AMERICA/BOLIVIA - "Prisons have become overcrowded human warehouses", denounces the church
La Paz (Agenzia Fides) - "The Prisons of our country are overcrowded human warehouses, more than 200 per cent of what prisons can accommodate," said Father Leonardo Da Silva.
The situation of prisons in the country has become a real emergency after the closure of the prison of San Pedro in La Paz and the transfer of detainees in prisons in the rural area. Father Leonardo, says in a note sent to Fides, that he had long complained about the terrible conditions of the prisons and proposed solutions to improve the situation, but had received no response from the authorities.
"Moving people from one prison to another is not a solution, everyone should seek for deep structural changes together with the authorities and institutions working in this field," said Father Da Silva. "There are so many urgent problems such as overcrowding, people who have been waiting for a final judgment of conviction for years, the presence of minors in prisons, the health of detainees etc..." concluded Da Silva. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 04/07/2013)
- 2015-11-20 - The Church strongly rejects the use of the image of the Pope for political activities
- 2015-11-13 - The Episcopal Conference: "We need and want a change"
- 2015-11-07 - The Pontifical Mission Societies in Bolivia towards the American Missionary Congress
- 2015-11-06 - 100th Assembly of the Episcopal Conference: V American Missionary Congress (CAM 5) is among the topics to be discussed
- 2015-10-15 - The Maryknoll Mission Center has been offering missionaries a valuable service for half a century
- 2015-10-12 - The Pope's message at the forum on climate: "Follow a fair and integral ecology"
- 2015-10-09 - Nuncio Diquattro representative of the Holy See at the World Conference on Climate Change
- 2015-09-17 - Intervention of Mgr. Scarpellini on the candidacy of Morales: "Alternation is an expression of democracy"
- 2015-08-19 - Heavy rains leave more than a thousand of families homeless
- 2015-08-17 - Prison conditions improve thanks to mediation by Pope Francis