AMERICA/MEXICO - The disarmament campaign continues with the help of the Church: More than 5000 weapons recovered
Mexico City (Agenzia Fides) - In the first five months of 2013, the government of the Federal District collected, in 15 of the 16 delegations of the city, 5,522 firearms. It is a fact that confirms the good outcome of the campaign, since in the four previous years the weapons recovered were 5,433.
The program's success is due to the change in strategy, says Rosa Isela Rodriguez, secretary of the social development program, in a note sent to Fides.
Weapons are sold through a sort of bartering for which 7 million pesos were allocated: Who delivers weapons can receive in exchange a sum of money or pieces of furniture, electronic equipment and groceries.
Among the weapons collected there are 3,903 handguns (pistols), 1,259 rifles. There are also 356 grenades and 44,448 cartridges, exchanged with bicycles, groceries, appliances, tablets and laptops.
The authorities are very enthusiastic about the support offered by the Catholic Church to the campaign, because, according to the note: "people completely trust the priests and bishops’ word, and also because the exchange takes place in front of the churches".
In the atrium of the Metropolitan Cathedral in Mexico City, speaking before the head of the city government, Miguel Angel Mancera, Cardinal Norberto Rivera said that in addition to the disarmament of the population, measures are needed to strengthen the family unit in order to allow families to become a space of harmony, peace and tolerance.
The Cardinal then pointed out that the campaign "For your Family a voluntary disarmament", is the one that achieved the best results, and is expected to soon exceed the 6 thousand delivered weapons. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 11/06/2013)
- 2015-11-18 - AMERICA/MEXICO – The missing priest's body found, he had been set on fire
- 2015-11-17 - Parish priest in Cook has been missing for days
- 2015-11-16 - The child martyrs of Tlaxcala: martyrs of all Latin America
- 2015-11-12 - Minors not allowed to work in the sugarcane fields
- 2015-11-10 - A battlefield where migrants suffer, are attacked, die
- 2015-11-06 - Mgr. Arizmendi inaugurates a house of the migrant in Tuxtla Gutierrez
- 2015-11-05 - Bishops' appeal for peace: "Dialogue with everyone, even with organized crime"
- 2015-11-03 - For the first time in Mexican history a Pope's encyclical will be presented in the Senate
- 2015-10-27 - “Drugs are drugs even when sold as medicines”: the Catholic stance
- 2015-10-27 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Children in mining areas risk lead poisoning