AMERICA/CHILE - Campaign in favor of the elderly with financial difficulties
Punta Arenas (Agenzia Fides) - The Diocese of Punta Arenas, through a campaign entitled "Fraternal Magallanes," has launched a pilot project for the elderly abandoned or who barely survive without assistance.
The project, according to a note sent to Fides by the diocese, includes a team of volunteers who visit the homes of the elderly in poor economic conditions. So far 10 elderly people have been contacted to ascertain their specific needs, in order to help alleviate their condition of loneliness.
The elderly are between 83 to 95 years old.
The head of the commission of the diocese for the pastoral care of the elderly, Ana Isabel Iturra, who is carrying out this initiative with Bishop Mgr. Bernardo Miguel Bastres Florence, S.D.B., said that these people have different needs, "in some cases they need company, some are not able to go to the grocery store or go to the post office to pay the bills, others have no wood to keep themselves warm." There are even elderly people who do not eat for a week because they have no economic means. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 14/06/2013)
- 2014-06-26 - Wüñol Tripantu, the Mapuche celebration of the rebirth of life
- 2014-06-20 - "Here we are Lord, in the World Cup": special section on the website of the Catholic Bishops' Conference
- 2014-05-30 - AMERICA/CHILE – Local Catholic Church committed to educational reform nation wide
- 2014-05-07 - The decline in vocations to priesthood at the center of the Assembly of Bishops of Chile
- 2014-04-14 - Card. Ezzati’s appeal: Solidarity with the people of Valparaiso after the tragic fire
- 2014-01-09 - Peru and Chile, brotherly peoples
- 2014-01-07 - "One should listen to the Mapuche people in order to resolve the conflict in Araucanía" asks the Bishop of Temuco
- 2013-12-17 - "Supporting initiatives in favor of development": the President of the Bishops' Conference meets newly elected President Bachelet
- 2013-12-16 - Michelle Bachelet, Chile's new president
- 2013-11-23 - A community divided in two in order to protect the environment threatened by the Pascua Lama project