AMERICA/PERU - 30 social projects thanks to the Populorum Progressio Foundation
Arequipa (Agenzia Fides) - The Populorum Progressio Foundation of the Catholic Church is committed to funding two social projects in the City of Arequipa, Peru, as Cardinal Robert Sarah, President of the Pontifical Council "Cor Unum" and ex officio President of the Foundation revealed.
Each year, the foundation created by Pope John Paul II, is able to fund between 160 and 180 projects in Latin America. The amount of this social commitment is 1 million and $ 500,000, obtained by the generosity of the faithful. For this year it is expected to fund 30 social works in Peru.
As reported to Fides by the Archdiocese of Arequipa, the meeting of the Populorum Progressio Foundation was held June 18 to 21 in the city of Arequipa, Peru (see Fides 19/06/2013), this year 222 projects were presented by from 18 Countries, in particular Colombia, Brazil, Peru and Ecuador. The projects are characterized by a broadly participatory approach on behalf of local communities that contribute in all phases of the work: from conception, to the concrete realization in the event of approval. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 22/06/2013)
- 2015-05-12 - Bishops call for urgent action and dialogue, "No more violence" for the Tia Maria case
- 2015-04-13 - Many children grow up in prison with their imprisoned mothers
- 2015-04-09 - Children forced to attend classes under trees infested by wasps
- 2015-02-05 - In August, the beatification of three missionaries killed: the first martyrs of the diocese and Peru
- 2015-02-04 - The three missionaries killed in 1991 will be beatified because they were close to the poorest
- 2015-01-27 - The Bishop of Chimbote asks protection for judges: "We are living in fear"
- 2015-01-22 - Mgr. Salvador Piñeiro re-elected President of the Episcopal Conference
- 2015-01-19 - Missionary Father Bachs has died, defender of the right to education of young people in need
- 2014-12-16 - Climate change: Christians in defense of the weak and of their suffering
- 2014-12-13 - Analysis of the socio-cultural impacts of mining and contribution of missionaries