AFRICA/SENEGAL - Young Catholics from Senegal for peace in Casamance
Dakar (Agenzia Fides) - La Jeunesse Etudiante Catholique (JEC) of Senegal is committed to peace in the Casamance region of Senegal wedged between Gambia and Guinea Bissau, for decades in the throes of a "low-intensity" secessionist war.
The JEC has created the Réseau National des Jeunes pour la Paix en Casamance (RENAPEC) with the participation of young people from 14 regions of the Country. The aim is to involve all the youth of Senegal, in collaboration with religious and political leaders, local authorities and NGOs, to restore peace in the region.
The coordinator of the RENAPEC said that all the Senegalese must be involved in the peace process, not just those who live in Casamance. "Ours is a network of action. The focal points installed in different departments of the Country must begin actions to promote peace in Casamance."
The General Director of the group Avenir Communication, Madiambal Diagne, pointed out that "those who fight the guerrillas, both from the side of the rebels and from that of the military government, are all young people."
The initiative stems from the reflections during the Forum of student leaders and women of Casamance, which was held at the University of Ziguinchor in July last year. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 11/06/2013)
- 2013-09-09 AFRICA/SENEGAL - The Nuncio in Senegal denounces the "selfish interests" that prevent peace in Syria
- 2013-06-11 AFRICA/SENEGAL - Young Catholics from Senegal for peace in Casamance
- 2013-04-17 AFRICA/SENEGAL - The phenomenon of the 'talibé' continues to worsen: 20,000 every day in Dakar alone
- 2013-01-24 AFRICA/SENEGAL - Two purifiers will allow 1,800 people to have drinking water
- 2012-12-10 AFRICA/SENEGAL - Cardinal Sarr remembers the Caliph of Tidjaniyya, "man of respect, man of God"
- 2012-10-12 AFRICA/SENEGAL - More than 160 graves desecrated in two Catholic cemeteries, bronze crosses stolen
- 2012-08-29 AFRICA/SENEGAL - Church’s appeal to help the victims of the torrential rains
- 2012-06-20 AFRICA/SENEGAL - Emergency food crisis: 800 000 people are undernourished, millions of children at risk
- 2012-04-24 AFRICA/SENEGAL - Ziguinchor celebrating the ordination of its fourth Bishop
- 2012-03-26 AFRICA/SENEGAL - The recognition of Macky Sall’s victory by outgoing President Wade: may he be an example for all of Africa