AFRICA/NIGER - Gunfight in Niamey, maybe it was a false alarm
Niamey (Agenzia Fides) – It seems that the shooting near the national gendarmerie school of Niamey, capital of Niger, on the night between 11 and 12 June is not as serious as one thought. A missionary source told Fides that according to "police authorities in Niger and security guards, it was a "simple" loss of control on behalf of the guards. Fortunately no one was injured".
"Everyone is nervous, either because no they sleep poorly without any electricity, or because they saw their comrades killed in the attacks of Agadez, Arlit and in the prison of Niamey," comments our source. The lack of electricity casts the city in the dark, which can promote the attacks of armed groups.
If the attack against the gendarmerie school is confirmed it would be the fourth attack carried out by jihadist groups in Niger in the last month.
The situation in the capital of Niger remains tense because, as reported by the missionary, "the authorities repeat the appeal not to go out at night unless necessary."
"The central areas of the city are blocked with barbed. Even the road that passes in front of the presidency of the republic, has been closed."
"For those who, like myself, has been here for thirty years, these measures are not new. Until the mid-90s no taxi would have passed in front of the presidency nor in front of the presidential guard, even though the streets were open, " concludes the missionary. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 13/06/2013)
- 2013-10-09 AFRICA/NIGER - 79,087 cases and 362 children under 5 years of age have died from severe acute malnutrition
- 2013-09-05 AFRICA/NIGER - Prevention against malaria for more than 180,000 children
- 2013-08-08 AFRICA/NIGER – To safeguard Creation at the center of the Bishops’ message for the end of Ramadan
- 2013-06-20 AFRICA/NIGER - "Refugees are the invisible of our time", says a missionary
- 2013-06-13 AFRICA/NIGER - Gunfight in Niamey, maybe it was a false alarm
- 2013-06-10 AFRICA/NIGER - The first Bishop from Niger in Niamey
- 2013-06-04 AFRICA/NIGER - The assault on the prison of Niamey reveals the links between Boko Haram and groups of Mali
- 2013-06-03 AFRICA/NIGER - About a dozen people have died in the assault in the prison in Niamey
- 2013-05-23 AFRICA/NIGER - Fear of further outbreaks of cholera in refugee camps
- 2013-01-17 AFRICA/NIGER - Diseases, floods, damage to agriculture: heavy rains continue to hit the country