AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Catholic Radio station in Rumbek resumes broadcasting
Juba (Agenzia Fides) – Rumbek Catholic Radio Good News FM-89 resumed its normal broadcast yesterday after being ordered to go off by the Lakes State government on June 28.
According to what the website of the Catholic Radio Network reported, the Administrator of the Diocese of Rumbek, Fr. Fernando Colombo said that the Minister of State of Information has authorized the station to reopen.
It was the Minister himself who had ordered the suspension for an alleged lack of necessary authorizations.
The South Sudan Human Rights Society for Advocacy (SSHURSA), cited by Sudan Tribune, said that the suspension of Catholic radio station represents "an attack on the heart of the South Sudan’s Constitution", which guarantees freedom of expression. The Human Rights group accused the Minister of Information of abusing his powers, not following the law and acting outside his mandate.
Fr. Colombo has described as false and misleading media reports the station was closed for spreading political messages.
According to Sudan Tribune, the radio has been authorized to broadcast again after the station program manager, Peter Mapuor Makur Malith, was suspended without an apparent reason. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 03/07/2013)
- 2015-06-25 - Cholera and rains aggravate the humanitarian situation, thousands of refugees fleeing the war: the testimony of a missionary
- 2015-06-23 - Appeal from Torit: the few NGOs that have remained in South Sudan must not leave over 4 million displaced alone
- 2015-06-10 - New appeal of Christian leaders to stop the "senseless war"
- 2015-05-27 - Christian Churches: "Stop the violence, instigated by leaders, most of whom call themselves Christians"
- 2015-05-26 - Security situation worsens due to clashes
- 2015-05-04 - "Population left to themselves, we are determined to restore peace" say Christian leaders
- 2015-04-22 - Malakal: heavy fighting between soldiers from three different ethnic groups
- 2015-04-21 - Peripheral areas left to themselves due to national conflict: tribal clashes reawaken
- 2015-04-01 - "Stop the war immediately. If the parties are unable to reach agreement by themselves, then they must be persuaded to accept a solution" say Christian leaders
- 2015-03-24 - "Inexperience and corruption are the cause of civil war" says the Bishop of Wau