ASIA/SYRIA - Two Christian children affected in the bombings in Aleppo
Aleppo (Agenzia Fides) - The civilian population of Aleppo pay the highest price of the clashes that inflame the city. Over the past three days, more than 150 mortar shells have hit residential areas killing 15 people and injuring more than 75. Local sources of Fides report that a bomb fell on a shop that sells bread in the neighborhood of Sulaimaniyeh. Among the people who were in line to get bread, a person was killed and eight were wounded, including two children.
The local Christian community reports to Fides that among the victims of the bombings are two Christian children. One died, Georgio Rabbat, 13 years old, the only son of a Syrian Catholic family. He was a bright boy, he liked to study and dreamed of having the highest score in his exams to get into college. He was playing in the street with other children in the neighborhood where the Syriac community lives, when a mortar shell exploded nearby and hit him. Another girl called Pamela Dekermanji, four years old comes from a Syriac Orthodox Christian family: she was hit by shrapnel to the head and is in critical condition.
There have been no vegetables, fruit, meat for about ten days in Aleppo and even bread is scarce. The population eats rice and cereals. The reason is the embargo imposed by the rebels that is strangling the city and having a severe impact on the civilian population. According to Fides sources, if the blockade continues, "a humanitarian crisis is at risk". Civilians are also "collateral" victims of the crossfire affecting residential areas. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 16/07/2013)
- 2014-10-13 - The five Christians of the Orontes Valley, who were still being held by jihadists, have been released
- 2014-10-10 - Five Christians of the Orontes Valley still held by Islamic jihadists
- 2014-10-09 - Father Jallouf Hanna has been released
- 2014-10-09 - ASIA/SYRIA – The four women abducted along with Father Hanna have been released; no message from the kidnappers
- 2014-10-08 - The Franciscan priest kidnapped after he had appealed to the Islamic Court
- 2014-10-07 - Custody of the Holy Land: Fr. Jallouf and other Christians kidnapped by the jihadists linked to al-Nusra
- 2014-10-07 - Bishop Khazen confirms: a priest and twenty Christians of the village of Knayeh have been kidnapped
- 2014-10-02 - Massacre of children in Homs; three Christians kidnapped in the province of Hassaké
- 2014-09-24 - Armenian Archbishop of Aleppo: for the people, the perpetrators of the raids are certainly not "liberators"
- 2014-09-22 - The jihadists of the Islamic State destroy the memorial church of the Armenian Genocide in Deir el-Zor