AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Abolition of the death penalty: appeal on the 2nd anniversary of the independence of South Sudan
Juba (Agenzia Fides) - On the occasion of the second anniversary of the independence of South Sudan (proclaimed on 9 July 2011), a number of civil society groups have launched an appeal for the abolition of the death penalty in the Country and to commute all death sentences in other forms of punishment.
The appeal, addressed to President Salva Kiir, was also signed by the Comboni Missionaries.
The signatories also express their concern for the fate of 11 men sentenced to death by hanging in Wau, in the state of Western Bahr el Ghazal, accused of killing six farmers in December 2012.
The signatories of the petition also call the governors of the Lake States, of Warrap and Unity, to solve the problem of cattle raids without resorting to the application of the death penalty or to ask for it when the accused refuses to pay "blood money".
The Catholic Church held a national prayer of reconciliation and penance in the capital Juba to celebrate the anniversary of national independence. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 09/07/2013)
- 2013-11-29 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - In November, 4 death sentences were carried out despite appeals for a moratorium on capital punishment
- 2013-11-18 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Foundation stone laid at the Catholic University of South Sudan
- 2013-08-06 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Emergency cases of measles complicated in addition to 1,500 of malaria
- 2013-07-25 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Tense Climate after the deposition of the government
- 2013-07-24 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN – Food emergency for thousands of people who have fled into the forests of the State of Jonglei
- 2013-07-24 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Bishop Kussala: "The military presence is not the solution"
- 2013-07-09 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Abolition of the death penalty: appeal on the 2nd anniversary of the independence of South Sudan
- 2013-07-03 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Catholic Radio station in Rumbek resumes broadcasting
- 2013-07-01 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Alarm measles for 10 counties in the Country
- 2013-06-20 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - A day of prayer for national reconciliation has been announced