AFRICA/EGYPT - After the deposition of Morsi, reprisals against Christians
Minya (Agenzia Fides) - Among the episodes of violence in Egypt after the overthrow of President Morsi there is also the attack against the Coptic Catholic parish of St. George, in the village of Delgia, 60 kilometers from Minya. Since Wednesday evening, July 3 groups of fanatical Islamists first looted and then burned down the pastor’s house and church group buildings. "Thank God there were no victims and injuries" says to Fides Agency the Coptic Catholic Bishop of Minya Botros Fahim Awad Hanna "but the alarm continues. The fundamentalists have closed the roads at the entrance to the village. They shout slogans against Christians, they say they want to destroy everything and now they are trying again to storm the church. The local police are helpless, I called Cairo to ask for the intervention of the army."
The attack on the parish of St. George is so far the most serious incident of violence against Christians recorded in the dramatic hours experienced by the Country. But threats and intimidation against Christian communities also occur in other Egyptian places. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 04/07/2013).
- 2014-07-24 - AFRICA/EGYPT – There is no Christian in St. Anthony Abate’s hometown
- 2014-07-17 - A bill to ensure and regulate the construction of churches is being studied
- 2014-07-16 - Patriarch Tawadros II: the Bishops do not express support for candidates or political parties in elections
- 2014-07-08 - Sisi
- 2014-06-20 - Activist for Human Rights calls for the dissolution of the Salafist Party
- 2014-06-09 - New President al-Sisi enhances the role of the Coptic Church in the past and present of the nation
- 2014-05-30 - Sisi triumphs in presidential elections; Copt Catholic Bishop of Guizeh contests voices on low turnout
- 2014-05-22 - Patriarch Tawadros : let us all go and vote to elect the new President
- 2014-05-16 - Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate: priests must not make electoral propaganda
- 2014-05-07 - Coptic Patriarch Tawadros II writes to Pope Francis: let us unify the dates for the Easter celebration