ASIA/SYRIA - Military offensive on refugee camps in the north
Aleppo (Agenzia Fides) - The refugee camp in Bab al-Salam was the subject of an air raid by the Syrian Air Force where seven people were seriously injured, including a child. This was reported to Fides Agency by sources of the Time4Life association, that are assisting the refugees in the camp with humanitarian aid.
The raid took place on the night between 25 and 26 June and is the second air attack suffered by the refugee camp in recent weeks. "Our contacts in the camp - warns Mirta Neretti, a voluntary of Time4Life - fear that this is the beginning of an escalation of raid scares implemented by government armed forces also to force refugees to flee freeing the land, in view of the impending offensive of the forces pro-Assad to regain full control of Aleppo. The 17 thousand refugees in the camp, among whom there are 5 thousand children, are completely helpless and exposed to all sorts of violence".
The 1500 tents in the refugee camp of Bab al-Salam rise to eight hundred meters from the border with Turkey. Volunteers reach them by passing from the Turkish town of Kilis. The area is currently under the control of the militia of the rebels. But from Bab al-Salam there is news of troop movements of the government army - assisted by the militia of Hezbollah - even to the other refugee settlement in Atma, where there are 28 thousand refugees. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 01/07/2013).
- 2014-03-06 ASIA/SYRIA - Archbishop Hindo: Christians do not support the Kurdish autonomous entity
- 2014-03-04 ASIA/SYRIA - The Armenian Catholic Archbishop of Aleppo: During Lent prayers and fasting to ask for the gift of peace
- 2014-02-28 ASIA/SYRIA – Where to be a child is impossible
- 2014-02-28 ASIA/SYRIA - Attack on Assyrian Democratic Organization head offices
- 2014-02-18 ASIA/SYRIA - Muslim leader of the opposition: immediately release all the Christians kidnapped
- 2014-02-13 ASIA/SYRIA - Masses for the release of all the hostages
- 2014-01-28 ASIA/SYRIA - Masses and vigils for father Dall'Oglio six months after his abduction
- 2014-01-27 ASIA/SYRIA - Patriarchs Kirill and Yohanna X’s appeal at Geneva 2: only dialogue among Syrians can open glimmers of peace
- 2014-01-22 ASIA/SYRIA - The Kurds claim an autonomous government in north-east Syria. Three Christians among the 20 ministers
- 2014-01-22 ASIA/SYRIA - Geneva 2: The Jesuit Refugee Service calls for a negotiated settlement and more support to refugees