AFRICA/CONGO DR - Appeal for peace in Katanga
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - The civil society of Katanga, in the south-east of the Democratic Republic of Congo, has launched a new appeal so that the problems of security in the province resulting from the presence of the group Mai-Mai Bakata Katanga are dealt with.
"For months, we have proposed a peace conference in Katanga to address the various economic, political and social problems of our Province," said Pierre Muteba, president of the civil society of Katanga.
According to Muteba various rebel Mai-Mai Bakata Katanga groups are active near Lubumbashi, the provincial capital, and have been posing a threat to the city for three months. On June 16, in a clash between rebels and the army, a soldier died while several injuries were registered on both sides.
The rebels were responsible for violence against the civilian population and in particular against the minority Pygmy. The Mai-Mai Bakata Katanga seem to advocate secessionist ideas but according to the Congolese press behind this group there is a battle for the succession to President Kabila, when he will have to leave power in 2016, because he will no longer be able to present himself as candidate. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 19/06/2013)
- 2013-11-22 AFRICA/CONGO DR - "President, reinforce the presence of the State" is what civil society in North Kivu asks Kabila
- 2013-11-15 AFRICA/CONGO DR - Still instability in North Kivu: new attacks against civilians
- 2013-11-14 AFRICA/CONGO DR - The social market economy at the service of the individual and the community
- 2013-11-13 AFRICA/CONGO DR - Rwandan military deployed 3 km from Goma, civil society denounces
- 2013-11-12 AFRICA/DR CONGO - Catholics and Anglicans together for peace in the Great Lakes
- 2013-11-06 AFRICA/CONGO DR - The defeat of the M23: a historic victory for the Congolese army
- 2013-11-05 AFRICA/DR CONGO - The M23 surrenders but first bombards civilians, accuse local sources
- 2013-11-04 AFRICA/CONGO DR - The defeat of the M23 seems likely but there are 40 other armed groups in North Kivu
- 2013-10-28 AFRICA/CONGO DR - M23 : "There are several mass graves in addition to those already found" denounces civil society
- 2013-10-25 AFRICA/CONGO DR - Fighting between the army and M23 have resumed