AFRICA/NIGER - Gunfight in Niamey, maybe it was a false alarm
Niamey (Agenzia Fides) – It seems that the shooting near the national gendarmerie school of Niamey, capital of Niger, on the night between 11 and 12 June is not as serious as one thought. A missionary source told Fides that according to "police authorities in Niger and security guards, it was a "simple" loss of control on behalf of the guards. Fortunately no one was injured".
"Everyone is nervous, either because no they sleep poorly without any electricity, or because they saw their comrades killed in the attacks of Agadez, Arlit and in the prison of Niamey," comments our source. The lack of electricity casts the city in the dark, which can promote the attacks of armed groups.
If the attack against the gendarmerie school is confirmed it would be the fourth attack carried out by jihadist groups in Niger in the last month.
The situation in the capital of Niger remains tense because, as reported by the missionary, "the authorities repeat the appeal not to go out at night unless necessary."
"The central areas of the city are blocked with barbed. Even the road that passes in front of the presidency of the republic, has been closed."
"For those who, like myself, has been here for thirty years, these measures are not new. Until the mid-90s no taxi would have passed in front of the presidency nor in front of the presidential guard, even though the streets were open, " concludes the missionary. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 13/06/2013)
- 2015-01-27 - Anti-Christian violence: the Bishops reaffirm their friendship with the Muslim community
- 2015-01-22 - Anti-Christian Violence: Bishops suspend all activities of the Church
- 2015-01-22 - Churches and convents burned, schools and dispensaries closed
- 2015-01-15 - medical centre in Dosso, for the welfare of women and children
- 2015-01-07 - The Archbishop of Niamey: "More and more young Nigeriens are being enlisted in the Boko Haram movement, especially in the region of Diffa"
- 2014-11-21 - Malaria: preventive treatment to 735 000 children
- 2014-10-02 - The Bishops' message to the Muslim community: "May the example of Abraham bear fruits of mutual respect"
- 2014-07-18 - New French military mission for the Sahel, but not everyone agrees
- 2014-04-30 - Bishops alarm: "The political situation is serious; the democratic climate is deteriorating day by day"
- 2014-04-25 - Malaria: Each year more than a million people die, mostly in Africa