AMERICA/PERU - 30 social projects thanks to the Populorum Progressio Foundation
Arequipa (Agenzia Fides) - The Populorum Progressio Foundation of the Catholic Church is committed to funding two social projects in the City of Arequipa, Peru, as Cardinal Robert Sarah, President of the Pontifical Council "Cor Unum" and ex officio President of the Foundation revealed.
Each year, the foundation created by Pope John Paul II, is able to fund between 160 and 180 projects in Latin America. The amount of this social commitment is 1 million and $ 500,000, obtained by the generosity of the faithful. For this year it is expected to fund 30 social works in Peru.
As reported to Fides by the Archdiocese of Arequipa, the meeting of the Populorum Progressio Foundation was held June 18 to 21 in the city of Arequipa, Peru (see Fides 19/06/2013), this year 222 projects were presented by from 18 Countries, in particular Colombia, Brazil, Peru and Ecuador. The projects are characterized by a broadly participatory approach on behalf of local communities that contribute in all phases of the work: from conception, to the concrete realization in the event of approval. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 22/06/2013)
- 2014-07-07 - The President receives requests to stop the law on therapeutic abortion
- 2014-07-04 - School conditions for poor Ashaninkas children
- 2014-07-02 - Legislation for therapeutic abortion is "immoral, unconstitutional and illegal"
- 2014-06-23 - Disabled children integrated in public schools in the south-west area of the Country
- 2014-06-13 - Denunciation of the Bishop of Puerto Maldonado for the violent intervention of the police against the miners
- 2014-05-27 - The Bishop of Chimbote: "to link all to criminality is just junk journalism"
- 2014-05-17 - Ceramic workshop in prison, with the help of the local Church
- 2014-04-16 - Small producers of pineapple take a step forward in the domestic market, with the support of Caritas
- 2014-04-02 - More than 600 former child workers have started school in the province of Chiclayo
- 2014-03-21 - Bishop of Chimbote obligated to special security measures