AMERICA/CHILE - Campaign in favor of the elderly with financial difficulties
Punta Arenas (Agenzia Fides) - The Diocese of Punta Arenas, through a campaign entitled "Fraternal Magallanes," has launched a pilot project for the elderly abandoned or who barely survive without assistance.
The project, according to a note sent to Fides by the diocese, includes a team of volunteers who visit the homes of the elderly in poor economic conditions. So far 10 elderly people have been contacted to ascertain their specific needs, in order to help alleviate their condition of loneliness.
The elderly are between 83 to 95 years old.
The head of the commission of the diocese for the pastoral care of the elderly, Ana Isabel Iturra, who is carrying out this initiative with Bishop Mgr. Bernardo Miguel Bastres Florence, S.D.B., said that these people have different needs, "in some cases they need company, some are not able to go to the grocery store or go to the post office to pay the bills, others have no wood to keep themselves warm." There are even elderly people who do not eat for a week because they have no economic means. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 14/06/2013)
- 2013-11-23 AMERICA/CHILE - A community divided in two in order to protect the environment threatened by the Pascua Lama project
- 2013-11-22 AMERICA/CHILE - Solidarity of the Chilean Church to the victims of the typhoon that hit the Philippines
- 2013-11-08 AMERICA/CHILE – Mgr. Ezzati re-elected President of the CECh; waiting for the final message of the Assembly
- 2013-10-15 AMERICA/CHILE - A 12-meter missionary cross to conclude the "Youth Mission"
- 2013-10-11 AMERICA/CHILE - "Water should not be anyone's privilege": the first congress for water in Chile
- 2013-10-09 AMERICA/CHILE - "All missionaries and for the whole world": the contribution of Chile to the missions
- 2013-09-18 AMERICA/CHILE – To love ones homeland inside prisons: Mgr. Chomali celebrates with inmates
- 2013-09-18 AMERICA/CHILE - Ecumenical Te Deum for the 203 years of independence of Chile
- 2013-09-10 AMERICA/CHILE - "Reconciliation cannot be imposed": Bishops 40 years after the Pinochet coup
- 2013-08-01 AMERICA/CHILE - A pilot program for street children