ASIA/IRAQ - Chaldean Patriarch Sako in Syria, the only solution is political
Rome (Agenzia Fides) - To come out of the conflict affecting Syria, "the only solution to look for is political," while the prospect of supplying arms to the rebels - favored by some Western Countries - leads to a dead end, because "blood calls for more blood, revenge calls revenge." This is how the Patriarch of Babylon of the Chaldeans Louis Raphael I Sako, contacted by Fides Agency, expresses himself on the issue that divides the international community on how to put an end to the tragedy experienced by the Syrian people. His Beatitude Sako, who in Iraq continues to inspire and support with force the efforts put in place for national reconciliation, confirms that the sectarian clashes erupted in Syria are plaguing the entire Middle East: "The Syrian conflict" the Chaldean Patriarch refers to Fides "is slowly destabilizing the entire Middle East. It is a struggle between faith groups, and the West often seems to favor the worst tendencies. Democracy cannot be imposed from above or through violent means. And in the Syrian chaos forces and interests are moving which do not seek to establish freedom." The Head of the Chaldean Church records in his pastoral ministry every day the long-term effects suffered by Christians in Iraq following the Western military intervention in Iraq: "I have visited about twenty parishes in Baghdad" says His Beatitude Sako to Fides "and I realized that in many communities there are only the poor. The rich, professionals, intellectuals, are all expatriates in the West. Only those who do not have the means to leave remain. The poor. Always more and more tired, get poorer and poorer". (GV) (Agenzia Fides 20/06/2013).
- 2014-09-13 - The school year in the Islamic Caliphate: the teaching of Syriac and Christian names of schools have been abolished
- 2014-09-11 - ASIA/IRAQ – Air raids hit areas adjacent to two churches in Mosul
- 2014-09-10 - Syrian Catholic priest says: Christians will return to the Plain of Ninive only when and if Mosul is freed
- 2014-09-05 - Head of Caritas Lebanon: we welcome Iraqi Christian refugees, but they are determined to leave the Middle East
- 2014-09-04 - Chaldean Catholic Patriarch: to free Ninive province we need a peacekeeping operation and Christians enrolled in local police force
- 2014-08-22 - Cardinal Fernando Filoni: my mission among the sufferings of the Iraqi brothers
- 2014-08-20 - Barzani: ready to arm Christian volunteers
- 2014-07-31 - Mosul, signs of revolt against the "Islamic Caliphate". Bishop Nona: So far no church has been destroyed
- 2014-07-26 - ASIA/IRAQ – Pope Francis calls the Chaldean Patriarch. Rumors about the destruction of churches in Mosul have been denied
- 2014-07-23 - Iraqi Bishops appeal to the Prime Minister and the government: "stop the catastrophe"