AFRICA/EGYPT - After the deposition of Morsi, reprisals against Christians
Minya (Agenzia Fides) - Among the episodes of violence in Egypt after the overthrow of President Morsi there is also the attack against the Coptic Catholic parish of St. George, in the village of Delgia, 60 kilometers from Minya. Since Wednesday evening, July 3 groups of fanatical Islamists first looted and then burned down the pastor’s house and church group buildings. "Thank God there were no victims and injuries" says to Fides Agency the Coptic Catholic Bishop of Minya Botros Fahim Awad Hanna "but the alarm continues. The fundamentalists have closed the roads at the entrance to the village. They shout slogans against Christians, they say they want to destroy everything and now they are trying again to storm the church. The local police are helpless, I called Cairo to ask for the intervention of the army."
The attack on the parish of St. George is so far the most serious incident of violence against Christians recorded in the dramatic hours experienced by the Country. But threats and intimidation against Christian communities also occur in other Egyptian places. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 04/07/2013).
- 2015-03-26 - The Coptic Orthodox Church reaffirms ban on pilgrimages to Jerusalem
- 2015-03-25 - President Sisi endorses the new regulation for the election of the Coptic Pope
- 2015-03-23 - The conviction for the Salafist leader who tore up a copy of the Bible confirmed
- 2015-03-20 - Hospitals in Al Azhar open their doors to Christian doctors
- 2015-03-17 - The Egyptian government reviews Islamic religious education programs to combat extremism
- 2015-03-09 - AFRICA/EGYPT – Armed assault against the Franciscan church of Kafr el Dawar
- 2015-03-03 - Patriarch Tawadros meets the families of 21 martyrs; another Copt beheaded in Libya
- 2015-02-25 - Christian archaeological area risks demolition, Coptic monks lie down in front of bulldozers
- 2015-02-23 - Copt Church forms committee to evacuate Egyptians from Libya
- 2015-02-17 - Bishop Antonios Aziz Mina: Libya’s martyrs died with the name of Christ on their lips