers also insist on a pilot project to replace illicit crops, protect human rights in the area, as well as subsidies to limit the food crisis and improve the living conditions of the population. The areas had already been legally defined in 1994 as a figure of territorial system in order to consolidate survival and rural economy. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 18/07/2013)
AMERICA/COLOMBIA – FARMERS IN THE REGION OF CATATUMBO EVICTED FROM OIL COMPANIES
- 2015-11-24 - Peace process: no need to hasten the signing without verifying the international law
- 2015-11-21 - The Church: need to clarify the referendum to have lasting peace
- 2015-11-19 - "There are connections between the conflicts in the Middle East and environmental issues" says a Jesuit
- 2015-11-16 - Poverty on the rise in Santa Fe and Chapinero: daily wage and lack of retirement among the causes
- 2015-11-12 - Meeting of the Pan-Amazonian Network: necessity to listen to indigenous peoples to protect creation
- 2015-10-20 - Mgr. Castro Quiroga: "The opening of dialogue with ELN is positive news"
- 2015-10-19 - "Pope Francis" food bank for needy families in Villavicencio
- 2015-10-09 - Cardinal Pimiento: "Vote-buying is a crime"
- 2015-10-02 - Become peacemakers: 400 priests offer the opportunity to receive the sacrament of reconciliation
- 2015-09-24 - Colombia towards peace through the path of reconciliation