AFRICA/NIGER - "Refugees are the invisible of our time", says a missionary
Niamey (Agenzia Fides) - "The refugees are the invisible of our time," says Fr. Mauro Armanino, SMA missionary from Niamey, the capital of Niger, who shares with Fides some reflections on World Refugee Day which is celebrated today, June 20. "There is much talk about them at the moment, when they become visible in the crisis, in the camps that are set up not too far from the borders. They often become invisible when they are in town. Invisible as the poor", says the missionary.
"Refugees have a history which is too heavy to carry and too complicated to tell: words fail to do so. They experience displacement and marginalization in solitude.
An experience of abandonment and sometimes rejection. But also made of solidarity in the small things. It is above all a renewed sense of faith in God that is perceived as the only comfort in life."
Fr. Armanino believes that "the definition of a refugee is clear but it should be updated in the light of what is happening in our globalized world." "It is now difficult – he explains – to establish the difference between a refugee who has no choice but to escape from his Country to save his own life and for climatic or economic reasons."
But beyond these differences what matters, concludes the missionary is "to ensure that what is hidden becomes visible and recognized. Sharing this experience is an important sign of civilization and openness. We can humanize ourselves only by remaining together." (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 20/6/2013)
- 2015-07-06 - Noma severely affects the poorest and malnourished children
- 2015-05-21 - Civil society denounces: serious human rights violations in the east of the Country
- 2015-05-15 - Meningitis in Niger: 100 people hospitalized every day in Niamey
- 2015-04-09 - Bishops' message: "Easter, the feast of all the believers who work for peace"
- 2015-04-01 - "The churches burned in January will be protected at Easter, but then discrimination will continue as before", says a missionary
- 2015-02-19 - The day for demonstrations against Boko Haram a village is bombed by mistake on the border with Nigeria; 37 dead
- 2015-02-16 - March against Boko Haram; Christians call nation to unite
- 2015-02-14 - Testimony from Niamey: A source of inspiration for peaceful co-existence!
- 2015-02-10 - A missionary: "There is a growing feeling of anti-Christianity in Niger
- 2015-01-27 - Anti-Christian violence: the Bishops reaffirm their friendship with the Muslim community