ASIA/IRAQ - Chaldean Patriarch Sako in Syria, the only solution is political
Rome (Agenzia Fides) - To come out of the conflict affecting Syria, "the only solution to look for is political," while the prospect of supplying arms to the rebels - favored by some Western Countries - leads to a dead end, because "blood calls for more blood, revenge calls revenge." This is how the Patriarch of Babylon of the Chaldeans Louis Raphael I Sako, contacted by Fides Agency, expresses himself on the issue that divides the international community on how to put an end to the tragedy experienced by the Syrian people. His Beatitude Sako, who in Iraq continues to inspire and support with force the efforts put in place for national reconciliation, confirms that the sectarian clashes erupted in Syria are plaguing the entire Middle East: "The Syrian conflict" the Chaldean Patriarch refers to Fides "is slowly destabilizing the entire Middle East. It is a struggle between faith groups, and the West often seems to favor the worst tendencies. Democracy cannot be imposed from above or through violent means. And in the Syrian chaos forces and interests are moving which do not seek to establish freedom." The Head of the Chaldean Church records in his pastoral ministry every day the long-term effects suffered by Christians in Iraq following the Western military intervention in Iraq: "I have visited about twenty parishes in Baghdad" says His Beatitude Sako to Fides "and I realized that in many communities there are only the poor. The rich, professionals, intellectuals, are all expatriates in the West. Only those who do not have the means to leave remain. The poor. Always more and more tired, get poorer and poorer". (GV) (Agenzia Fides 20/06/2013).
- 2015-07-01 - An international conference in Erbil to found the "League of the Chaldeans"
- 2015-06-18 - Chaldean Patriarch sends a message to Muslims for the start of Ramadan
- 2015-06-13 - Thousands of Christian homes taken by deception
- 2015-06-10 - Chaldean Patriarch: a year after the fall of Mosul, only national reconciliation can save the country
- 2015-05-15 - The Chaldean Patriarch visits Tehran: "The Iranian government supports the people and the government of Iraq"
- 2015-05-04 - Chaldean Patriarch opens discussion on the draft Constitution for the Iraqi Kurdistan Region
- 2015-05-02 - Military offensive to free the province of Nineveh. Chaldean priest: "Christians want to return to their homes"
- 2015-04-13 - Northern Iraq's displaced get own radio station
- 2015-03-30 - The Chaldean Church participates in the mourning for the death of Assyrian Patriarch Mar Dinkha IV
- 2015-03-28 - Chaldean Patriarch to the UN: the "Arab Spring" impacted negatively on Christians