AFRICA/EGYPT - After the deposition of Morsi, reprisals against Christians
Minya (Agenzia Fides) - Among the episodes of violence in Egypt after the overthrow of President Morsi there is also the attack against the Coptic Catholic parish of St. George, in the village of Delgia, 60 kilometers from Minya. Since Wednesday evening, July 3 groups of fanatical Islamists first looted and then burned down the pastor’s house and church group buildings. "Thank God there were no victims and injuries" says to Fides Agency the Coptic Catholic Bishop of Minya Botros Fahim Awad Hanna "but the alarm continues. The fundamentalists have closed the roads at the entrance to the village. They shout slogans against Christians, they say they want to destroy everything and now they are trying again to storm the church. The local police are helpless, I called Cairo to ask for the intervention of the army."
The attack on the parish of St. George is so far the most serious incident of violence against Christians recorded in the dramatic hours experienced by the Country. But threats and intimidation against Christian communities also occur in other Egyptian places. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 04/07/2013).
- 2015-05-26 - The Council of Christian Churches celebrate the second anniversary of its founding
- 2015-05-22 - Patriarch Tawadros speaks at the conference on the "Coptic Diaspora"
- 2015-05-21 - The police free four kidnapped Copts
- 2015-05-20 - Four Copts kidnapped on the way to the Marian shrine of Jabal al-Tair
- 2015-05-19 - The Arab League welcomes the agreement between the Holy See and the State of Palestine
- 2015-05-18 - Morsi condemned to death. Coptic Catholic Bishop: "the Church never justifies death penalty for anyone"
- 2015-05-13 - President al-Sisi: so far little has been done to renew "religious speech"
- 2015-05-12 - Positive comments and controversy over the case of the Ethiopian Christians freed in Libya thanks to the Egyptian intervention
- 2015-05-05 - Coptic Patriarch Tawadros II: the possibility to celebrate Easter together on the third Sunday in April is being studied
- 2015-04-29 - Reaffirmed the right of Christian workers to start work later on Sundays