AMERICA/HONDURAS - More violence in the Country, national mourning for the murder of a well-known journalist
San Pedro Sula (Agenzia Fides) - "The case of Anibal Barrow is not the only case because there are so many others that happen every day", said Mgr. Romulo Emiliani, Auxiliary Bishop of the Diocese of San Pedro Sula, after the discovery of journalist Anibal Barrow’s body. Mgr. Emiliani condemning the total lack of respect for human life, stressed that one continues to discuss the lack of security in the Country, but without concrete results.
Even Father Carlos Rubio, Vicar of the Cathedral of Tegucigalpa has condemned the horrific crime by stating that it is "a real tragedy".
The entire population is still shocked by this terrible murder and the government declared a day of national mourning. The funeral will be held this afternoon in the parish of San Vicente de Paul in San Pedro Sula.
According to the National Commission for Human Rights (CONADEH), since 2003 35 journalists have been killed in Honduras, 80% of whom have died during the mandate of the current government which took office in January 2010. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 11/07/2013)
- 2014-07-23 - The Bishop of Choluteca: 5000 people are forced to put their lives at risk in mines every day
- 2014-07-02 - Campaign in schools in favor of children on the issue of responsibility
- 2014-06-23 - It is time to take action! More than 13 thousand children and young Hondurans at the U.S. Border
- 2014-06-13 - Honour of the Congress to Bishop Emiliani Sánchez for his social contribution
- 2014-05-15 - Violence against children who suffer abuse and harassment continues
- 2014-05-13 - Condemnation of the Church for the murder of children, violence does not stop in the country
- 2014-04-30 - Femicide continues to spread: nearly 4000 women were killed between 2002 and 2013
- 2014-04-16 - Appeal to clarify the murder of an employee of Radio Progreso
- 2014-03-11 - Criminal gangs train children to handle firearms
- 2014-02-10 - Recognition proposal for the intense social work carried out by the Auxiliary Bishop of the Diocese of San Pedro Sula