AFRICA/CONGO DR - Appeal for peace in Katanga
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - The civil society of Katanga, in the south-east of the Democratic Republic of Congo, has launched a new appeal so that the problems of security in the province resulting from the presence of the group Mai-Mai Bakata Katanga are dealt with.
"For months, we have proposed a peace conference in Katanga to address the various economic, political and social problems of our Province," said Pierre Muteba, president of the civil society of Katanga.
According to Muteba various rebel Mai-Mai Bakata Katanga groups are active near Lubumbashi, the provincial capital, and have been posing a threat to the city for three months. On June 16, in a clash between rebels and the army, a soldier died while several injuries were registered on both sides.
The rebels were responsible for violence against the civilian population and in particular against the minority Pygmy. The Mai-Mai Bakata Katanga seem to advocate secessionist ideas but according to the Congolese press behind this group there is a battle for the succession to President Kabila, when he will have to leave power in 2016, because he will no longer be able to present himself as candidate. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 19/06/2013)
- 2014-11-19 - Ebola: No new cases registered in the Country
- 2014-11-17 - Stop to minerals of war: appeal to the European Union so that it strengthen controls
- 2014-11-07 - "We want thorough investigation into the violence against the clergy in Lodja" asks civil society
- 2014-11-05 - New massacres in Beni, the people are exasperated and protest in the streets
- 2014-11-03 - Constitutional Amendment: Kinshasa looks at what is happening in Ouagadougou
- 2014-10-28 - A Congolese priest has disappeared for three weeks in Ituri
- 2014-10-27 - The debate on the constitutional reform creates a power vacuum and emphasizes the political instability
- 2014-10-24 - The youth of South Kivu with the Bishops against the amendment of the Constitution
- 2014-10-17 - At least 30 people have died in the guerrilla assault in the town of Beni
- 2014-10-16 - Bishops' strong condemnation regarding the attack against priests and religious women in Lodja