ASIA/INDIA - The Indian Church in aid of the victims of the "tsunami of the Himalayas"
New Delhi (Agenzia Fides) - Caritas India "joins the efforts of the government and other voluntary organizations in bringing solidarity and humanitarian aid to victims of the disasters that hit the people of the states of Uttaranchal and Himachal Pradesh": says a statement issued by the Catholic organization and sent to Fides Agency in the aftermath of the floods that devastated the two states in northern India, causing more than 500 deaths and affecting the lives of over 80 thousand people, many of them still trapped in the mud, waiting to be rescued. Fr. Frederick D'Souza, Executive Director of Caritas, expressing full sympathy with the victims of the disaster, stresses that one of the principles of the organization, expression of the Indian Catholic Church, is to work in partnership with institutions, meeting the real needs of the populations affected by disasters. Caritas ensures the coorporation of the whole network of national offices and network of Caritas Internationalis. Caritas India has sent personnel in the area and is trying to support families affected with clothing, food, medical equipment.
The early arrival of the summer monsoon in India has had tragic consequences in many states, under the slopes of the Himalayas. The heavy rains brought by the monsoon resulted in devastating floods in the Himalayan region of Uttaranchal that, according to the Indian Meteorological Department, has received more than three times its normal amount of rainfall expected for the month of June. On the southern slope of the Himalayas a real avalanche of water was discharged, called "the tsunami of the Himalayas", which poured out to the valley and has swallowed up whole villages and towns. In addition to the flooding, torrential rains have also caused massive landslides. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 24/06/2013)
- 2015-10-07 - The government of Maharashtra suspends a play considered offensive towards Catholics
- 2015-10-05 - Food security, a right for all
- 2015-09-30 - Catholic cemetery vandalized and violence against the faithful
- 2015-09-28 - Salesians: "At the service of the poor youth, the disadvantaged, the migrant, in South Asia"
- 2015-09-23 - Catechesis and evangelization, a task entrusted to all the baptized
- 2015-09-22 - The Andhra Pradesh government assures support to Churches
- 2015-09-18 - A Carmelite nun killed in Kerala
- 2015-09-15 - Catholic activist threatened with death by Hindu radicals
- 2015-09-14 - Christians to the President of India: "Justice for the victims of the massacres in Orissa"
- 2015-09-11 - Bombay Archdiocese to hold National Eucharistic Congress in November