AMERICA/BOLIVIA - "Prisons have become overcrowded human warehouses", denounces the church
La Paz (Agenzia Fides) - "The Prisons of our country are overcrowded human warehouses, more than 200 per cent of what prisons can accommodate," said Father Leonardo Da Silva.
The situation of prisons in the country has become a real emergency after the closure of the prison of San Pedro in La Paz and the transfer of detainees in prisons in the rural area. Father Leonardo, says in a note sent to Fides, that he had long complained about the terrible conditions of the prisons and proposed solutions to improve the situation, but had received no response from the authorities.
"Moving people from one prison to another is not a solution, everyone should seek for deep structural changes together with the authorities and institutions working in this field," said Father Da Silva. "There are so many urgent problems such as overcrowding, people who have been waiting for a final judgment of conviction for years, the presence of minors in prisons, the health of detainees etc..." concluded Da Silva. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 04/07/2013)
- 2015-03-30 - Minors remain a forgotten Sector of the population
- 2015-03-26 - More than 6 million to vote: the Bishops call for free and fair elections
- 2015-03-25 - "Bolivia Misionera", a new website committed to formation and permanent Mission
- 2015-03-17 - The Diocese of Cochabamba in solidarity with the children of TIPNIS
- 2015-03-05 - Bolivians are asked to reflect on the vote
- 2015-02-24 - Campaign to help children in Tipnis suffering from malnutrition and poverty
- 2015-02-19 - On the way to Fifth American Mission Congress (CAM 5-COMLA 10)
- 2015-01-23 - The phenomenon of children abandoned in the streets and violence increases
- 2015-01-05 - "Open your eyes and ears": warning of the church for the election campaign
- 2014-11-18 - Towards CAM 5: Bolivia presents a preliminary work plan