AFRICA/EGYPT - After the deposition of Morsi, reprisals against Christians
Minya (Agenzia Fides) - Among the episodes of violence in Egypt after the overthrow of President Morsi there is also the attack against the Coptic Catholic parish of St. George, in the village of Delgia, 60 kilometers from Minya. Since Wednesday evening, July 3 groups of fanatical Islamists first looted and then burned down the pastor’s house and church group buildings. "Thank God there were no victims and injuries" says to Fides Agency the Coptic Catholic Bishop of Minya Botros Fahim Awad Hanna "but the alarm continues. The fundamentalists have closed the roads at the entrance to the village. They shout slogans against Christians, they say they want to destroy everything and now they are trying again to storm the church. The local police are helpless, I called Cairo to ask for the intervention of the army."
The attack on the parish of St. George is so far the most serious incident of violence against Christians recorded in the dramatic hours experienced by the Country. But threats and intimidation against Christian communities also occur in other Egyptian places. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 04/07/2013).
- 2014-10-21 - Pilgrimages in the footsteps of the Holy Family
- 2014-10-17 - Egyptian Family House grows, liaison body between Muslims and Christians
- 2014-10-09 - The children of a school take position against separated classes, based on religion
- 2014-10-03 - Intimidation against Copts who do not pay their "taxes" to a Muslim clan
- 2014-09-29 - The Coptic woman who had disappeared returns home: she did not convert but had been kidnapped
- 2014-09-27 - New rules for the construction of churches: Christians prepare their proposal
- 2014-09-25 - Kidnappings continue to the detriment of the Copts, a dentist kidnapped killed
- 2014-09-19 - The army rebuilds a Catholic school devastated by Islamists in Beni Suef
- 2014-07-24 - AFRICA/EGYPT – There is no Christian in St. Anthony Abate’s hometown
- 2014-07-17 - A bill to ensure and regulate the construction of churches is being studied