AMERICA/CHILE - Campaign in favor of the elderly with financial difficulties
Punta Arenas (Agenzia Fides) - The Diocese of Punta Arenas, through a campaign entitled "Fraternal Magallanes," has launched a pilot project for the elderly abandoned or who barely survive without assistance.
The project, according to a note sent to Fides by the diocese, includes a team of volunteers who visit the homes of the elderly in poor economic conditions. So far 10 elderly people have been contacted to ascertain their specific needs, in order to help alleviate their condition of loneliness.
The elderly are between 83 to 95 years old.
The head of the commission of the diocese for the pastoral care of the elderly, Ana Isabel Iturra, who is carrying out this initiative with Bishop Mgr. Bernardo Miguel Bastres Florence, S.D.B., said that these people have different needs, "in some cases they need company, some are not able to go to the grocery store or go to the post office to pay the bills, others have no wood to keep themselves warm." There are even elderly people who do not eat for a week because they have no economic means. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 14/06/2013)
- 2015-05-19 - The main problems of childhood in Chile: Sexual exploitation, trafficking, drugs, alcohol
- 2015-05-18 - First agreement between former political prisoners and government, Mgr. Goic President of the Commission
- 2015-05-16 - Two students die during the protests; the Church appeals for non-violence
- 2015-05-06 - Bishops' statement: "The right to truth, forgiveness is not impunity"
- 2015-04-15 - Protection of life and communication in the Church's mission, priority in the Chilean Church
- 2015-04-14 - Floods force more than 40 000 children not to go to school
- 2015-03-30 - Floods and landslides: 12 dead and thousands displaced, Caritas at work
- 2015-02-23 - Rudimental bomb explodes near a parish in the capital
- 2015-01-29 - "We have lost a great opportunity": criticism regarding the Law on Education
- 2014-11-19 - Bishops support: "an educational reform for the good of the nation"