AFRICA/EGYPT - After the deposition of Morsi, reprisals against Christians
Minya (Agenzia Fides) - Among the episodes of violence in Egypt after the overthrow of President Morsi there is also the attack against the Coptic Catholic parish of St. George, in the village of Delgia, 60 kilometers from Minya. Since Wednesday evening, July 3 groups of fanatical Islamists first looted and then burned down the pastor’s house and church group buildings. "Thank God there were no victims and injuries" says to Fides Agency the Coptic Catholic Bishop of Minya Botros Fahim Awad Hanna "but the alarm continues. The fundamentalists have closed the roads at the entrance to the village. They shout slogans against Christians, they say they want to destroy everything and now they are trying again to storm the church. The local police are helpless, I called Cairo to ask for the intervention of the army."
The attack on the parish of St. George is so far the most serious incident of violence against Christians recorded in the dramatic hours experienced by the Country. But threats and intimidation against Christian communities also occur in other Egyptian places. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 04/07/2013).
- 2015-04-27 - Muslims collect money to build a church in the Egyptian province of Al Manufiyya
- 2015-04-22 - Imams and priests promote the "culture of encounter" preaching together in schools in Minya
- 2015-04-21 - The Islamic University of Al Azhar condemns the massacre of jihadist of Christian Ethiopians
- 2015-04-20 - Coptic Bishop Antonios Aziz Mina on Ethiopian Christians massacred: the martyrs are those in whom the great and consoling victory of Christ shines
- 2015-04-16 - The Coptic Patriarch will participate in the commemorations of the centenary of the Armenian Genocide, to be held in Yerevan
- 2015-04-01 - Laying of the foundation stone of the church dedicated to the "Martyrs of Libya"
- 2015-03-31 - The Coptic Orthodox Church invites President al-Sisi to Easter Mass
- 2015-03-28 - The Coptic Church supports the government in the fight against illiteracy
- 2015-03-26 - The Coptic Orthodox Church reaffirms ban on pilgrimages to Jerusalem
- 2015-03-25 - President Sisi endorses the new regulation for the election of the Coptic Pope