AFRICA/CONGO DR - Appeal for peace in Katanga
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - The civil society of Katanga, in the south-east of the Democratic Republic of Congo, has launched a new appeal so that the problems of security in the province resulting from the presence of the group Mai-Mai Bakata Katanga are dealt with.
"For months, we have proposed a peace conference in Katanga to address the various economic, political and social problems of our Province," said Pierre Muteba, president of the civil society of Katanga.
According to Muteba various rebel Mai-Mai Bakata Katanga groups are active near Lubumbashi, the provincial capital, and have been posing a threat to the city for three months. On June 16, in a clash between rebels and the army, a soldier died while several injuries were registered on both sides.
The rebels were responsible for violence against the civilian population and in particular against the minority Pygmy. The Mai-Mai Bakata Katanga seem to advocate secessionist ideas but according to the Congolese press behind this group there is a battle for the succession to President Kabila, when he will have to leave power in 2016, because he will no longer be able to present himself as candidate. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 19/06/2013)
- 2014-07-10 - Appeal of Caritas: "Help us bring home more than 2,400 people expelled from Brazzaville"
- 2014-07-07 - The army and the UN did not intervene to stop the massacre in Mutarule, HRW denounces
- 2014-07-02 - The Bishops recall "the sacred duty to protect the nation and preserve peace"
- 2014-06-26 - Emergency continues for girls accused of witchcraft
- 2014-06-25 - "Address the problem of Rwandan Hutu militias once and for all" ask the missionaries
- 2014-06-17 - The Congolese doctor who helps victims of sexual violence:"rape is a weapon of mass destruction"
- 2014-06-13 - Clashes at the border with Rwanda: Civil society calls for the intervention of the international community
- 2014-06-12 - Massacre in South Kivu: it is not land conflict but clash among local politicians
- 2014-06-09 - Appeal for the release of 900 hostages, including three Assumptionist fathers kidnapped in 2012
- 2014-06-04 - Congolese expelled from Brazzaville: the two governments form a committee to verify human rights violations