ASIA/VIETNAM - Support Groups for families with disabled children
Da Nang (Agenzia Fides) - Children with disabilities are the most subject to violence and abuse of all kinds, they are often exploited, kept hidden or locked up in institutions and are therefore among the most marginalized people in the world. To cope with the phenomenon, very popular also in the district of Cam Le, in Da Nang in central Vietnam, people with disabilities are assisted by a group of local benefactors Children of Vietnam (COV). As part of their program Hope System of Care the COV prepares professionals to help families with disabled children to have access to the services already provided by the local government. In the district about 30 well-trained health workers have been given seven families each. At least once every two months they organize a meeting where they do not only provide practical advice, but also emotional support. Parents often call each other for advice or just to chat. The COV also offers additional assistance in the form of micro-credit and training. Thanks to this group many children are able to be integrated in special schools, instead of being taught at home. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 05/06/2013)
- 2014-11-19 - Attacks and arrests in a Mennonite Christian Center
- 2014-10-31 - Catholics in Hanoi demand the return of a land that belongs to the Church
- 2014-10-20 - The Archbishop of Ho Chi Minh city: prayer and hope for the Vatican-Vietnam diplomatic ties
- 2014-09-23 - Family, cradle of faith and of Christian witness
- 2014-09-12 - Land is a source of livelihood for 14% of the indigenous people living in the Country
- 2014-08-01 - The UN Special Rapporteur: "Serious violations of religious freedom"
- 2014-07-22 - "UN expert on religious freedom will visit Viet Nam to assess the situation in the country"
- 2014-07-02 - "Christian family, the cradle of vocations to priesthood" for the Church in Vietnam
- 2014-06-26 - Brutal police repression on Christians Mennonites
- 2014-05-27 - Tensions with China: the faithful pray for justice and peace