AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Catholic Radio station in Rumbek resumes broadcasting
Juba (Agenzia Fides) – Rumbek Catholic Radio Good News FM-89 resumed its normal broadcast yesterday after being ordered to go off by the Lakes State government on June 28.
According to what the website of the Catholic Radio Network reported, the Administrator of the Diocese of Rumbek, Fr. Fernando Colombo said that the Minister of State of Information has authorized the station to reopen.
It was the Minister himself who had ordered the suspension for an alleged lack of necessary authorizations.
The South Sudan Human Rights Society for Advocacy (SSHURSA), cited by Sudan Tribune, said that the suspension of Catholic radio station represents "an attack on the heart of the South Sudan’s Constitution", which guarantees freedom of expression. The Human Rights group accused the Minister of Information of abusing his powers, not following the law and acting outside his mandate.
Fr. Colombo has described as false and misleading media reports the station was closed for spreading political messages.
According to Sudan Tribune, the radio has been authorized to broadcast again after the station program manager, Peter Mapuor Makur Malith, was suspended without an apparent reason. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 03/07/2013)
- 2015-08-28 - The President orders the cease-fire, but expresses strong reservations on the peace agreement
- 2015-08-27 - AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN – No celebration was held in Juba for the signing of the peace agreement, "too many deaths for us to rejoice"
- 2015-08-26 - Towards the signing of the peace agreement to end the conflict described by the UN as "a threat to the peace of the entire region"
- 2015-08-11 - The peace process led by the Council of Churches begins
- 2015-08-07 - There are few hopes that the peace agreement will be signed by 17 August
- 2015-08-05 - The government of Juba rejects IGAD's peace plan, criticized by many
- 2015-08-03 - “Peace now” women march through the streets of Juba
- 2015-07-24 - AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN – School instruction during emergency situations a basic humanitarian necessity
- 2015-07-17 - "We must start again from scratch", says the Bishop Emeritus of Juba
- 2015-07-10 - New peace initiative announced by the Church on the anniversary of independence