AMERICA/BOLIVIA - "Prisons have become overcrowded human warehouses", denounces the church
La Paz (Agenzia Fides) - "The Prisons of our country are overcrowded human warehouses, more than 200 per cent of what prisons can accommodate," said Father Leonardo Da Silva.
The situation of prisons in the country has become a real emergency after the closure of the prison of San Pedro in La Paz and the transfer of detainees in prisons in the rural area. Father Leonardo, says in a note sent to Fides, that he had long complained about the terrible conditions of the prisons and proposed solutions to improve the situation, but had received no response from the authorities.
"Moving people from one prison to another is not a solution, everyone should seek for deep structural changes together with the authorities and institutions working in this field," said Father Da Silva. "There are so many urgent problems such as overcrowding, people who have been waiting for a final judgment of conviction for years, the presence of minors in prisons, the health of detainees etc..." concluded Da Silva. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 04/07/2013)
- 2015-08-19 - Heavy rains leave more than a thousand of families homeless
- 2015-08-17 - Prison conditions improve thanks to mediation by Pope Francis
- 2015-07-29 - Government and people commence dialogue for definitive solution
- 2015-07-24 - AMERICA/BOLIVIA – Parishes shelter demonstrators demanding solutions to the mining question
- 2015-07-09 - AMERICA/BOLIVIA – The faithful wait "standing" for the arrival of the Pope
- 2015-07-08 - "The world needs to change": Cardinal Turkson opens the World Meeting of Social Movements
- 2015-06-26 - The Pope will conclude the World Meeting of Social Movements
- 2015-05-27 - Radio and TV to announce the Gospel in the Vicariate of Nuflo de Chavez
- 2015-05-05 - Adoption campaign for children with disabilities
- 2015-04-30 - AMERICA/BOLIVIA – Linguistic Missionary Formation: a thorough preparation for the mission