AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - The Central African Church "voice of the voiceless"
Bangui (Agenzia Fides) - "The Central African Catholic Church is and remains the sole voice of the voiceless, who are all the Central Africans who die before an international community that looks away from our Country and focuses its attention on other centers of interest considered more profitable and less risky", said Mr. Godefroy Mokamanede, on behalf of the delegation of the faithful of the Archdiocese of Bangui who met His Eminence Cardinal Fernando Filoni, Prefect of the Congregation for the Evangelization of Peoples (see Fides 2/7/2013).
The delegation accompanied the Archbishop of Bangui, His Exc. Mgr. Dieudonné Nzapalainga, to whom Holy Father Francis imposed the pallium, on Saturday, June 29 in the Vatican Basilica for the Solemnity of Sts. Apostles Peter and Paul.
In his speech, Mr. Mokamanede described the plight of Central Africa, repeatedly denounced by the Catholic Church (see Fides 28/06/2013 and 04/07/2013), following the actions of the rebel coalition Seleka. It was once again emphasized that the ranks of the latter, apart from some Central Africans from the north-east of the Country, militate many Chadians and Sudanese who work as mercenaries and that prey on the local population of their poor possessions.
"The social fabric is torn completely. The population has undergone a huge trauma whose consequences are manifested in cases of suicide and depression", said the representative of the Archdiocese of Bangui.
The Church despite the desecration of places of worship, theft and looting of the assets of parishes, missions, schools and Catholic health centers, first took the initiative to create an interfaith platform with the participation of the President of the Islamic Community, the President of Evangelical Churches and the Archbishop of Bangui, in order to pacify the members and help the people in distress.
A Church that reaffirms the vocation to be "salt of the earth and light of the world", that suffers but fights with the weapons of love. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 05/07/2013)
- 2015-02-24 - “Our country can be compared to a desert, where we must combat the temptations of the devil” says Archbishop Nzapalainga
- 2015-02-06 - "The conflict is political not religious" say three participants
- 2015-01-28 - Caritas: more funds needed for refugees from the Central African Republic
- 2015-01-14 - "Signs of hope but still too much violence, also due to the strong movement of weapons", say the Bishops
- 2015-01-13 - The situation is improving, the Bishops launch a campaign for social cohesion
- 2015-01-07 - Archbishop of Bangui threatened with death while bringing assistance to the displaced
- 2014-12-30 - Archbishop of Bangui pays a visit to former Seleka rebels again
- 2014-12-09 - “Where are you, perpetrator of violence in Central Africa?” demands the Archbishop of Bangui
- 2014-12-04 - Special Mass for peace at Bangui Carmel hosting 4,000 refugees
- 2014-12-02 - The Bishops denounce: "Banditry threatens peace, it seems that some have fun scattering weapons among the population"