AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - Caritas Central Africa partner in a micro-credit project for families affected by the crisis
Bangui (Agenzia Fides) - Caritas Central Africa is a partner of the United Nations Development Program (UNDP) in a project to grant micro-credit in support of the communities affected by the crisis that the Central African Republic is experiencing.
The program provides small loans to women and young people in the 4th and the 7th district of the capital, Bangui, and the families of IDPs hosted in the 1st and 2nd district of Bangui.
The project aims to facilitate the resumption of activities such as small trades and crafts, allowing beneficiaries to have an income and achieve financial independence.
The ceremonial start of the program was held at the parish Notre Dame d'Afrique in the presence of the UN representative in the Country, Sand James and Fr. Jésus Martial Demele, General Vicar, who represented the Archbishop of Bangui, Mgr. Dieudonné Nzapalainga.
Fr. Demele pointed out that "as a result of recent events, small production units that ensured living to base communities have been destroyed, forcing the population to live in insecurity."
"The poverty in which these people have sunk is at a critical moment and its consequences affect women and children. Our project aims mainly at supporting the latter," concluded the priest.
The Central African Republic lives in a precarious state after the expulsion of President François Bozizé and the arrival of the rebels of the coalition Seleka in the capital, struggling to bring the minimum conditions of safety. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 03/07/2013)
- 2013-12-09 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "The situation in Bangui is slowly normalizing, but there are still thousands of refugees in parishes"
- 2013-12-07 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "The whole country is terrorized": new testimonies on the drama of Central Africa
- 2013-12-07 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - The testimony of two missionaries who welcome the displaced people fleeing violence
- 2013-12-06 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "Apocalypse in Bangui" says Mgr. Aguirre to Fides
- 2013-12-05 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - Intense gunfire in Bangui, civilians flee
- 2013-12-03 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "The arrival of French and African troops is having positive effects"
- 2013-12-02 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - Caritas meeting in Rome on the humanitarian emergency in Central Africa
- 2013-11-26 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - Precarious situation in Central Africa; Paris announces the sending of other 800 soldiers
- 2013-11-21 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "Genocide is probably exaggerated, but anything could happen", says a missionary
- 2013-11-18 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "In Central Africa we risk a new bloodbath" says a missionary