AFRICA/CONGO DR - Appeal for peace in Katanga
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - The civil society of Katanga, in the south-east of the Democratic Republic of Congo, has launched a new appeal so that the problems of security in the province resulting from the presence of the group Mai-Mai Bakata Katanga are dealt with.
"For months, we have proposed a peace conference in Katanga to address the various economic, political and social problems of our Province," said Pierre Muteba, president of the civil society of Katanga.
According to Muteba various rebel Mai-Mai Bakata Katanga groups are active near Lubumbashi, the provincial capital, and have been posing a threat to the city for three months. On June 16, in a clash between rebels and the army, a soldier died while several injuries were registered on both sides.
The rebels were responsible for violence against the civilian population and in particular against the minority Pygmy. The Mai-Mai Bakata Katanga seem to advocate secessionist ideas but according to the Congolese press behind this group there is a battle for the succession to President Kabila, when he will have to leave power in 2016, because he will no longer be able to present himself as candidate. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 19/06/2013)
- 2014-10-24 - The youth of South Kivu with the Bishops against the amendment of the Constitution
- 2014-10-17 - At least 30 people have died in the guerrilla assault in the town of Beni
- 2014-10-16 - Bishops' strong condemnation regarding the attack against priests and religious women in Lodja
- 2014-10-14 - New threats to priests and religious women because of the opposition of the Bishops to the constitutional amendment
- 2014-10-06 - Violence in the areas that the army has declared "free" from the guerrillas continue
- 2014-10-02 - Initiatives on behalf of "Justice and Peace" for reconciliation between Congolese and Rwandans
- 2014-09-22 - More than 70,000 children accused of witchcraft and persecuted
- 2014-09-17 - "No to the revision of the Constitution, because it puts at risk the stability of the Country", say the Bishops
- 2014-09-15 - “A lively Church but the faith needs to be deepened” says President of the Catholic Bishops’ Conference
- 2014-09-12 - Civil society: "the press in Rwanda is being provocative with regards to the border lines"