AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - Caritas Central Africa partner in a micro-credit project for families affected by the crisis
Bangui (Agenzia Fides) - Caritas Central Africa is a partner of the United Nations Development Program (UNDP) in a project to grant micro-credit in support of the communities affected by the crisis that the Central African Republic is experiencing.
The program provides small loans to women and young people in the 4th and the 7th district of the capital, Bangui, and the families of IDPs hosted in the 1st and 2nd district of Bangui.
The project aims to facilitate the resumption of activities such as small trades and crafts, allowing beneficiaries to have an income and achieve financial independence.
The ceremonial start of the program was held at the parish Notre Dame d'Afrique in the presence of the UN representative in the Country, Sand James and Fr. Jésus Martial Demele, General Vicar, who represented the Archbishop of Bangui, Mgr. Dieudonné Nzapalainga.
Fr. Demele pointed out that "as a result of recent events, small production units that ensured living to base communities have been destroyed, forcing the population to live in insecurity."
"The poverty in which these people have sunk is at a critical moment and its consequences affect women and children. Our project aims mainly at supporting the latter," concluded the priest.
The Central African Republic lives in a precarious state after the expulsion of President François Bozizé and the arrival of the rebels of the coalition Seleka in the capital, struggling to bring the minimum conditions of safety. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 03/07/2013)
- 2015-11-23 - The video message from Pope Francis brought to the Muslims by the Archbishop of Bangui
- 2015-10-28 - Archbishop of Bangui tells Fides that he was not kidnapped during a visit to the Central Mosque
- 2015-10-14 - The PMS invite to "put an end to hostility and bickering" and ask for sanctions and compensation
- 2015-10-01 - AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA – More clashes, but people want the stability of institutions
- 2015-09-29 - Thousands of people find refuge in parishes
- 2015-09-29 - Bangui in chaos: the reconstruction of the accidents, towards an uncertain future
- 2015-09-08 - Archbishop of Bangui: "Authority and the international community have to take on their responsibility to stop the violence"
- 2015-08-19 - The 2015 Sergio Vieira de Mello Prize will be awarded to the Interfaith Peace Platform
- 2015-07-24 - AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA – Training to counter unemployment: 29 teachers receive diploma
- 2015-05-18 - "We have to be humble to have the courage to forgive one another", said the Archbishop of Bangui