ASIA/IRAQ - Chaldean Patriarch Sako in Syria, the only solution is political
Rome (Agenzia Fides) - To come out of the conflict affecting Syria, "the only solution to look for is political," while the prospect of supplying arms to the rebels - favored by some Western Countries - leads to a dead end, because "blood calls for more blood, revenge calls revenge." This is how the Patriarch of Babylon of the Chaldeans Louis Raphael I Sako, contacted by Fides Agency, expresses himself on the issue that divides the international community on how to put an end to the tragedy experienced by the Syrian people. His Beatitude Sako, who in Iraq continues to inspire and support with force the efforts put in place for national reconciliation, confirms that the sectarian clashes erupted in Syria are plaguing the entire Middle East: "The Syrian conflict" the Chaldean Patriarch refers to Fides "is slowly destabilizing the entire Middle East. It is a struggle between faith groups, and the West often seems to favor the worst tendencies. Democracy cannot be imposed from above or through violent means. And in the Syrian chaos forces and interests are moving which do not seek to establish freedom." The Head of the Chaldean Church records in his pastoral ministry every day the long-term effects suffered by Christians in Iraq following the Western military intervention in Iraq: "I have visited about twenty parishes in Baghdad" says His Beatitude Sako to Fides "and I realized that in many communities there are only the poor. The rich, professionals, intellectuals, are all expatriates in the West. Only those who do not have the means to leave remain. The poor. Always more and more tired, get poorer and poorer". (GV) (Agenzia Fides 20/06/2013).
- 2015-11-20 - Christian and Muslim leaders in Kurdistan celebrate together the "day of tolerance"
- 2015-11-13 - A kindergarten, a language and professional training center for the displaced
- 2015-11-11 - Large participation in the protest against the law on the Islamization of minors
- 2015-11-09 - Chaldean Patriarch convenes a protest against the law on the Islamization of minors
- 2015-11-05 - Even Christians demonstrate in Erbil against the law on the Islamization of minors
- 2015-10-28 - Parliament rejected the request to change the law on the religious affiliation regarding children
- 2015-10-23 - 400 young Christians take part in Kirkuk Youth Day
- 2015-10-10 - Christians in Erbil protest against corruption, "our neighborhoods are being filled with infamous clubs"
- 2015-10-09 - Two Iraqi sisters go and live among the Christian refugees camped in Erbil
- 2015-10-06 - Iraqi Ministry of Justice: Christian property will be protected