AMERICA/BOLIVIA - "Prisons have become overcrowded human warehouses", denounces the church
La Paz (Agenzia Fides) - "The Prisons of our country are overcrowded human warehouses, more than 200 per cent of what prisons can accommodate," said Father Leonardo Da Silva.
The situation of prisons in the country has become a real emergency after the closure of the prison of San Pedro in La Paz and the transfer of detainees in prisons in the rural area. Father Leonardo, says in a note sent to Fides, that he had long complained about the terrible conditions of the prisons and proposed solutions to improve the situation, but had received no response from the authorities.
"Moving people from one prison to another is not a solution, everyone should seek for deep structural changes together with the authorities and institutions working in this field," said Father Da Silva. "There are so many urgent problems such as overcrowding, people who have been waiting for a final judgment of conviction for years, the presence of minors in prisons, the health of detainees etc..." concluded Da Silva. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 04/07/2013)
- 2014-09-04 - AMERICA/BOLIVIA – Catholic Bishops of Bolivia and Peru take communications course “For a culture of encounter”
- 2014-08-05 - National holiday: the Church hopes for unity and peace, in view of the forthcoming elections
- 2014-08-04 - Prevention to fight against the new phenomenon of 'micro-trafficking' of drugs
- 2014-07-10 - Insults and defamation: a campaign that has no political agenda
- 2014-06-18 - Conclusion of the G77 + China, the Church hopes for commitment in favor of the poor
- 2014-06-16 - Formation on values to combat violence and bullying
- 2014-05-26 - Meeting with the candidates: an initiative of the Church for the October elections
- 2014-05-16 - Basic Ecclesial Communities: the new face of the Church at the service of justice and peace
- 2014-04-28 - Children sold for sexual and labor exploitation and for the sale of organs
- 2014-04-09 - After the clashes, President Morales changes the minister and meets the miners