AMERICA/HONDURAS - More violence in the Country, national mourning for the murder of a well-known journalist
San Pedro Sula (Agenzia Fides) - "The case of Anibal Barrow is not the only case because there are so many others that happen every day", said Mgr. Romulo Emiliani, Auxiliary Bishop of the Diocese of San Pedro Sula, after the discovery of journalist Anibal Barrow’s body. Mgr. Emiliani condemning the total lack of respect for human life, stressed that one continues to discuss the lack of security in the Country, but without concrete results.
Even Father Carlos Rubio, Vicar of the Cathedral of Tegucigalpa has condemned the horrific crime by stating that it is "a real tragedy".
The entire population is still shocked by this terrible murder and the government declared a day of national mourning. The funeral will be held this afternoon in the parish of San Vicente de Paul in San Pedro Sula.
According to the National Commission for Human Rights (CONADEH), since 2003 35 journalists have been killed in Honduras, 80% of whom have died during the mandate of the current government which took office in January 2010. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 11/07/2013)
- 2015-10-27 - Bishop Emiliani encourages “Honduras can do it, can stand up, can react”
- 2015-10-06 - Honduran Community says goodbye to candles and "dirty" electricity
- 2015-10-02 - Honduran Missionary receives an award for human rights
- 2015-09-23 - Mgr. Emiliani denounces the "violent reactions in the face of any situation"
- 2015-09-21 - "Honduras is sick of hate", warns Cardinal Rodriguez Maradiaga
- 2015-09-09 - Children resist famine thanks to school snacks
- 2015-07-17 - Sexual abuse on children have repercussions in adulthood
- 2015-07-15 - A new ward for children suffering from dengue and chikungunya
- 2015-07-15 - Campaign of the diocese of San Pedro Sula: "An honest man is not corrupt"
- 2015-07-06 - Still demonstrations against corruption, while other scandals come to light