AFRICA/EGYPT - After the deposition of Morsi, reprisals against Christians
Minya (Agenzia Fides) - Among the episodes of violence in Egypt after the overthrow of President Morsi there is also the attack against the Coptic Catholic parish of St. George, in the village of Delgia, 60 kilometers from Minya. Since Wednesday evening, July 3 groups of fanatical Islamists first looted and then burned down the pastor’s house and church group buildings. "Thank God there were no victims and injuries" says to Fides Agency the Coptic Catholic Bishop of Minya Botros Fahim Awad Hanna "but the alarm continues. The fundamentalists have closed the roads at the entrance to the village. They shout slogans against Christians, they say they want to destroy everything and now they are trying again to storm the church. The local police are helpless, I called Cairo to ask for the intervention of the army."
The attack on the parish of St. George is so far the most serious incident of violence against Christians recorded in the dramatic hours experienced by the Country. But threats and intimidation against Christian communities also occur in other Egyptian places. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 04/07/2013).
- 2014-04-16 - Candidates Sabbahi and al-Sisi at the Easter Vigil to be celebrated by Coptic Pope Tawadros
- 2014-03-31 - The false accusations against St. Catherine's Monastery have been rejected
- 2014-03-29 - Clashes after the Islamist assault on a church. Four dead
- 2014-03-26 - AFRICA/EGYPT – Board of inquiry: violence against Copts continues
- 2014-03-25 - Coptic Catholic Bishop on the sentences regarding the Muslim Brotherhood: the Church is always against the death penalty
- 2014-03-24 - Patriarch Tawadros: the so-called "Arab Spring" was actually a winter
- 2014-03-06 - AFRICA/EGYPT – Coptic politician Shukrallah: what worries me is the possible return of the military to power
- 2014-03-01 - 62nd Catholic Festival of Egyptian Cinema opening ceremony
- 2014-02-25 - AFRICA/EGYPT – New rules for election of Orthodox Coptic Pope examined by civil authorities
- 2014-02-25 - “These extremists are shedding innocent blood to get more visibility” says Archbishop Martinelli