AMERICA/MEXICO - "Filing immigrants is a shame", denounces Fr. Solalinde
Mexico City (Agenzia Fides) - "It is a degrading and embarrassing act for our Central American brothers and sisters who are filed as soon as they cross the southern border of Mexico," is the complaint by Fr Alejandro Solalinde, head of the "Casa del Migrante" in Ciudad Ixtepec and well-known for his actions in favor of immigrants.
According to Father Solalinde this decision demonstrates that Mexico has become an extra member of the security system of the United States through the National Institute of Immigration, an essential tool used by the U.S. to obtain information on immigrants.
According to a statement sent to Fides, the newspaper Millennium announced that a system that records the iris, fingerprints and the face of all those who cross the southern border of Mexico will be installed. It is estimated that about 300 thousand "irregular" Central Americans pass through that area every year.
Fr. Solalinde explained to the press that this project meets the needs of the United States, not Mexico, because "we do not have terrorism, and what they want, is to prevent the entry from our border." The priest added that "for now it is only to identify the immigrants, but then we will be asked to stop them and this becomes a big problem, because prisons are full and without adequate infrastructure." Fr. Solalinde concluded by saying that "to put into effect a provision of the United States is a real shame, while the Mexicans are not able to develop an immigration policy because the issue is not a priority on the national agenda. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 10/06/2013)
- 2015-08-03 - Solidarity Prize: Spanish Bishops in favour of Las Patronas candidature
- 2015-07-27 - Mariachi Zombie: amusing animated television series discredits bad zombie myth
- 2015-07-22 - Truth, justice, forgiveness and reconciliation: the pillars of peace promoted by the Church
- 2015-07-20 - Young Chiapas form an orchestra with pre-Hispanic instruments
- 2015-07-14 - Bishops on the escape of El Chapo, "we are not naive, we must eradicate corruption"
- 2015-07-13 - "Corruption spreads when transparency remains only good intentions": the Catholic voice before the scandals
- 2015-07-02 - A recreational project for indigenous children of different ethnicities
- 2015-07-02 - Widespread violence does not spare even three elderly nuns
- 2015-06-25 - Periodic monitoring of the situation of migrants, joint efforts of government and Church
- 2015-06-15 - Bishop of Mazatlan’s appeal after the violence perpetrated during the weekend