AFRICA/SENEGAL - Young Catholics from Senegal for peace in Casamance
Dakar (Agenzia Fides) - La Jeunesse Etudiante Catholique (JEC) of Senegal is committed to peace in the Casamance region of Senegal wedged between Gambia and Guinea Bissau, for decades in the throes of a "low-intensity" secessionist war.
The JEC has created the Réseau National des Jeunes pour la Paix en Casamance (RENAPEC) with the participation of young people from 14 regions of the Country. The aim is to involve all the youth of Senegal, in collaboration with religious and political leaders, local authorities and NGOs, to restore peace in the region.
The coordinator of the RENAPEC said that all the Senegalese must be involved in the peace process, not just those who live in Casamance. "Ours is a network of action. The focal points installed in different departments of the Country must begin actions to promote peace in Casamance."
The General Director of the group Avenir Communication, Madiambal Diagne, pointed out that "those who fight the guerrillas, both from the side of the rebels and from that of the military government, are all young people."
The initiative stems from the reflections during the Forum of student leaders and women of Casamance, which was held at the University of Ziguinchor in July last year. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 11/06/2013)
- 2015-01-23 - AFRICA/SENEGAL – Bishops: "No to violence in God's name, but be careful not to offend religious feelings"
- 2015-01-13 - Over 10,000 children at the yearly pilgrimage organized by Missionary Childhood
- 2015-01-12 - Casamance: "Stalemate, the peace process must be relaunched" says the Bishop of Ziguinchor
- 2014-11-13 - "Dialogue between Christians and Muslims is possible, but must be nurtured constantly", said Mgr. Ndiaye
- 2014-09-29 - "Twelve years after the tragedy of the ferry Joola, ships are still overloaded and continue to travel" denounces the Church
- 2014-09-01 - Ebola: “Keep watch, do not panic” says the local Church
- 2014-06-16 - "Do not give in to vote trading" Bishops' appeal in view of the elections on 29 June
- 2014-01-16 - The 8000 Dakar missionaries committed to bringing "the joy of the Gospel" everywhere,
- 2013-09-09 - The Nuncio in Senegal denounces the "selfish interests" that prevent peace in Syria
- 2013-06-11 - Young Catholics from Senegal for peace in Casamance