AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Abolition of the death penalty: appeal on the 2nd anniversary of the independence of South Sudan
Juba (Agenzia Fides) - On the occasion of the second anniversary of the independence of South Sudan (proclaimed on 9 July 2011), a number of civil society groups have launched an appeal for the abolition of the death penalty in the Country and to commute all death sentences in other forms of punishment.
The appeal, addressed to President Salva Kiir, was also signed by the Comboni Missionaries.
The signatories also express their concern for the fate of 11 men sentenced to death by hanging in Wau, in the state of Western Bahr el Ghazal, accused of killing six farmers in December 2012.
The signatories of the petition also call the governors of the Lake States, of Warrap and Unity, to solve the problem of cattle raids without resorting to the application of the death penalty or to ask for it when the accused refuses to pay "blood money".
The Catholic Church held a national prayer of reconciliation and penance in the capital Juba to celebrate the anniversary of national independence. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 09/07/2013)
- 2014-04-15 - Christian leaders’ appeal: "Stop the violence, this is not the future for which the people of the Country voted"
- 2014-03-11 - Inauguration of the pediatric wing of the hospital in Yirol
- 2014-03-07 - "The South Sudanese people will come out of this crisis stronger than";fifty years from the expulsion of the missionaries
- 2014-03-03 - Malakal, a city of 250,000 inhabitants, completely deserted after the rebel attacks: the testimony of a missionary to Fides
- 2014-02-27 - “Let us work together for peace”: Bishop Taban urges Muslim community
- 2014-02-25 - “Our place is here”: caring for mothers and infants in need of medical attention
- 2014-02-20 - "Civil society needs to be involved in future peace negotiations", said the Nuncio
- 2014-02-19 - Uncertain situation in Malakal, at the center of the fighting between government and rebels
- 2014-02-18 - The truce has been violated: fighting in Malakal has resumed
- 2014-02-12 - New round of peace talks in South Sudan