AMERICA/HONDURAS - More violence in the Country, national mourning for the murder of a well-known journalist
San Pedro Sula (Agenzia Fides) - "The case of Anibal Barrow is not the only case because there are so many others that happen every day", said Mgr. Romulo Emiliani, Auxiliary Bishop of the Diocese of San Pedro Sula, after the discovery of journalist Anibal Barrow’s body. Mgr. Emiliani condemning the total lack of respect for human life, stressed that one continues to discuss the lack of security in the Country, but without concrete results.
Even Father Carlos Rubio, Vicar of the Cathedral of Tegucigalpa has condemned the horrific crime by stating that it is "a real tragedy".
The entire population is still shocked by this terrible murder and the government declared a day of national mourning. The funeral will be held this afternoon in the parish of San Vicente de Paul in San Pedro Sula.
According to the National Commission for Human Rights (CONADEH), since 2003 35 journalists have been killed in Honduras, 80% of whom have died during the mandate of the current government which took office in January 2010. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 11/07/2013)
- 2014-02-10 AMERICA/HONDURAS - Recognition proposal for the intense social work carried out by the Auxiliary Bishop of the Diocese of San Pedro Sula
- 2014-01-20 AMERICA/HONDURAS - 3,800 children and young people killed in the last four years
- 2014-01-16 AMERICA/HONDURAS - In order to reintegrate into society, ex-prisoners form a solidarity group
- 2014-01-13 AMERICA/HONDURAS - Sexual abuse and prostitution per 3000 girls between 12 to 17 years of age
- 2013-11-21 AMERICA/HONDURAS - "A story of injustice and inequality, it is time for a change": ready for Sunday's elections
- 2013-11-19 AMERICA/HONDURAS - "Vote to have transparent and honest politicians"; 51% of voters are women
- 2013-10-11 AMERICA/HONDURAS - "Children in Christ, firm in Faith", 20,000 letters to the Pope for the National Day of Missionary Childhood
- 2013-10-11 AMERICA/HONDURAS - Confidence in the future of the country, the Bishops call for a free and responsible election
- 2013-09-06 AMERICA/HONDURAS - Domestic violence, poverty, organized crime for the children of one of the most violent countries in the world
- 2013-08-22 AMERICA/HONDURAS - The Tolupanes ethnic group survives in poverty